• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple Seven seems to have solved my misfiring problem, but now what should I do with my Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t understand the hate for pyrodex. Back in the early ‘80’s when I bought my first ML, that was all I used. No misfires and could shoot 20-30 times without swabbing the bore. I tried real black and after a couple of shots I almost needed a hammer to seat the ball it was so dirty.

I use duplex loads in my rifle and my pyrodex does just fine. I first drop a measured charge of BP, then On top of that is the same measured load of pyrodex. Shoots fine and makes my small stock of real BP last twice as long.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I have a couple of lbs of pyrodex that I would gladly give away. I wound up with it from an estate. I’m not ready to jump into the love/hate debate, I’m just fortunate to have always had a good supply of black powder and I really like black powder <G>. Also no interest in mailing or shipping it.

Thanks,
O.R.

I have used Pyrodex almost exclusively for 45+ years in a large variety of muzzleloaders, both long guns and handguns. I have NEVER had a failure to fire, or even a hesitation, when the cap ignited. My one and only hang fire came using 777 in a rifle. Was shooting a 3 shot group from the bench, the first two shots were normal, the third had a full 3 second delay from the time the cap popped to the gun discharging. Kind of shook my confidence in 777, and now I only use my remaining 777 at the range, where I have had no further problems. My guns using Pyrodex have bores that look factory new after decades of use. In MY guns, Pyrodex is cleaner than Holy Black, including Swiss. I save real black powder for my flintlocks. For the record, I live in a high humidity area, with wild swings in temperatures. I have never understood the hatred for Pyrodex.

PastorB, me either. I prefer black most of the time but do shoot Pyrodex since I have some and occasionally find it real cheap at a garage sale etc.

Why do I not use Pyrodex?

I have to go back many years to the time when I was first starting out. I had my Navy Arms Reb revolver and Dupont powder was cheap. My 2F powder would foul and cleaning the arbor to keep the cylinder turning was a bit of a chore. The Crisco over the ball made everything a greasy mess. Then some of the gun magazines that had a black powder writer began discussing a new substitute black powder. You used the same measure and fouling was greatly reduced to the point that cleaning away that sooty fouling was no longer required. According to the interviews with Dan Pawlak, the developer of Pyrodex (long before the explosion) this was just a much needed improvement over black powder.

I did find some Pyrodex in the round containers. I bought both the RS and the P grade powders. Using the P grade powder, I immediately started getting hangfires. Sure, the fouling was r.educed, but there was no longer the near instantaneous firing I was getting with good old Dupont. That can has been capped, sealed and sits on a shelf in my gun safe to remind me of those hangfires.

A few years later, I was at a range with someone shooting his side by side. Every shot was a hang fire. Long story short, he was using Pyrodex. The hangfires were eliminated when he loaded with black powder.

Maybe the formula has improved. There are now the hot magnum caps and the improved nipples that deliver more flame to the flash channel. I know that there are many users of Pyrodex that find it acceptable and due to the present regulations that make availability of real black powder so impossible for many of us, I have recommended the use of Tripple 7 or Pyrodex especially someone starting out that only wants 1 pound of powder to start on the path of traditional muzzleloading.

For me, my experience is to avoid Pyrodex and since I am shooting flint lock firearms more and more, it's going to be black powder.

I have used Pyrodex almost exclusively for 45+ years in a large variety of muzzleloaders, both long guns and handguns. I have NEVER had a failure to fire, or even a hesitation, when the cap ignited. My one and only hang fire came using 777 in a rifle. Was shooting a 3 shot group from the bench, the first two shots were normal, the third had a full 3 second delay from the time the cap popped to the gun discharging. Kind of shook my confidence in 777, and now I only use my remaining 777 at the range, where I have had no further problems. My guns using Pyrodex have bores that look factory new after decades of use. In MY guns, Pyrodex is cleaner than Holy Black, including Swiss. I save real black powder for my flintlocks. For the record, I live in a high humidity area, with wild swings in temperatures. I have never understood the hatred for Pyrodex.
the guys that hate pyrodex might be right. I had a new pistol fired 4 full cylinders with pyrodex. cleaned it put it away. the next day all that was left were the wooden grips and a pile of rust. :ghostly:

Latest posts

Back