• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

one piece stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what would be the minumun width to build a stock. I have some beatiful cherry and this would be my first attemp. Ok stop the laughting. Real serious about this thanks for any help.

2 1/4 works for me great thanks. this works for me will get started after recovery from back surgery i had tuesday.

Do get some plans or make your own paper plans to place them on your stock so you can get the best flow of grain through the wrist. You will want at the least a side plan and a top plan.

I've always wanted to do that but I just don't have the patience for that any more. I might still try a roughed out blank but I get board with projects too quick these days or get side tracked and don't get back to it. I've always wanted the tiger stripes.

I am just finishing one that started out from a 2 inch board. Was good until i went to put in a cheek rest, not enough material left. Cut one in anyway removing wood around the desired shape. Thinking i should have left it out completely.
Future blanks will be 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick.

I'd take a hard look at the style that you want first. 2½" seems fine for a finished stock and a bit wide for some folks, but you need a tad wider than the finished product to allow you to reduce down to that width..., IF you want a cheek rest and depending on the style of the stock that you want.

For example here is a Bivens style stock blank from Track of The Wolf, and it starts with a butt plate area that is 2" wide before finishing..., but that measurement does not allow for the cheek rest. So IF you wanted that style of stock, your blank might not be thick enough. I personally like the older, wider butt style stocks on large caliber rifles of .54 or larger as that helps mitigate recoil due to the wider surface area.

BIVENS STOCK BUTT.JPG

AH, however if you chose a different style such as a Bedford County, style stock which is much slimmer by a full half inch, then you'd be OK.

BEDFORD COUNTY STOCK BUTT.JPG

LD

A full-stock “ Kentucky “ with cheek rest and 1/4” cast-off takes 2 1/2 to 2 3/4”
I squeaked one out of a narrower blank; It worked but was frustrating and it still needs more cast-off.
I’ve had no luck hot-oil bending maple but the curl looks great!

I like 3" so cast can be added. So what if you lose lots of unused material on the forend. I used to just band saw it off. Downside is the cost of the thicker blanks.

However that piece of forend makes some pretty knife scales!

Latest posts

Back