• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Crocket .32 Squirrel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the rest of my doo-dad possibles showed up today. As badly as I have been wanting them to arrive so I can test out this new ML, I just don't have it in me today. Rain tomorrow, snow Friday, not available Saturday, so its looking like its going to be a few days before I can get it done.

Well guys, it finally happened. Been wanting a .32 squirrel rifle for a long time and had all but given up. Had my mind set on a Traditions .32 caliber Crocket Squirrel Rifle but they have been as hard to find as hens teeth. A couple days ago another member on here contacted me to convey that Deer Creek had a very few in. So I ordered one online after hours. Received notification that it had been shipped yesterday and I’ll be dang if it didn’t arrive today. Not too darn shabby service IMO.

Now for the skinny.

Opened the box and was pleasantly surprised at the quality, especially for a lower end ML. Stock is nice, the blueing is deep and shiny, and the brass furniture is fair. Sights are nice and the wood is nice as well. Not bad at all.

Now for the not so good. I am disappointed that there is a lot of slop between the ramrod thimble and the ramrod. It is tight down in the front of the stock but the first thimble slop should not be. With a metallic ramrod clanging against a metallic thimble, not good. I’m going to try to sleeve the thimble some how, or at least put some kind of bushing in there if possible. This ole boy cannot stand rattling hunting gear. Worse case scenario would be to put a toothpick or something like that between the two while hunting.

The only other things I’m finding so far is there’s a couple of small scratches on the lock plate, but not really noticeable. Also, the wedge pin is a bit crude but its going to get some ware on it anyway over time. Everything else looks great.

Sadly, the rifle did not come with anything else but the owners manual. No cleaning jag, brush, no nothing. So it’s going to be a few days before I’ll be able to test shoot it. I have a kit ordered but it looks like I’m going to need a smaller diameter ball starter as well.

Ya know, I'm ugly but I'm gonna look pretty good shooting this little rifle.
View attachment 187730View attachment 187731
It always seemed strange to me that traditions doesn't send a cleaning jag with the gun. Seems like a relatively cheap and definitely required item. Every other rifle I have purchased from different companies always came with one. Not all came with a brush, but a jag, yes

I really love mine. Like yours, it seems to be well-built. The wood grain is always a manure shoot on these Spanish guns. It’s nice and lightweight. Easy to hold up. With less powder and smaller “pills”, it’s inexpensive to shoot. From what I can tell, it closely resembles the Vincent Rifles of Ohio.

I shoot 20 grains of 3F BP with a Pillow Ticking patch and a .310 Round Ball. They make a .315 but I had several boxes left over from a CVA Squirrel Rifle.

Finding a small enough diameter Short Starter and Bench Rod may be challenging.

My first suggestion is to read the manual from cover to cover. They won't warranty it if you don’t and have a problem.

There is what appears to be a cleanout screw on the opposite side of the nipple. The manual says it’s a clean-out screw that must be removed, oiled, and reinstalled. I didn’t do that and when I tried to take it out after my first range session, it snapped off in the barrel. They sent me a new one, but I had to pay my local shop to take it out as I did not have an easy out that small. I bought a second rifle (while waiting for mine to be fixed) and tried to turn that screw before firing the gun and it’s really stuck in there. It appears to have been installed BEFORE the barrel was blued. My local shop calls it a drill hole “plug screw” and should not be removed! The diagram says it’s a Tang Screw (side), not a “Clean Out”.

Also, when I went to remove the Trigger Guard, it was stuck. I don’t know whether the wood-to-metal fit was too tight or if they installed it before the stain was dry. I put two fingers in the Bow and pulled real hard. It broke in two at the front screw hole. They wouldn’t warranty that either. Traditions does not stand behind their products. They look for any excuse to refuse coverage.

In spite of their Lifetime” warranty, if the model is discontinued and was “New/Old” stock, there is no warranty. Chances are they won’t even have replacement parts.

I don’t mean to be so negative but every interaction I’ve had with the company has been met with “It’s not covered”. I currently own about half a dozen Traditions guns. I’m grateful they still make inexpensive sidelocks but I wish they had better Customer service. However, I will not purchase another.

I wish you the best of luck with your new “Toy”!

Walt

It always seemed strange to me that traditions doesn't send a cleaning jag with the gun. Seems like a relatively cheap and definitely required item. Every other rifle I have purchased from different companies always came with one. Not all came with a brush, but a jag, yes
A few months ago I picked up a new unmentionable type ML for my son, per his request. It too, came with nothing other than the owners manual. Appears to be the the new corporate way nowadays with many things.

That 3/8 (.375 dia.) rod is gonna be a tight fot in that .322 dia barrel. I’d replace the thimbles.
The stock ramrod is too small diameter, even for the bore. Some on here purchased replacement RR from TOTW and they fit much better all the way around.

I really love mine. Like yours, it seems to be well-built. The wood grain is always a manure shoot on these Spanish guns. It’s nice and lightweight. Easy to hold up. With less powder and smaller “pills”, it’s inexpensive to shoot. From what I can tell, it closely resembles the Vincent Rifles of Ohio.

I shoot 20 grains of 3F BP with a Pillow Ticking patch and a .310 Round Ball. They make a .315 but I had several boxes left over from a CVA Squirrel Rifle.

Finding a small enough diameter Short Starter and Bench Rod may be challenging.

My first suggestion is to read the manual from cover to cover. They won't warranty it if you don’t and have a problem.

There is what appears to be a cleanout screw on the opposite side of the nipple. The manual says it’s a clean-out screw that must be removed, oiled, and reinstalled. I didn’t do that and when I tried to take it out after my first range session, it snapped off in the barrel. They sent me a new one, but I had to pay my local shop to take it out as I did not have an easy out that small. I bought a second rifle (while waiting for mine to be fixed) and tried to turn that screw before firing the gun and it’s really stuck in there. It appears to have been installed BEFORE the barrel was blued. My local shop calls it a drill hole “plug screw” and should not be removed! The diagram says it’s a Tang Screw (side), not a “Clean Out”.

Also, when I went to remove the Trigger Guard, it was stuck. I don’t know whether the wood-to-metal fit was too tight or if they installed it before the stain was dry. I put two fingers in the Bow and pulled real hard. It broke in two at the front screw hole. They wouldn’t warranty that either. Traditions does not stand behind their products. They look for any excuse to refuse coverage.

In spite of their Lifetime” warranty, if the model is discontinued and was “New/Old” stock, there is no warranty. Chances are they won’t even have replacement parts.

I don’t mean to be so negative but every interaction I’ve had with the company has been met with “It’s not covered”. I currently own about half a dozen Traditions guns. I’m grateful they still make inexpensive sidelocks but I wish they had better Customer service. However, I will not purchase another.

I wish you the best of luck with your new “Toy”!

Walt

Thank you.

Over all, I find the little Crockett rifle fairly nice, but there are areas that I'm not sure of. Definitely not the old TC quality.

I'll have to go back and revisit that small cleanout screw.

I ordered a smaller diameter short starter that works well. Don't remember for sure where I got it from but I'm thinking either TOTW or the Possibles shop.

I too, gave it a half-hearted attempt at removing the trigger guard and found it is tighter than I like so I gave up on pulling any harder. I was afraid of something breaking.

I did, however, have a warranty issue and Traditions took care of me in a very short time period. Sent part in to them and it was repaired and back home in one week.

It is a fun little rifle to shoot. I do find that if one even thinks about moving during the shot, its a missed squirrel. IMO, it has a tendency to move easy laterally if not held tightly.

I took my Traditions Crockett rifle to our local monthly shooting match. I did rather well if I say so myself.

The first two targets were shot at 25 yards. Originally the guy putting on the shoot said 8 shots in the top target which is used for Archery. Then apparently changed it to six at the last minute. I told him I didn’t get that memo. They threw out my worst two hits. The Wagon Wheel had twelve spokes we were supposed to shoot but he thought there were only eleven. You don’t have to be smart to Sponsor a match, just be safe!

We moved the stands up to fifteen yards. All remaining targets were five shots each. He brought the sides from Rainier Beer 12-packs. I didn’t even know they still made that! We had to shoot the vowels or the smaller loop in the R. Next was the Bug Slat. Those were some lean ketchup packets as they refused to bleed! I’ve actually made them post these sideways. That way our primitive sights won’t line up so easily. Lastly, we posted a small Splatter Bullseye. My rifle really liked that lower right-hand corner of the center!

We won’t get the results until next month’s Newsletter. I’m hoping to at least be in the top Three! All shooting was done Off-hand. The only thing that bothered me is when folks are done, they tend to have a conversation behind you which affects your concentration. That accounted for a few misses on the Wagon Wheel!

My load was 20 grains of Goex 3F BP, .015 Pillow Ticking with Bumbling Bear Grease Lube, and a .310 Round Ball. All in all, a great little rifle!!!!

Thanks for looking!

Walt

Attachments

• 20230225_101257_HDR.jpg
    20230225_101257_HDR.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_101301_HDR.jpg
    20230225_101301_HDR.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_112738.jpg
    20230225_112738.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_112743.jpg
    20230225_112743.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_112749.jpg
    20230225_112749.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_120555.jpg
    20230225_120555.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_120602.jpg
    20230225_120602.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230225_120611.jpg
    20230225_120611.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Good shooting. Fun times.

Where did you get the .015 pillow ticking and Bumbling Bear Grease?
Thanks! Yes, it was!

I bought the pre-cut patches from the Gun Works near me. They're Bridger's Best. They say .017 - .018 but these miked at .015 and compressed down to around .011. I bought a pack one time that was stiffer, almost as though the sizing hadn't been washed out. These were the .018 and compressed down to .014. I never expected a difference in thickness from the same company. But not too surprised as fabric IS made in "lots". One may be different than another. I used to love the tightest patch-ball combo until I developed arthritis in my wrists. The problem is pounding on the short starter. Maybe it's time to cone the muzzles on my guns!

The Bumbling Bear Grease comes from October County. As the name implies it's a mixture of Bear Grease and Beeswax.

https://www.octobercountry.com/bumblin-bear-grease-4-oz/
Happy Shootin!

Walt

Thanks! Yes, it was!

I bought the pre-cut patches from the Gun Works near me. They're Bridger's Best. They say .017 - .018 but these miked at .015 and compressed down to around .011. I bought a pack one time that was stiffer, almost as though the sizing hadn't been washed out. These were the .018 and compressed down to .014. I never expected a difference in thickness from the same company. But not too surprised as fabric IS made in "lots". One may be different than another. I used to love the tightest patch-ball combo until I developed arthritis in my wrists. The problem is pounding on the short starter. Maybe it's time to cone the muzzles on my guns!

The Bumbling Bear Grease comes from October County. As the name implies it's a mixture of Bear Grease and Beeswax.

https://www.octobercountry.com/bumblin-bear-grease-4-oz/
Happy Shootin!

Walt
Thank you for the information. I have some .018 pillow ticking prelubed patches that were for .50 caliber that I cut down to .32 caliber size. However, I'm reluctant to try to stuff them down the barrel with a .301 RB. I would almost certainly have to use a hammer of some sort to get them started, but that's only part of my concern. My main concern is not being able to get one seated all the way, especially with the flimsy and poor excuse of a ramrod Traditions supplies with the Crockett Rifle. And yes, I fully understand what you mean about how tough it can be on the hands and wrists trying to get a ball started in these rifles with a short starter. Its tough enough as it is.

I actually have some real bear grease that I mixed with real beeswax for patch lube. Haven't tried it yet, however. If that's what the Bumbling Bear Grease consists of, perhaps I'll keep tinkering with the mixture until I come up with the suitable one.

Last edited:
Once you tinker with it and figure the right ball/patch combination, your going to love it. I stroked the bore with a scouring pad patch and cleaning rod for about 100 strokes to smooth the bore, which will remove any sharp edges and burrs in the bore. I use a .10 linen for a patch, spit for lube, and .315 balls in a clean barrel, and after a dozen shots or so when I feel resistance, I'll switch to a .310 ball, very accurate with either ball. I've never had to swab the bore out in the field unless the humidity was high. I bought a kit from Dixie back in July, so I could see what I could do with it. Lots of work, I de-farbed the barrel, stripped the faux case color from the lock and browned lock and barrel with Laurel Mountain Browning Solution. I changed both front and rear sights, made a hickory ramrod from TOW, and replaced the lock bolts and tang bolt. I thinned the stock down considerably, lengthened the wrist, and blackened the brass with B/Ox 312 blackening/browning solution. B/Ox 312 is not a durable finish, but as it wears, it has a nice aged patina. I found everything I needed parts wise at TOW.

Here's some photos of what you can do with a Crockett when you have a little time.

Crockett Rifle Kit From Start to Finish

The Crockett is one really dandy squirrel rifle. I used one for many years and the accuracy is as fine as my best rifles. I used the wood rod - wood rods came with them back then - and also made a coated fiberglass rod that I used.

The Crockett is one really dandy squirrel rifle. I used one for many years and the accuracy is as fine as my best rifles. I used the wood rod - wood rods came with them back then - and also made a coated fiberglass rod that I used.
Makes me wonder as to why Traditions would put those shoddy, aluminum, rattling, too small of diameter, poor excuse for a ramrod on the Crockett Rifle, other than perhaps dealing with some broken wooden ramrods. I can see where the small .32 bore could be an issue if one is not paying attention, especially with a dirty bore and trying to pound a ball down. However, I believe that a proper size wooden RR would be fine. At the very least a proper size composite ramrod should be a better option. My only guess is perhaps lack of hardened wood over in Europe.

Forgot to note in my previous post that on the Crockett kit, they had installed the wedge escutcheons and then sanded the stock including the escutcheons and screws, there was barely a slot left on the screws and no detail left on the escutcheons. I found out by checking the inletting with a T/C Hawken escutcheon that it was a perfect fit, even the screw holes matched up. So I ordered brass T/C Hawken escutcheons and screws from The Gun Works, blackened and replaced the factory escutcheons on the Crockett. I did use the supplied wedge that came with the Crockett.IMG_20220929_163735_146.jpg

Back