• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well Now............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn't think there was going to be a spring squirrel season in KY this year. Looked a few times at the F&G web site and all it showed was a fall season. Decided to type in the search using different wording and it popped right up. May 20 through June 16.

Just ordered a Tom A Hanks peep sight for my Crockett rifle. If things go as planned, I should have a good, accurate load worked up using a peep this time. Between having old eyes, being in bad need of new glasses, as well as the stock sights, I had a very difficult time obtaining a clear site picture during late season. Fact of the matter is, I have a difficult time seeing any open sights regardless of proper corrective lenses. So I'm putting a lot of faith in the new peep. Took my TC peep and just laid it on top of the tang and I was amazed at how much better I could see the end bead, as well as father out such as a spot on a tree. The TC peep made all the difference on my New Englander.

Received some .015 pillow ticking from October Country for my Crockett rifle and want to try different powder charges as well. Didn't get to squirrel hunt all that much during the late season due to getting my Crockett rifle late. But man on man, I do love chasing those bushy tail gray squirrels around these mountains and hills with that little ML. It's a real hoot.

So yeah, looking like its about 60 days away until I can get back at it. I'm a hard core flathead fisherman and prime time here is smack dab in the middle of the early squirrel season. Oh no, what's a fella to do?

I didn't think there was going to be a spring squirrel season in KY this year. Looked a few times at the F&G web site and all it showed was a fall season. Decided to type in the search using different wording and it popped right up. May 20 through June 16.

Just ordered a Tom A Hanks peep sight for my Crockett rifle. If things go as planned, I should have a good, accurate load worked up using a peep this time. Between having old eyes, being in bad need of new glasses, as well as the stock sights, I had a very difficult time obtaining a clear site picture during late season. Fact of the matter is, I have a difficult time seeing any open sights regardless of proper corrective lenses. So I'm putting a lot of faith in the new peep. Took my TC peep and just laid it on top of the tang and I was amazed at how much better I could see the end bead, as well as father out such as a spot on a tree. The TC peep made all the difference on my New Englander.

Received some .015 pillow ticking from October Country for my Crockett rifle and want to try different powder charges as well. Didn't get to squirrel hunt all that much during the late season due to getting my Crockett rifle late. But man on man, I do love chasing those bushy tail gray squirrels around these mountains and hills with that little ML. It's a real hoot.

So yeah, looking like its about 60 days away until I can get back at it. I'm a hard core flathead fisherman and prime time here is smack dab in the middle of the early squirrel season. Oh no, what's a fella to do?
36 hour days???

Both?

Actually, my flathead fishing is very time consuming. If I fish with doodles (as I call them) my average time in my small boat is between 11 to 14 hours. If I fish with limblines its about 11 hours or so. After a couple days and/or nights of that, I'm exhausted. So I reckon I could squirrel hunt the next day, weather permitting. So yeah, both I reckon. I'm normally a morning hunter anyway.

Actually, my flathead fishing is very time consuming. If I fish with doodles (as I call them) my average time in my small boat is between 11 to 14 hours. If I fish with limblines its about 11 hours or so. After a couple days and/or nights of that, I'm exhausted. So I reckon I could squirrel hunt the next day, weather permitting. So yeah, both I reckon. I'm normally a morning hunter anyway.
Exhausted from having too much fun. My heart goes out to you!

Exhausted from having too much fun. My heart goes out to you!
LOL, actually what I do is more work than fun. Maybe three days per week during prime time is about the limit this ole boy can hold up for. I often tell people that no one in their right mind would go through what I do just to catch a few flatheads.

And now there's that early squirrel season to deal with. :)

Back