• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parts shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RR_Raptor65

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Been out of the gun building hobby for a few years due to a lack of a workshop and the green stuff that runs it, but I recently finished a 16ga Fowler from some parts I had stashed away now that I have a place to work on my projects again. Getting married next year and a good family friend is the one who is going to be the officiate at our wedding and I had the bright idea of building him and my Dad a longrifle each as Christmas gifts next year. What I didn't count on was it seems like the places I used to hit up such as Track of the Wolf and Builder's Supply seem to be out of near enough everything, no more barrels or stock blanks! Any insight on what is going on?

Figured I should probably pay the gun picture tax while I'm here:
IMG_20230829_094807892.jpgIMG_20230829_094746265.jpgIMG_20230829_094835550.jpgIMG_20230829_094938704.jpgIMG_20230829_094843440.jpgIMG_20230829_094754325.jpgIMG_20230829_094928521.jpgIMG_20230829_094953839.jpg

Any insight on what is going on?
Yeah. Supply chains. It's affected them all. Covid shutdowns from years past now and the free money they got.
The young ones stopped wanting to learn the trades, and the old ones couldn't make any more then they could in retirement.
It's the times friend, and supply chains.

What necchi said. When the pre-covid warehouse stock dried up it didn't get replaced. Just like many other elements of our economy. Anything that was deemed non-critical waned away during covid and many just shut down and disappeared.

I was told by one of those well known parts supplier that our entire cast parts supply was being provided by only two or three small companies in the first place. One of those the owner was wanting to retire and the son wanted out. So that one probably has shut down. Then came covid.

That's about what I expected, can only hope things will clear up. Shame to see things in such a state, would hate to see this become the new norm for traditional gun building.

I'm stealing that dragon design......way cool.

Jim Kibler seems to have kits coming out his ears, 1-2 weeks on a special order and he's usually got over a dozen blems and overstocks pictured in his buy it now section. If you're going to build two by Christmas, get a couple of Woodsrunners in medium fancy maple and have them finished in no time.

Well thanks, I think that sideplate is my favorite part of the whole thing.

I always get a kick out of starting from a stock blank and figuring out the best way to get whatever parts I've picked out or made to fit together in it, pretty much guarantees each gun I make is totally unique with it's own personality, which is a large part of why I enjoy making muzzleloaders. Which is not to knock on Kibler's kits because they are downright gorgeous, I may end up going that route if I can't get a hold of parts by August next year or even hold out until '25 so as not to rush it.

Colerain had a significant production slowdown in the past year and other suppliers like Green Mountain stopped making ML barrels a few years ago. Getz barrel production collapsed 10 years ago or so. Charlie Burton and Bobby Hoyt and Ed Rayle are one man operations; non of them kids. Ted Cash just passed away. Pete Allan stopped production a few years ago and his castings were used by many. Reeves Goehring passed away and his niece or daughter does some work but not the same productivity. These are just some examples. Jim Kibler is one of the few suppliers not in the retirement age class. Lock assemblers are few and far between. I’m guessing it’s not that much fun making a hundred of the same lock and probably doesn’t pay a plumber’s wage. It’s not going to get any easier as far as I can see.

Generic “ Hawken” parts? Sure , you can find them…. A totally correct trigger guard for that 18th century musket you are building? May have to make it yourself.

Rich pretty much nailed it.
One man operations, a lot of whom are aging out of production with no one who wants to pick up the torch.
If I see something now that I may have a need for in the future I’ve learned to get it while the gettins’ good. Especially true if you happen to find older out of production parts.
Im fast approaching my mid 60’s and I feel like a youngster when I go to Friendship.

Not only is there a shortage of parts those that are coming available have a huge price increase. luckily my parts buying got way ahead of my building so I have parts to build for awhile provided I live long enough. I may need a few parts to use up all the different parts I have but have enough to keep busy while I search for those. After that like many others I think I will be done. The kids today for the most part have no interest in learning how to work with their hands, they might get dirty doing that. One time when I was fixing my sons car he made the comment that he was too intelligent to work with his hands, that was only for people who were less intelligent. My response was don't call me next time you need something fixed.

Been out of the gun building hobby for a few years due to a lack of a workshop and the green stuff that runs it, but I recently finished a 16ga Fowler from some parts I had stashed away now that I have a place to work on my projects again. Getting married next year and a good family friend is the one who is going to be the officiate at our wedding and I had the bright idea of building him and my Dad a longrifle each as Christmas gifts next year. What I didn't count on was it seems like the places I used to hit up such as Track of the Wolf and Builder's Supply seem to be out of near enough everything, no more barrels or stock blanks! Any insight on what is going on?
Rice has barrels, and Mike Brooks has butt plate and trigger guard castings. I never looked at Track or MBS as a place to buy stock blanks. If you're looking for wood, try Tiger Hunt or Dave Keck at Knob Mountain or Mark Weader, at Jack's Mountain Stock Company.
Kevin

Chambers has parts for his guns.

As does Kibler for his production.

I can point to my area of employment as a good example of the same dynamic. My company holds maybe 12 percent of the North American market. The small handful of other companies combined building the same type of product enjoy the other 88 percent. They of course for various reasons build more product combined than we do. They are the bigger fish, we are small fish. They get parts from the same parts suppliers LONG before we do, BECAUSE their invoices yield higher dollars to the bottom line.

In the traditional gun parts market, outfits like Chambers and Kibler are the big fish, and the regular gunsmith or DIY guy is the puny small fish. Who do you think will enjoy the lion's share of available parts, and who do you think will struggle even finding any?

As does Kibler for his production.
I understand Kibler makes his parts!?

The only time I have problems finding a part is when I don't know who manufactured the item.

Also IMPO another observation is , guys jump on a forum asking questions. Whenever I see this In ask myself, did you even look for said item on the Internet??
Using going to the same 3 vendors does not give a person the wide selection the WWW offers.

12% of a market share and you can't find parts. Three things need to happen.
One find a new buyer.
Two you need diversify
your products.
Three make your parts.

The new sales reps don't care about you! It's hard to find a good rep that will take care your small shop.
I have one rep that calls me weekly ,even though I only make a purchase ever few months.

When reloading supplies which has been my main business since 1985 when scarce during the plandemic. I flipped to cleaning, minor repairs & consignment sales. Same as I did during Klinton and the dope n chains years.

12% of a market share and you can't find parts. Three things need to happen.
One find a new buyer.
Two you need diversify
your products.
Three make your parts.

Like you would EVEN BEGIN to understand the industry I work within.

Hell, I've worked for them for 12 years and don't completely understand how, why, or what they do up front. Nor do I care enough to know. I just punch a time clock and they hand me and a few thousand others a rather large check every week for our troubles. It's only gotta work for me 8 more years and then it can burn to the ground for all I care.

Laughing.......

If I had to make all my own parts when I first started building at 21 the barrier to entry would have been insurmountable, younger builders won't be able to get into building and the hobby will die out for all but those with a well equipped workshop and the knowledge to use the tools to make everything from scratch and/or lucky few that have a mentor to learn from. I don't believe it'll come to that just yet but it's always a danger, especially as time goes on and shops close down without someone to take the reigns.
The kids today for the most part have no interest in learning how to work with their hands, they might get dirty doing that. One time when I was fixing my sons car he made the comment that he was too intelligent to work with his hands, that was only for people who were less intelligent. My response was don't call me next time you need something fixed.
It could just be me but in my experience kids today are interested in this stuff but often just too afraid of failure to try anything. I'm not ashamed to say my first gun was TERRIBLE. The inletting is awful and the lock is junk, but damn I enjoyed making it, learned a lot from it and the next one was that much better as a result. This idea that you can 'fail' at something then do it again and succeed at getting the result you were looking for because you took the time to make the mistakes that teach you how to do it right doesn't click with the TikTok Facebook crowd.

Colerain had a significant production slowdown in the past year and other suppliers like Green Mountain stopped making ML barrels a few years ago. Getz barrel production collapsed 10 years ago or so. Charlie Burton and Bobby Hoyt and Ed Rayle are one man operations; non of them kids. Ted Cash just passed away. Pete Allan stopped production a few years ago and his castings were used by many. Reeves Goehring passed away and his niece or daughter does some work but not the same productivity. These are just some examples. Jim Kibler is one of the few suppliers not in the retirement age class. Lock assemblers are few and far between. I’m guessing it’s not that much fun making a hundred of the same lock and probably doesn’t pay a plumber’s wage. It’s not going to get any easier as far as I can see.
“Green Mountain stopped making ML barrels a few years ago.” Huh?

Latest posts

Back