• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Things said that make me want to shoot alone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got out to shoot today PRB .440 .15 ticking and 20g pyrodex. I like my percussion locks, revolvers and In- Lines I can feed em all pyrodex different load sizes of course. As time went by someone else decides to show up shoot, public area, I have no complaints. We get to chatting exchanging pleasantries discussing loads patch material, Well he spouts Buck Horn 209 or Triple 7 there is no way anyone would ever catch me using a "Substitute in my Muzzle loader" it hurt my brain kind of smashed into the side of my skull I packed my stuff and took a leave. Now was he just screwing with me? or does he truly believe 209 and Triple 7 are not Substitutes? What I KNOW is 1) I am not that guy anymore 2) If it has "PROPELLANT" on the packaging it is a Substitute! and 3) It is much more delightful to walk away, leaving stupidity to stew in stupidity, cause similar to hornets what happens when ya poke a hornets nest with a stick and give it a stir? Nah Man no need to spread that stuff out. Let it Be.......

It would have been easier on your blood pressure and your day's shooting if you could have just said,
"Well, that's good for you, I enjoy shooting too." ,, "But right now I'm trying some load development, and I need to focus here, let me know when you need to go down range."
What he does, is what he does,, what I do, is what I do.
I might be spoiled, I don't go to "public" ranges. For a small yearly fee I go to our "private range", that way I only have to deal with 500 idiots.

p.s. I use BP of course, but have used T7 for well over a decade also. Maybe you invited his comments when he saw your In-line,,
, I don't shoot those, I wouldn't know.
p.s.s. I'm sorry, I do shoot in-lines,, Hanging from a rope at the 50yrd line,, it's fun. ;)

Last edited:
I used to be a substitute snob and always grumbled when someone thought pyrodex or T7 was actually real BP. I’m still a purist and 90% of all my shooting with with real BP. I picked up a jug of Triple 7 a couple years ago and now I use it a lot. In percussion revolvers 3F T7 is pretty awesome. Hot loads of T7 in a Ruger old army makes it a powerhouse. 2F T7 in my percussion shotguns for good velocity and easy cleanup. I use the 2F T7 in my Trapdoor 45-70 and .455 Webley cartridge loads. Good stuff. In my percussion and flint rifles for hunting and matches I still stick with real BP 100%.

In all my shooting at the local public range I have only seen one other guy shooting a muzzle loader, turned out he was my former neighbor. He was shooting a TC, flinching badly from the maxi ball recoil and didn't know anything about working up a load. He didn't ask for help so I didn't offer any. He did dry ball and didn't have a ball puller so I walked over and pulled the maxi for him, he didn't even know what a ball puller was. He was getting ready for a two-day early M/L season that was coming up on the Mgt area. He was a really nice guy, but didn't know squat about muzzle loaders, his shooting was so poor that he decided not to go hunting with his rifle.

He was shooting pydrodex and getting hangfires, I suspect his pyrodex was very old. Back in the day when black powder was available in almost every gun shop and hardware store, we all shot it. When things changed and I had to drive 50 miles to buy black, I shot pyrodex for a while. When I really got caught up on the sport and the internet opened up with sites like this, I found I could buy black online and have kept a good stock of the stuff ever since. I got caught up in the inline craze for a few years but came back to earth with sidelocks about 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I’m a black powder snob, but I shoot flint. I do have some p but shoot it only in my SMR. With a black powder kicker charge. Since I only shoot about forty grains by volume of tge P my stock pile doesn’t loose weight very fast
The sun never sets on a dirty gun of mine so I don’t worry about increased corrosion useing p and I don’t use it hunting

I got out to shoot today PRB .440 .15 ticking and 20g pyrodex. I like my percussion locks, revolvers and In- Lines I can feed em all pyrodex different load sizes of course. As time went by someone else decides to show up shoot, public area, I have no complaints. We get to chatting exchanging pleasantries discussing loads patch material, Well he spouts Buck Horn 209 or Triple 7 there is no way anyone would ever catch me using a "Substitute in my Muzzle loader" it hurt my brain kind of smashed into the side of my skull I packed my stuff and took a leave. Now was he just screwing with me? or does he truly believe 209 and Triple 7 are not Substitutes? What I KNOW is 1) I am not that guy anymore 2) If it has "PROPELLANT" on the packaging it is a Substitute! and 3) It is much more delightful to walk away, leaving stupidity to stew in stupidity, cause similar to hornets what happens when ya poke a hornets nest with a stick and give it a stir? Nah Man no need to spread that stuff out. Let it Be.......
Probably a good decision to just walk away. Given some of the posts I have seen on here and other pages I follow there are a lot of people out there who don't have a clue what they are doing and get angry when you try to actually help them. If I wasn't limited in the range I can shoot behind my house I don't think I would ever go to a public range ever again.

I would have pulled out my old standby of “I could be wrong, I usually am…”,
My favorite retort to know-it-alls is ... "Well, I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong ... " Leaves them speechless ... LOL!

Used it on a Vice President of a company once, he was stunned, but turns out I was right (of which I knew that of course). He loved me after that, as I was the only one to ever question him and/or who ever had the 'nads to stand up to him.

I have been shooting since the early 70s. I shoot only real black and never even tried substitutes. If I shot caps, maybe???? What you shoot is your business! You did what you did cuz you didn't want to hear it. I personally just ignore people like that, and go on about my own business. I would not want to miss out on some shooting.
Larry

Public ranges scare the sweet-Jesus out of me. Some of the stories I've heard, and things that I've seen, have made sure that I have no intention of returning to one.

I'm incredibly fortunate to have space to shoot on my property now, and cool neighbors. I love shooting with my friends and family, but not strangers. When we were living in a small neighborhood, and I didn't shoot for almost a year and a half.

Back