• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered a Crockett .32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I ordered a Crockett .32 just before thanksgiving. I ordered a complete one. Maybe one day I’ll get brave and build my own. My status for delivery is supposedly by Christmas. Anyway, l hope to get going on this after deer season ends in Tennessee. We have a gracious squirrel season which allows time for getting after those bushy tails. Hope y’all don’t mind any questions that I may have. Looking forward to sharing this little adventure.

Anthony

So, I ordered a Crockett .32 just before thanksgiving. I ordered a complete one. Maybe one day I’ll get brave and build my own. My status for delivery is supposedly by Christmas. Anyway, l hope to get going on this after deer season ends in Tennessee. We have a gracious squirrel season which allows time for getting after those bushy tails. Hope y’all don’t mind any questions that I may have. Looking forward to sharing this little adventure.

Anthony
Your gonna love that little rifle.

Attachments

• Crocket 1.jpg
    Crocket 1.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Crocket rifle range day 4.jpg
    Crocket rifle range day 4.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • Crocket rifle range day 3.jpg
    Crocket rifle range day 3.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Once owned one, it was awesome accuracy wise.

Good for you, you ought to have a whole lot of fun chasing squirrels with your Crockett. I wish we had good small game hunting here.
Thank you! I’m looking forward to working loads and shooting it. I am like a kid in a candy shop waiting for it to be delivered.

Pretty darn accurate little rifles. However, you probably saved yourself some trouble by buying it assembled. I did a kit for my son, lets just say mine was apparently boxed up on a friday.

I like the accuracy that your target shows. That a dead squirrel in my book! May I ask, what kind of possibles bag is that? I’ve been looking for something functional, but not frilly. Something nice and durable, but classy.

Anthony
I'm not sure who made the bag, I got it from a flea market deal years ago. You can find possible bags on the net if you look around that doesn't cost much and there are some great craftsman in the group that offer them up for sale from time to time. When you get your rifle, play around with loads and you should find a combination that will outshoot what my target shows easily.

Awesome! I want one of these for squirrel, hare and grouse. Where did you find one? These are like hens teeth lately. The worst part about ordering a new rifle is the waiting for it to arrive.

Awesome! I want one of these for squirrel, hare and grouse. Where did you find one? These are like hens teeth lately. The worst part about ordering a new rifle is the waiting for it to arrive.
I got mine from Midway USA several months back and was able to use my birthday discount on it, plus they were running a sale on them at the time.

I had a fella from my local gun store order one. He seems to have an affliction for Muzzleloading and tries to accommodate people when he can.

Along the lines of this thread and going not far down the rabbit hole. Has anyone tried their hand at making their own percussion caps? I’ve seen some products that allow one to make them out of aluminum soda/pop cans? It seems like a viable option when the real percussion caps be sparse or too expensive.

Anthony

Along the lines of this thread and going not far down the rabbit hole. Has anyone tried their hand at making their own percussion caps? I’ve seen some products that allow one to make them out of aluminum soda/pop cans? It seems like a viable option when the real percussion caps be sparse or too expensive.

Anthony
I've seen several threads on this topic in the forum and I gave it some consideration, but from what I have read a lot of folks who does it has trouble keeping the priming compound in the finished caps. You can do a search and find the post and see how they have progressed. For myself, it doesn't seem like a viable option.

I had a a crockett and 32 Pedersoli Kentucky. Both shot great with a .310 ball, 20grains of 3F, a thin .010 patch and spit for lube. Both liked a thinner easy to load patch vs a tight patch. I traded both off not because of issues or accuracy. I just find a .32 too small for loading, cleaning, and cutting patches. My fat fingers fumble too much with the tiny components.

Anthony
From my reading, a lot of people have found success with it, but the consensus was that they were fine for range days but they aren’t reliable enough for hunting. I’ve been thinking of buying a flinter for the same reason I was interested in making caps.

I've seen several threads on this topic in the forum and I gave it some consideration, but from what I have read a lot of folks who does it has trouble keeping the priming compound in the finished caps. You can do a search and find the post and see how they have progressed. For myself, it doesn't seem like a viable option.
I agree that the priming compound would be a pain to get into the the caps. I was just thinking as a backup. I can find what I need. I was just thinking if caps became hard to come by.

Now along another line. Do you buy pre made patches or make your own patch lube? What is easier for you? I can get lots of Hornaday . 310 or .311 balls locally. I’ve thought about wanting to cast my own. Again, another rabbit hole. And I’ll apologize ahead of time for all the questions, ideas etc..

Anthony

From my reading, a lot of people have found success with it, but the consensus was that they were fine for range days but they aren’t reliable enough for hunting. I’ve been thinking of buying a flinter for the same reason I was interested in making caps.
Thank you for the reply. I was thinking that as well. It seems nice just to have a backup option just in case I couldn’t find what I needed.

Anthony

I agree that the priming compound would be a pain to get into the the caps. I was just thinking as a backup. I can find what I need. I was just thinking if caps became hard to come by.

Now along another line. Do you buy pre made patches or make your own patch lube? What is easier for you? I can get lots of Hornaday . 310 or .311 balls locally. I’ve thought about wanting to cast my own. Again, another rabbit hole. And I’ll apologize ahead of time for all the questions, ideas etc..

Anthony
I typically buy my patches already pre-lubed from Track of Wolf but I have plenty of pillow ticking cut-in strips already lubed with mink oil. They work well also. I cast my own round balls using a .311 Lee mold which is what my target shows. Casting your own isn't difficult at all as long as you have time to fool with it. I cast all my round balls for my 32, 40, 44, 45, 50, and 54 calibers. All you need is some decent quality lead, a lintle, a cast iron pan, and a good heat source like a camping stove which is what I use. Casting your own to me is relaxing. You can find lead within the group from a few different members if you keep an out for it. No need to apologize, we are here to help in any way we can. If I remember correctly, I had better luck with the .015 patches and .311 balls for accuracy. Make sure you order a cleaning jag, ball puller, and patch retriever for your rifle. They make life easier when you need them and can be purchased cheaply.

Anthony

The consensus is to use Duco cement mixed with acetone to keep the primer mixture in the cap. I bought the Duco but have not used it yet. Page 5 of my thread one of the guys posted a video on it. Home Made Percussion Caps Review

The cap maker really is worth the piece of mind that you will never run out of caps as long as you have the primer mixture. It is relaxing making the caps just like casting balls.

Back