• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seavey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I currently use Triple Seven in my CVA Hawken .50 cal rifle. I also have about 3/4 of a pound of Pyrodex that is almost 20 years old. I have kept it dry in a sealed jar all this time. Is it safe to use? If not is there a safe way to dispose of it?

I'd load a slightly reduced load and try it. One thing for sure it won't be more powerful and I've shot 12 year old Pyrodex that worked just fine.

yep i'd use it. Not sure why you'd decrease it since pyrodex Looses power over a long period of time.

Rifleman1776 said:
It could be so safe after all these years it might not ignite at all.
It is good garden fertilizer. That's a fact.
:bull:

Pyrodex has been one of the most respected sub powders ever made. Its a great powder for the sidelock shooter, not worth a hoot for flintlock, but then again, they dont market it for a flintlock.

Consistent and reliable for over 40 years.

I am currently using the remains of a can of Pyrodex RS that's gotta be at least 36 years old. I came across it in some stored boxes that have been in my garage for over 20 years, now. Storage conditions weren't at all kind at at least 135º all summer.

Try some out by wrapping about 1/4 tsp. in a piece of TP, then light it. it should burn with a vigorous poof - if it just sizzles or is obviously weak, spread it around the lawn & water it in well.

Consistent and reliable for over 40 years.

This is a game of doin' yer own thang. Use it if you wish.
I was one of the original pre-market testers. At that time, I could not get it to ignite at all. I know that issue has been improved upon but Pyrodex is still a hard to ignite product. Even though I met Dan Pawlak the inventor (wonderful person sadly lost too soon) I am not a fan of his product.
I'm a bp only proponent for this ml game.

so youre just a BP snob is all. No changing your mind. Ive used it for well over 14 years and love the stuff. I like it a lot better than T7, thats for sure.

Wasn't there an article in Muzzleloader some time back about age and Pyrodex where they chronographed loads using fresh and old powder?I found a can hidden away awhile back that was a round cardboard can,opened it up and there were chunks inside,fertilizer material.

Sounds to me like some of you are not shooting enough :haha: , I never have to worry about my powder getting old it dont sit around that long. :rotf:

lorren68 said:
Sounds to me like some of you are not shooting enough :haha: , I never have to worry about my powder getting old it dont sit around that long. :rotf:

Exactly! A pound of powder maybe sits a week when i take it easy.

I was given a couple of pounds(opened) by an "old" shooter. It's dated quite a while ago. I test it annually and it is still viable. I think it all determines on how you store it.

I have both flintlocks and caplocks, but I have been using primarily BP. I have a feeling some tougher laws on black powder are coming, so I will probably start buying pyrodex for my caplocks and save the bp for my flinters. I started out using pyrodex rs with my cappers and it worked well. I tried triple 7 but I liked the regular pyrodex better.

I have the better part of a twenty year old pound that shot fine, as of about a month and a half ago.

M. Seavey said:
I currently use Triple Seven in my CVA Hawken .50 cal rifle. I also have about 3/4 of a pound of Pyrodex that is almost 20 years old. I have kept it dry in a sealed jar all this time. Is it safe to use? If not is there a safe way to dispose of it?

Do your rifle a favor and dump it on your lawn and water it.
First it does degrade from what I have read and its far more corrosive than T7 or BP.

Dan

Already spoke to Chris at Hodgdon, Pyrodex being more corrosive than BP is :bull:

If you are worried about whats corrosive.... why aintcha cleaned yer gun?

As for shooting only bp, I am in agreement with Rifleman1776. Guess that makes me a bp snob, too. :idunno: So this is for you :blah:

Back