• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple Seven seems to have solved my misfiring problem, but now what should I do with my Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeDude

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out why my Traditions Kentucky Pistol is misfiring since I bought it. Originally I thought it was because swapped out the stock nipple for a musket nipple since I could only find musket caps, and then thought the hammer wasn't striking them right since it was not stock so I had to space the hammer off a little bit. Well finally I tried some Triple Seven 3FG equivalent since it was the first time I could find any 3FG equivalent and I only had one misfire out of about fifty.

So I am glad that it seems like it just needed finer power, but kinda sad I wasted so many precious caps figuring it out, because now I can't even find the musket caps I had been finding before.

Now I'm not really sure what to do with the Pyrodex. I was thinking maybe I could use the Triple Seven as a pre-load to make sure the Pyrodex ignites? For example maybe put in 5 grains of Triple Seven, followed by 15-20 grains of Pyrodex.

Otherwise I was wondering if maybe there was some way I could grind the Pyrodex down finer?

I was thinking maybe I could use the Triple Seven as a pre-load to make sure the Pyrodex ignites? For example maybe put in 5 grains of Triple Seven, followed by 15-20 grains of Pyrodex.
We call it a "duplex load" and that's an idea that should work well for you.
The fire channel on those can be a problem too, you just have to make sure it's free of any lubrication or storage oils, clean and dry.
Give the pistol a little "knock" on it's side to settle some powder into the fire channel before topping it off and loading the ball.

If you have a different gun that one might like the pyrodex? put the stock nipple back on and try some magnum percussion caps? or do the prime it with 777 and pyro on top?

Unless your pyrodex was very old, or damp it should ignite just as easily as triple 7. Using a musket cap should ignite it just fine. Id almost bet that there is/was and obstruction in your drum or breach. Most likely fouling or oil. Pull the nipple, clean very well, then blast that area with brake cleaner. Use a pipe cleaner to clean it out really well. Try the pyrodex again. If a musket cap won’t set off pyrodex it’s because the flame is not making it to the powder. It’s not because of the powder.

Last edited:
I’ve used pyrodex that shot very hot , just out of a fresh can, and some that malfunctioned- out of a fresh can. No consistency.

Pyro P is good in revolvers. People that say otherwise clearly have limited experience actually shooting with it.
Actually, I do have quite a bit of experience using it... and cleaning up after its use also... over a period of 10 or so years... which is why I won't use it, recommend its use and actively discourage its use. It takes a lot more cleaning than real BP, if not cleaned repeatedly it WILL flash rust. With BP, I can flush with water until patches come out clean, dry, then oil and store. With Pyrodex, it was flush with water until patches looked clean, dry, oil, repeat at least twice more as the oil patch would come out with hints of rust, and still the next day, a slight coating of flash rust. Again, flush, dry and oil... and again on the 3rd day. I was told once that Pyrodex creates a type sulfuric acid like substance on the barrel when fired, which will rust faster'n you can blink. And borne out in my experience. Climate may be a factor, but here in soggy South, I won't use it... I can buy BP mail order for less, so why?

5% humidity here in AZ most of last week. I have no problems with it at all. Have a round can thats REALLY old, clumped etc. I break the clumps load and fire no issues. Then I clean like always and no issue. Climate DOES Matter, just like size LOL FILTHY MINDED OLD COOTS. I meant use Prodex P in the pistol and RS or select elsewehere. Dirty dirty dirty ol mens minds. HA

Unless your pyrodex was very old, or damp it should ignite just as easily as triple 7. Using a musket cap should ignite it just fine. Id almost bet that there is/was and obstruction in your drum or breach. Most likely fouling or oil. Pull the nipple, clean very well, then blast that area with brake cleaner. Use a pipe cleaner to clean it out really well. Try the pyrodex again. If a musket cap won’t set off pyrodex it’s because the flame is not making it to the powder. It’s not because of the powder.
This is 100% correct. You are using a musket cap which produces much more flame/heat/energy than any #11 cap. Pyrodex has a slightly lower ignition temp than T7. Like @TreeMan said, you have a blockage somewhere, either metal debris or oil/grease/crud.

In 2000 i bought a cheap inline rifle. That rifle has fired over 3,500 rounds using Pyrodex exclusively. The bore is shiny bright with no pits.

Pyrodex is no harder to clean than black powder. The residue of Pyrodex is no more corrosive than that of black powder. If you're cleaning the rifle right there's no need to it clean again.

In 2000 i bought a cheap inline rifle. That rifle has fired over 3,500 rounds using Pyrodex exclusively. The bore is shiny bright with no pits.

Pyrodex is no harder to clean than black powder. The residue of Pyrodex is no more corrosive than that of black powder. If you're cleaning the rifle right there's no need to it clean again.
This man is spot on concerning Pyrodex. I used Pyrodex exclusively up to about 10 years ago when at about the same time I was given a few pounds of Dupont FFG, Curtis Harvey FFFG, and I decided I wanted a flintlock. I never had a problem with Pyrodex 'rotting' out bores. Clean the gun correctly and you will have no issues. Cut corners, well.......

Now all I use is real BP. BUT if real BP became impossible to buy, I would save it for the flintlocks and use Pyrodex for the percussion guns.

All that said, I HATE T7.

edit- I should add that I used Pyrodex almost exclusively for 20 years with no problems. You shoot, that means you clean.

Back