• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parts shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like you would EVEN BEGIN to understand the industry I work within.
Laughing.......
I understand a lot of how many industries operate. Your arrogance tells me your just like many guys I've worked with.
Come in, punch a clock, assemble a few widgets,sit in meeting,talk about football then punch out to go home.
You're not special nor is you job.

suppliers like Green Mountain stopped making ML barrels a few years ago.
Am I wrong? Where to get them?
From Green Mountain Barrel.
https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/GMRBItem.aspx?Item=154536
1695654670516.png

I understand a lot of how many industries operate. Your arrogance tells me your just like many guys I've worked with.
Come in, punch a clock, assemble a few widgets,sit in meeting,talk about football then punch out to go home.
You're not special nor is you job.
Well, random and irrelevant "reloading supply guy", you seem to be a VERY SMALL fish in a VERY LARGE pond of water yourself, no?

And considering every single thing you depend on for your life and your business depends soley on what I build all day every day I would say it is a pretty special industry that the entire world cannot at this time do without.

Never said I was anything special though Cooter. I will say I go home rode too hard and put away wet most days. Which is why I'm glad I'm a short timer looking forward to retirement.

You piqued my interest just what do you do that is so life endearing.
Trust me, you'd notice a huge difference in everything around you without it. None of it for the good.

Your piqued interest doesn't change the fact that the lone gun builder wanting parts for one gun simply won't see parts before the companies that invoices 10's of hundreds of them. Not until things change back to the way they were.

Hell, ol blackpowderbill himself is a prime example of my example, as he said so himself. Couldn't get reloading supplies into his little fish business so he had to switch gears. There WERE supplies out there, somebody was getting them to sell, GB and such were loaded with em at elevated cost, but distributors weren't sending him any. Prime example by his own testimonial.

Yes, guess you're right, but I take my own garbage to the local dump. As too the parts situation the limited parts that I need or needed were out there just had to do a bit of looking, And I do a lot of shooting also both BP and un-mentionable probably put 700-800 rounds down range this past few months in preparation for a Wyoming hunt. the latter relates to a lot of re-loading, the components were scarce but again with a bit of looking they are out there, was the price elevated a little but not too bad.

Don't dump that southern slander on me, I live in the south. No Wyoming gun fights for me, hunting Antelope and Mule Deer this trip out, possibility for shots out to 500 yards. And yes, I can shoot the distance and hit what I shoot at therefore the reasons for the practicing.

As does Kibler for his production.

I can point to my area of employment as a good example of the same dynamic. My company holds maybe 12 percent of the North American market. The small handful of other companies combined building the same type of product enjoy the other 88 percent. They of course for various reasons build more product combined than we do. They are the bigger fish, we are small fish. They get parts from the same parts suppliers LONG before we do, BECAUSE their invoices yield higher dollars to the bottom line.

In the traditional gun parts market, outfits like Chambers and Kibler are the big fish, and the regular gunsmith or DIY guy is the puny small fish. Who do you think will enjoy the lion's share of available parts, and who do you think will struggle even finding any?
Kibler makes his own parts with his CNC machinery. Being able to engineer CNC machining, applied to "old timey" parts has really allowed his business to "take off"!

Don't dump that southern slander on me, I live in the south. No Wyoming gun fights for me, hunting Antelope and Mule Deer this trip out, possibility for shots out to 500 yards. And yes, I can shoot the distance and hit what I shoot at therefore the reasons for the practicing.
You're a nervy type aren't you.

Bless your heart ..............

Exactly WHAT PART of my original post do you grouchy curmudgeons take offense to that you feel the need to bull up and cry like babies over it?

I didn't create the parts shortage nor did I create the fallout around it. Neither did I create the dynamics that WE ALL are having to deal with because it.

Some of you people are definitely special.......

I remember a video some time back where Kibler remarked that GM wouldn't rifle anything smaller than .45 for him (maybe the twist? Maybe too much money flying in the doors from even bigger fish needing boatloads of modern rifle barrels to tie up equipment or retool for small runs of smallbore BP barrels? Who knows?) so he invented a method and adapted a CNC lathe to do it himself. It was that or go broke waiting to fill smallbore SMR orders. I'm guessing GM was more than happy to supply gun-drilled and reamed blanks as long as they didn't have to fool with the rest of it. Pretty sure he already does his own profiling, the WR barrel tennons are integral to the barrel itself....what barrel supplier is gonna do THAT for you? His stuff fits together so well because he machines every part himself including his locks and springs and writes the code and knows every tolerance number, every fit point, every clearance point, and tweaks this and that until all the parts fit each other how they need to fit. Then the production is pulled off with accurate and repeatable setups. I called to talk to him once and he was on a three day trip buying out a closing hardwood dealer's stock so he could keep the stock blank flow going. He buys logs when and where he can find them and saws them up on his own band saw mill. He farms out the steel foundry work for the small parts but casts his own wax investments for the foundry. The engineering and material efficiency of his shipping crates is a marvel in and of itself. All this to reduce dependence on unreliable supply chains and disappearing resources. I don't know when he sleeps, eats, or spends time with his family. Now you know a little about how he does what he does and why, and also why only offers three models so far, two of which share a lot of parts.

Back