• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered a Crockett .32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that the priming compound would be a pain to get into the the caps. I was just thinking as a backup. I can find what I need. I was just thinking if caps became hard to come by.

Now along another line. Do you buy pre made patches or make your own patch lube? What is easier for you? I can get lots of Hornaday . 310 or .311 balls locally. I’ve thought about wanting to cast my own. Again, another rabbit hole. And I’ll apologize ahead of time for all the questions, ideas etc..

Anthony
This may help you get started.
1670346913505.png

1670346937483.png

The consensus is to use Duco cement mixed with acetone to keep the primer mixture in the cap. I bought the Duco but have not used it yet. Page 5 of my thread one of the guys posted a video on it. Home Made Percussion Caps Review

The cap maker really is worth the piece of mind that you will never run out of caps as long as you have the primer mixture. It is relaxing making the caps just like casting balls.
I've threatened to buy the stuff and try it several times, but I just haven't yet.

Thank you! I’ll be looking for these items to get started. I found a seller on eBay that had a lot of supplies for the .32. I’m tempted to buy it just to get started.

Anthony
The jags just run about 4 or 5 bucks each and I can't remember what the patches cost, but they were not much either.

Off topic: i have come so close so many times tobuying a Crockett. Each time I get stuck wondering if I would rather have a 36 Pietta revolver. Are they accurate enough? I know they can't group like the rifle but I still think about the revolver. A lot. Wish I could.
Buy both.

I've threatened to buy the stuff and try it several times, but I just haven't yet.
Trapper I have both the #10 and #11 kits from 22LR. Bought them about a year ago but have never used them yet. So the verdict for me is still out but it’s kinda nice to know there in the cabinet.

Off topic: i have come so close so many times tobuying a Crockett. Each time I get stuck wondering if I would rather have a 36 Pietta revolver. Are they accurate enough? I know they can't group like the rifle but I still think about the revolver. A lot. Wish I could.
Buy both.
Both are nice, but I’d buy the Crockett first, if you can find one now. I’ve been looking the last couple of days and don’t see many.

Trapper I have both the #10 and #11 kits from 22LR. Bought them about a year ago but have never used them yet. So the verdict for me is still out but it’s kinda nice to know there in the cabinet.
Maybe a few years ago I could have done it but I would just make a mess if I had one of those kits now. My hands shake much too badly for doing that kind of work.

Maybe a few years ago I could have done it but I would just make a mess if I had one of those kits now. My hands shake much too badly for doing that kind of work.
I didn’t think about that aspect for you. Does seem that it would be tedious work. Mine are likely to stay safe in their packaging anyway!

I didn’t think about that aspect for you. Does seem that it would be tedious work. Mine are likely to stay safe in their packaging anyway!
Maybe I could get one of my grandkids interested one day. I already have the oldest on the hook for muzzleloading, so if he shows some interest in it I would buy the kits just to keep him in the sport.

I have been wanting to get one of those Crockett rifles for some time. Same as you, I want it for tree rats. Perhaps after the new year, I'll make it happen.

Good luck with your critter gitter and we hope you stay around and post up some success photos!

I have been wanting to get one of those Crockett rifles for some time. Same as you, I want it for tree rats. Perhaps after the new year, I'll make it happen.

Good luck with your critter gitter and we hope you stay around and post up some success photos!
Thank you! I plan on being around for a long time, lord willing. I appreciate all the support and information that I’ve received. I will definitely show my progress.

On a side note, I did receive an email telling me that my Crockett was in process. So, hopefully I’ll receive a shipment email soon.

Anthony

Great little rifles, I ordered a kit from Midway and finished it a couple of months ago. I replaced the tang and lock screws, as well as the sights with parts that I bought from TOW, and after stripping the faux case coloring from the lock, I defarbed the barrel, then browned all steel parts with Laurel Mtn browning solution. I blackened the brass with a solution we use here at the shop for other brass. I reshaped the stock, removing a fair amount of wood on the fore end and thinned buttstock and lengthened the wrist. It turned out better than expected. Here is a link to the photo album.

Crockett Rifle Kit From Start to Finish

Last edited:
FYI- The barrel and breech in my new Crockett had some kind of grease in them that hot water and soap didn't remove. I suggest you remove the nipple and cleanout screw and run a thin pipe cleaner soaked in solvent through there. Maybe even lap the barrel to clean up the rough edges before you shoot it.

Great little rifles, I ordered a kit from Midway and finished it a couple of months ago. I replaced the tang and lock screws, as well as the sights with parts that I bought from TOW, and after stripping the faux case coloring from the lock, I defarbed the barrel, then browned all steel parts with Laurel Mtn browning solution. I blackened the brass with a solution we use here at the shop for other brass. I reshaped the stock, removing a fair amount of wood on the fore end and thinned buttstock and lengthened the wrist. It turned out better than expected. Here is a link to the photo album.

Crockett Rifle Kit From Start to Finish
Looks good. How did you apply those “stars” around the muzzle? That was a very nice touch!

Looks good. How did you apply those “stars” around the muzzle? That was a very nice touch!
I used a jeweler's stamp type punch that I bought from Thunderbird Supply, Gallup, NM, years ago. Never used it on silver, and really didn't know if it was hardened enough for steel, but it worked and the stamp was not damaged. I just eyeballed stamping the starburst so it's not perfect.

I used a jeweler's stamp type punch that I bought from Thunderbird Supply, Gallup, NM, years ago. Never used it on silver, and really didn't know if it was hardened enough for steel, but it worked and the stamp was not damaged. I just eyeballed stamping the starburst so it's not perfect.
That is really cool. Looks great!
I have seen that type of design around the muzzle only a few times. Do you happen to know if this was something that they did way back when? It appears that it could very well be a historically correct feature, but I haven’t seen examples of it myself.
At any rate, good job on that build.

FYI- The barrel and breech in my new Crockett had some kind of grease in them that hot water and soap didn't remove. I suggest you remove the nipple and cleanout screw and run a thin pipe cleaner soaked in solvent through there. Maybe even lap the barrel to clean up the rough edges before you shoot it.
Thank you! I will definitely make sure to do that. I plan on giving it a good cleaning once I get it.

Back