• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ordered a Crockett .32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a Crockett, also. When I took it out of the box ( it was new) it looked great BUT when I went to clean it it was SUPER dirty. It had obviously been shot more than just a couple time and not cleaned. There is a rough section in the barrel about 6-8 inches up from the bottom I could feel while cleaning it. I got my cheap bore scope out to take a look and there is a rusty section for sure but I can't really tell how bad with my cheap scope. The lands and groves are still there but maybe some pitting. hard to say.
Has anyone else ever got a NIB Traditions rifle that had been shot and not cleaned. DO they test fire the rifles before the send them off?

Hi guys,
When I got my new Crockett, the barrel was rusty inside. The first few patches came out bright orange. Further cleaning revealed no damage done.
Shoots well.
Flycaster

I also just ordered a Crockett.

Mine was the last in stock at MM Outfitters our of Eudora, KS. Called to confirm it was really in stock and it was.

Dealer said every wholesaler is out of these and won’t be back in stock for some time.

Lucky to snag it. Ships tomorrow. Can’t wait!!
That’s great! Glad that worked out for you.

I had mine out today. I built it from a kit back in February. There was a lot of tinkering involved to get everything thing to fit correctly. I bedded the tang area with Acaglas so there is no movement. I also put brass tube bushings in the stock holes that accept the lock plate screws. I hated how much play there was in the stock holes.

I was shooting off-hand at 50 yards using 5 and 10 grains of Swiss 3f, .010" patch, .320" Lee cast ball, and lube made from water and Ballistol. Shooting at an 8" plate and life-size steel squirrel I almost never missed. They are great shooting guns.

I like the accuracy that your target shows. That a dead squirrel in my book! May I ask, what kind of possibles bag is that? I’ve been looking for something functional, but not frilly. Something nice and durable, but classy.

Anthony
Look at the “free trapper” bag from October country, I think you’ll like it if you’re still in the market for one

Well, I received an update today on my rifle. Email saying that delivery will now be pushed back till the end of January, early February. Oh well, at least it’s coming. I’ll be ready for it when it does finally arrive.

Anthony

That’s a shame. My Crockett is out for delivery today. I had to scour the web and call various stores to actually find one in stock. It was the last one this dealer had, and they said theirs a backorder on them at every distributor right now. Hopefully mine doesn’t have any quality control issues.

That’s a shame. My Crockett is out for delivery today. I had to scour the web and call various stores to actually find one in stock. It was the last one this dealer had, and they said theirs a backorder on them at every distributor right now. Hopefully mine doesn’t have any quality control issues.
I’m hoping that mine is void of quality issues as well. I’d rather them take time and get it correct.

Anthony

So, an update. It delivered. In three attempts. I repeatedly told Fed Ex that I work and would not be home till after 5. So, what do they do? Delivery attempts at 0939, 0935 and 0924. I’m furious with them! Here is the other catch. It’s being held at a Fed Ex facility. I can’t pick it up unless I contact sportsman’s guide. Which I’ve done. So, they will re attempt delivery again once I gets back to them and I’d now expected in another 2-3 weeks. (Per their policy). I would cancel, but I get no refund.

So, lucky for me my parents are retired. I am having it delivered to them since they will be more apt to be home in the early morning hours. It may take a bit longer, but this rifle will get here eventually. Good things come to those who wait.

Anthony

So, an update. It delivered. In three attempts. I repeatedly told Fed Ex that I work and would not be home till after 5. So, what do they do? Delivery attempts at 0939, 0935 and 0924. I’m furious with them! Here is the other catch. It’s being held at a Fed Ex facility. I can’t pick it up unless I contact sportsman’s guide. Which I’ve done. So, they will re attempt delivery again once I gets back to them and I’d now expected in another 2-3 weeks. (Per their policy). I would cancel, but I get no refund.

So, lucky for me my parents are retired. I am having it delivered to them since they will be more apt to be home in the early morning hours. It may take a bit longer, but this rifle will get here eventually. Good things come to those who wait.

Anthony
Another FedEx fiasco. On the bright side you will get it. After a few rounds down range it will be worth the trouble. I hope you really enjoy it once it shows up. And it will still be squirrel season...

For anyone that may be interested in a Crocket Rifle. Deer Creek had 3 left as of a couple days ago. I also saw one other site that states they now have them. I don't remember which one it is but I ran across it yesterday while searching components for mine. I had been looking for a long while trying to find a Crocket Rifle. They are hard to come by. I called Traditions a couple days ago and they stated they are out of stock.

FWIW, another member on here contacted me Tuesday informing me that Deer Creek had 5 Crocket Rifles listed. I promptly ordered mine after hours. Received a shipping confirmation on Wednesday. My Crocket rifle showed up on Thursday. That was the fastest delivery I have ever seen.

They show up every now and then but they don't last long.

Anthony
Another FedEx horror story. It appears all shipping companies has their share of issues. However, FedEx tops the cake. It has gotten to the point of if I order something and find out its being shipped via FedEx, I cringe.

I'm telling ya, FedEx need to be put out of business and replaced with a good shipping company. There's only one reason why FedEx has had such a bad reputation for so long..........bad management!

I sincerely hope you get your Crocket Rifle soon.

Great little rifles, I ordered a kit from Midway and finished it a couple of months ago. I replaced the tang and lock screws, as well as the sights with parts that I bought from TOW, and after stripping the faux case coloring from the lock, I defarbed the barrel, then browned all steel parts with Laurel Mtn browning solution. I blackened the brass with a solution we use here at the shop for other brass. I reshaped the stock, removing a fair amount of wood on the fore end and thinned buttstock and lengthened the wrist. It turned out better than expected. Here is a link to the photo album.

Crockett Rifle Kit From Start to Finish
That's beautiful. Good job!

Another FedEx fiasco. On the bright side you will get it. After a few rounds down range it will be worth the trouble. I hope you really enjoy it once it shows up. And it will still be squirrel season...
I hope it’s here by the end of February. I think that’s when Tennessee wraps up the squirrel season ( I need to double check because they were taking about extending it). But, traditionally, it ends in the last day in February.

If nothing else, I’ll have it ready for a spring season and then later in the fall. I have no doubts that it will be well with the wait.

Anthony

Another FedEx horror story. It appears all shipping companies has their share of issues. However, FedEx tops the cake. It has gotten to the point of if I order something and find out its being shipped via FedEx, I cringe.

I'm telling ya, FedEx need to be put out of business and replaced with a good shipping company. There's only one reason why FedEx has had such a bad reputation for so long..........bad management!

And the sad thing is, that we have an airport and FedEx distribution center literally miles from where I work. Going forward, I’ll not order anything if it’s being shipped by FedEx unless it’s life or death.

Anthony

One other thing that I failed to mention. My 19 year old son is home for his winter break from college. He can’t sign because he’s not 21 ( but he could go buy it). And that’s another day, another topic. Anyway, he told the driver that someone would be home after five. He told that to the driver on three separate occasions. Again, poor customer service. I’ll get off my rant before I get wound up….

Anthony

One other thing that I failed to mention. My 19 year old son is home for his winter break from college. He can’t sign because he’s not 21 ( but he could go buy it). And that’s another day, another topic. Anyway, he told the driver that someone would be home after five. He told that to the driver on three separate occasions. Again, poor customer service. I’ll get off my rant before I get wound up….

Anthony
I am so sorry to hear about all the trouble you are having with FedEx. I would be ranting as well.

Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back