• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered a Crockett .32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great little rifles, I ordered a kit from Midway and finished it a couple of months ago. I replaced the tang and lock screws, as well as the sights with parts that I bought from TOW, and after stripping the faux case coloring from the lock, I defarbed the barrel, then browned all steel parts with Laurel Mtn browning solution. I blackened the brass with a solution we use here at the shop for other brass. I reshaped the stock, removing a fair amount of wood on the fore end and thinned buttstock and lengthened the wrist. It turned out better than expected. Here is a link to the photo album.

Crockett Rifle Kit From Start to Finish
That is a good looking rifle! The stars are a nice touch!

You will love that little Crockett. I owned and hunted with one for years but the squirrels didn't like it as much as I did. This target counting the flier is barely over one inch. This was just normal accuracy for the Crockett I had. It has fired smaller groups but I can't find all the photos. I killed many squirrels with a 30 grain load of 3F and a ticking patch.

Digital-Still-Camera.jpg

You will love that little Crockett. I owned and hunted with one for years but the squirrels didn't like it as much as I did. This target counting the flier is barely over one inch. This was just normal accuracy for the Crockett I had. It has fired smaller groups but I can't find all the photos. I killed many squirrels with a 30 grain load of 3F and a ticking patch.

Digital-Still-Camera.jpg
Looks like a good shooting rifle. Thank you for sharing. That is what I hope to achieve.

I bought a Traditions Crocket a few months ago. When I got mine, the front brass blade sight was badly bent over, like someone dropped it on the floor. I tapped it back straight with a small copper hammer and a metal block. I didn't find any other rifle damage. I'm not crazy about that aluminum ramrod. I have another wooden rod that is a bit too big. That will make a good winter project sanding it to fit. I'm planning on leaving the ramrod swelled on the end and sticking out a little bit from under the end of the muzzle. I'll install an 8/32nd brass threaded ramrod end and pin it in place.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Well, I received an update today on my rifle. Email saying that delivery will now be pushed back till the end of January, early February. Oh well, at least it’s coming. I’ll be ready for it when it does finally arrive.

Anthony

Well, I received an update today on my rifle. Email saying that delivery will now be pushed back till the end of January, early February. Oh well, at least it’s coming. I’ll be ready for it when it does finally arrive.

Anthony
Wow, sorry to hear that! I ended up getting a kit ordered on the 9th and it was delivered on the 19th. Getting all the things together to stain and assemble it.

thumbnail_IMG_0831.jpg

Along the lines of this thread and going not far down the rabbit hole. Has anyone tried their hand at making their own percussion caps? I’ve seen some products that allow one to make them out of aluminum soda/pop cans? It seems like a viable option when the real percussion caps be sparse or too expensive.

Anthony
Guys I know who have tried them had mixed results. It might be worth having a kit ratholed back "just in case", but I'm still able to find CCI and Remington caps in quantity. There's a couple separate box box outdoor stores in my area that keep them in regular stock and I grab 2-3 tins every time I'm there and stash them away.

So, I ordered a Crockett .32 just before thanksgiving. I ordered a complete one. Maybe one day I’ll get brave and build my own. My status for delivery is supposedly by Christmas. Anyway, l hope to get going on this after deer season ends in Tennessee. We have a gracious squirrel season which allows time for getting after those bushy tails. Hope y’all don’t mind any questions that I may have. Looking forward to sharing this little adventure.

Anthony
What part of Tennessee? my apologies if I've already asked. Giles county here.

Guys I know who have tried them had mixed results. It might be worth having a kit ratholed back "just in case", but I'm still able to find CCI and Remington caps in quantity. There's a couple separate box box outdoor stores in my area that keep them in regular stock and I grab 2-3 tins every time I'm there and stash them away.
I have one of my go to places around here that has them. He’s just a little more proud of them than he should be. And you’re right, I was only thinking of that kit as for a backup that would hopefully never have to be used.

Anthony

Gents I just have to reply on the homemade caps, I have been doing this for 2 years now. I use alum. baking pans, dbbl the 3/4" strips I cut out (fold over on its self )this makes a stiffer cap. I have two old clean paint sticks that I drilled a five hole pattern 2 top 2 bottom 1 in the middle with a # 2 drill, which helps keep a good count for filling and sealing. 25 caps per stick I soldered an old used small pistol primer anvil removed and used a small flat punch to flatten the fire pin dimple from the inside, to a scrap copper wire from a romex tail end. I mix a batch of 3 times everything...each mix requires a precise count of scoops of the chemicals using the large and small scoops provided...be observant and precise the proper mix is required to perform correctly( easy instructions to follow) BUT FOLLOW THEM! mix to a lump free even color This 3x batch will fill 50 caps if you just fill the the little ladle you made to just over round not flat if any is left over fill any skimpy caps. Next I use the small flat punch I flattened the dimple with to gently flatten the mix into the cap, slowly so you don't blow the mix out because moving to quickly and just enough to flatten the mix. I next get an eye dropper to drop one drop of my seal mixture into the cap a 50-50 mix acetone and white rain hair spray from a spritzer bottle not an aerosol can (can sprays all over every thing sticky mess) now I can pour it into a container for the eye dropper. I found if you wet the mix prior packing it flows around the tool and you loose primer mix out of the cap. Due to the learning curve I had some misfires due to my own poor mixing, done by the inst. it works as advertised. Oh gently turn the stick over after about 30 sec or so to push out the caps gently after all they are not fully dried, cause they will get harder to remove if some of the sealer seeps to the out side of the cap. Use them after a 24 hour dry time.
I know the inst. say no sealer is needed but I had some caps fall apart in transit to the range with out sealer, none since! Sorry for the long post!
coupe

I like the accuracy that your target shows. That a dead squirrel in my book! May I ask, what kind of possibles bag is that? I’ve been looking for something functional, but not frilly. Something nice and durable, but classy.

Anthony
Howdy:
NICE Rifle:
I have a possibles bag for sale in the Shooting Accessories forum. Not frilly, seems to meet your requirements? Let me know if you're interested?
Good luck with that Tree Rat Killer. :~)))
God bless:
Two Feathers

Gents I just have to reply on the homemade caps, I have been doing this for 2 years now. I use alum. baking pans, dbbl the 3/4" strips I cut out (fold over on its self )this makes a stiffer cap. I have two old clean paint sticks that I drilled a five hole pattern 2 top 2 bottom 1 in the middle with a # 2 drill, which helps keep a good count for filling and sealing. 25 caps per stick I soldered an old used small pistol primer anvil removed and used a small flat punch to flatten the fire pin dimple from the inside, to a scrap copper wire from a romex tail end. I mix a batch of 3 times everything...each mix requires a precise count of scoops of the chemicals using the large and small scoops provided...be observant and precise the proper mix is required to perform correctly( easy instructions to follow) BUT FOLLOW THEM! mix to a lump free even color This 3x batch will fill 50 caps if you just fill the the little ladle you made to just over round not flat if any is left over fill any skimpy caps. Next I use the small flat punch I flattened the dimple with to gently flatten the mix into the cap, slowly so you don't blow the mix out because moving to quickly and just enough to flatten the mix. I next get an eye dropper to drop one drop of my seal mixture into the cap a 50-50 mix acetone and white rain hair spray from a spritzer bottle not an aerosol can (can sprays all over every thing sticky mess) now I can pour it into a container for the eye dropper. I found if you wet the mix prior packing it flows around the tool and you loose primer mix out of the cap. Due to the learning curve I had some misfires due to my own poor mixing, done by the inst. it works as advertised. Oh gently turn the stick over after about 30 sec or so to push out the caps gently after all they are not fully dried, cause they will get harder to remove if some of the sealer seeps to the out side of the cap. Use them after a 24 hour dry time.
I know the inst. say no sealer is needed but I had some caps fall apart in transit to the range with out sealer, none since! Sorry for the long post!
coupe
I appreciate the reply. It's definitely worth looking into. I like tinkering with that sort of stuff. I’ll be adding that to my list along with getting balls (I may pour my own) as well as all the other extra goodies. In due time.

Anthony

Back