• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Crocket .32 Squirrel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well guys, it finally happened. Been wanting a .32 squirrel rifle for a long time and had all but given up. Had my mind set on a Traditions .32 caliber Crocket Squirrel Rifle but they have been as hard to find as hens teeth. A couple days ago another member on here contacted me to convey that Deer Creek had a very few in. So I ordered one online after hours. Received notification that it had been shipped yesterday and I’ll be dang if it didn’t arrive today. Not too darn shabby service IMO.

Now for the skinny.

Opened the box and was pleasantly surprised at the quality, especially for a lower end ML. Stock is nice, the blueing is deep and shiny, and the brass furniture is fair. Sights are nice and the wood is nice as well. Not bad at all.

Now for the not so good. I am disappointed that there is a lot of slop between the ramrod thimble and the ramrod. It is tight down in the front of the stock but the first thimble slop should not be. With a metallic ramrod clanging against a metallic thimble, not good. I’m going to try to sleeve the thimble some how, or at least put some kind of bushing in there if possible. This ole boy cannot stand rattling hunting gear. Worse case scenario would be to put a toothpick or something like that between the two while hunting.

The only other things I’m finding so far is there’s a couple of small scratches on the lock plate, but not really noticeable. Also, the wedge pin is a bit crude but its going to get some ware on it anyway over time. Everything else looks great.

Sadly, the rifle did not come with anything else but the owners manual. No cleaning jag, brush, no nothing. So it’s going to be a few days before I’ll be able to test shoot it. I have a kit ordered but it looks like I’m going to need a smaller diameter ball starter as well.

Ya know, I'm ugly but I'm gonna look pretty good shooting this little rifle.
5A42F5B5-DD7E-4B0B-90EE-2F6E77914F7B.jpeg
8364BEBB-E617-4DB1-9BC0-75CCCF1B17EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Depending on the amount of slop, a piece of gorilla tape or heat shrink tubing will make it nice and quiet.

Squirrel Ninja.
It will have go go down into the inside of the thimble. The ramrod will be chafing against it every time its inserted and pulled out. So whatever it will be will have to be glued some how.

Another thought I just had would be to install a small piece of black mole skin inside the thimble. It would not be visible at all.

Last edited:
5/16 stock hole and rod, 3/8 thimbles? The hole can be opened up.
There has to be some ramrod retaining springs down inside the stock. Its a snug fit. The thimble is too large so I'll probably try some black moleskin for starters.

There is a spray rubber on the market called PlastiDip. It does amazing things. It works very well as a sound deadener.

It goes on thin. And once on, it stays on.

That would probably solve your clanking issues. And it's a sooty black. Would look nice with that deep blue barrel.

I picked up a used CVA squirrel rifle in .32 and it is a hoot to shoot and a great little rifle. I think the crocket is actually an improvement over the squirrel rifle. Enjoy your new addition!

Well guys, it finally happened. Been wanting a .32 squirrel rifle for a long time and had all but given up. Had my mind set on a Traditions .32 caliber Crocket Squirrel Rifle but they have been as hard to find as hens teeth. A couple days ago another member on here contacted me to convey that Deer Creek had a very few in. So I ordered one online after hours. Received notification that it had been shipped yesterday and I’ll be dang if it didn’t arrive today. Not too darn shabby service IMO.

Now for the skinny.

Opened the box and was pleasantly surprised at the quality, especially for a lower end ML. Stock is nice, the blueing is deep and shiny, and the brass furniture is fair. Sights are nice. Not bad at all.

Now for the not so good. I am disappointed that there is a lot of slop between the ramrod thimble and the ramrod. It is tight down in the front of the stock but the first thimble slop should not be. With a metallic ramrod clanging against a metallic thimble, not good. I’m going to try to sleeve the thimble some how, or at least put some kind of bushing in there if possible. This ole boy cannot stand rattling hunting gear. Worse case scenario would be to put a toothpick or something like that between the two while hunting.

The only other things I’m finding so far is there’s a couple of small scratches on the lock plate, but not really noticeable. Also, the wedge pin is a bit crude but its going to get some ware on it anyway over time. Everything else looks great.

Sadly, the rifle did not come with anything else but the owners manual. No cleaning jag, brush, no nothing. So it’s going to be a few days before I’ll be able to test shoot it. I have a kit ordered but it looks like I’m going to need a smaller diameter ball starter as well.

Ya know, I'm ugly but I'm gonna look pretty good shooting this little rifle.
View attachment 187730View attachment 187731
Neat little gun! Great find, good luck!

Dang, I gotta wait 'til Monday for mine to get here!

Congrats and look forward to some squirrel adventures! :thumb:

Dang, I gotta wait 'til Monday for mine to get here!

Congrats and look forward to some squirrel adventures! :thumb:
Thanks bro. I appreciate you locating this for me. And indeed, as soon as I get the rest of my supplies to do the initial testing I'm hitting da woods.

I'll be listing a Black Knight to ease the expense. Momma said so. And you know the ole saying..............if momma ain't happy.............

Last edited:
Back