• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Things said that make me want to shoot alone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a range story but a very sad one. I was shooting at the local public range when a younger guy drifted over to see my flintlock, I could tell he was very depressed and a beaten man, he just had that aura about him. As we talked, I told him I was a vet, he said he was too and having a very bad time of it.

I let him shoot my flintlock, he told me his M/L beat his shoulder up and it was painful to shoot. I questioned him and found out his rifle had a deep crescent butt plate and he was holding it on his shoulder. I told him TN rifles like his were made to hold just above the bicep, this made sense to him and he almost smiled.

He talked more and said he couldn't handle the killing when he was in combat, he had been a Marine in Fallujah and had a breakdown after he killed his first man. He said they sent him to Bosnia to decompress and them put him back into combat where he had to kill in hand-to-hand combat. He had a major breakdown and the Marines discharged him with a mental disability. I have never seen a man so beaten and destroyed by PTSD, my heart went out to this guy but there was nothing I could do.

I mentioned that I made bows, he said he had always been interested in making his own bow. I told him I would give him a call so he could come to my shop and learn bow making.

He lived with his dad, I called, his dad said his son wasn't taking calls, I called again later, and got the same message from his dad.

I don't remember his name, this took place about 5 years ago, I haven't seen his picture in the local obits and I might not have caught it if he was. I could tell he was thinking of taking his life when I was talking to him, I felt so helpless, I reached out but couldn't do a thing for him.

I was hawkish when I joined the Army in 67, I was a helicopter crewchief but went to Germany instead of Vietnam. Our company in Germany was comprised of at least 50% combat vet crewchiefs who were sent to Germany to finish out their left-over enlistment time. After talking to these guys about how it really was, I left the service with a completely different outlook on US involvement in other countries' problems. So many brave and gallant men used as cannon fodder for no valid reason. I still believe in a quick and decisive strike on those who attack us but no more protracted un-winnable wars like Vietnam and Afghanistan, our amazing men and women in the service deserve much better.
Chris Kyle was trying to help out a Vet with PTSD when he was murdered!

i have to wait out this bunch on my range multiple times a day. they never ask questions but sure lollygag .
deer .jpg

The deer reminds me of being on the 100-yard firing range at Ft Gordon in basic in in 67; the whole company was shoulder to shoulder facing the targets when a deer appeared at the right side of the range, someone took a shot at it, the deer panicked and ran the entire length of the range in front of the targets. The DI was screaming "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE" but it was too late, the mad minute had started. Almost all of the guys I went through basic with were NGs just off the block in NYC or Jersey, some had never seen a tree much less a deer. The deer made it from one end of the range to the other unscathed by the 100 or so shots directed at it.

This young redneck ridge running Tennessee boy never raised his rifle because he knew I couldn't properly dress and utilize a deer while in basic. I had been shooting guns since I was 8 years old, shooting stuff on the run was a no brainer for my type of folk. When I questioned the 10 or so other southern boys after this incident, I found out that none of us took a shot.

The deer reminds me of being on the 100-yard firing range at Ft Gordon in basic in in 67; the whole company was shoulder to shoulder facing the targets when a deer appeared at the right side of the range, someone took a shot at it, the deer panicked and ran the entire length of the range in front of the targets. The DI was screaming "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE" but it was too late, the mad minute had started. Almost all of the guys I went through basic with were NGs just off the block in NYC or Jersey, some had never seen a tree much less a deer. The deer made it from one end of the range to the other unscathed by the 100 or so shots directed at it.

This young redneck ridge running Tennessee boy never raised his rifle because he knew I couldn't properly dress and utilize a deer while in basic. I had been shooting guns since I was 8 years old, shooting stuff on the run was a no brainer for my type of folk. When I questioned the 10 or so other southern boys after this incident, I found out that none of us took a shot.
And how happy was the DI after all the shootin and missing?

This story is true. The names have been changed to protect the idiots. I knew a E-1 who worked on one of the fort wood ranges. Totally broke, he was complaining to the E-6 who was his boss that month. “ Not even enough money for a proper Thanksgiving dinner!” Ok, said his boss. Took his personal rifle from his car ( back when you could do that) climbed the tower, waited a bit, then made a head shot on a turkey that I was told was 150 yards away. Came back with the turkey , and gave it to the stunned E-1……

I got out to shoot today PRB .440 .15 ticking and 20g pyrodex. I like my percussion locks, revolvers and In- Lines I can feed em all pyrodex different load sizes of course. As time went by someone else decides to show up shoot, public area, I have no complaints. We get to chatting exchanging pleasantries discussing loads patch material, Well he spouts Buck Horn 209 or Triple 7 there is no way anyone would ever catch me using a "Substitute in my Muzzle loader" it hurt my brain kind of smashed into the side of my skull I packed my stuff and took a leave. Now was he just screwing with me? or does he truly believe 209 and Triple 7 are not Substitutes? What I KNOW is 1) I am not that guy anymore 2) If it has "PROPELLANT" on the packaging it is a Substitute! and 3) It is much more delightful to walk away, leaving stupidity to stew in stupidity, cause similar to hornets what happens when ya poke a hornets nest with a stick and give it a stir? Nah Man no need to spread that stuff out. Let it Be.......
You don't want to shoot Black Horn in a traditional style muzzleloader. For that matter even in many in lines they cannot handle the pressure!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, UK, NO public ranges, so no jerks trying to blow themselves [and you] up using the wrong kind of boom powder.

Last edited:
I had to go to a range when I lived in Florida. Had to deal with a "range master" because of all the idiots there. I belong to a local club here in PA that has a nice rifle range to 300 yds and a pistol range. Also a walk through archery course. Its members only and me and my buddy usually go there during the week early in the morning so we rarely have anyone else there.
But if I don't want to drive the 15 or so miles I just hop on my ATV and go 1/2 mile from my house to the strippings. I just set up a range now after the coal company cleared some land and I have a 550 yard range marked in 50 yard increments from 200 out to 550.
I have a big box on the back of the ATV that makes for a perfect fairly solid rest for my sandbags (actually rice bags). I picked up some railroad plates that I painted white for targets. One of which I had a neighbor weld 2 together for the long shots.

I got out to shoot today PRB .440 .15 ticking and 20g pyrodex. I like my percussion locks, revolvers and In- Lines I can feed em all pyrodex different load sizes of course. As time went by someone else decides to show up shoot, public area, I have no complaints. We get to chatting exchanging pleasantries discussing loads patch material, Well he spouts Buck Horn 209 or Triple 7 there is no way anyone would ever catch me using a "Substitute in my Muzzle loader" it hurt my brain kind of smashed into the side of my skull I packed my stuff and took a leave. Now was he just screwing with me? or does he truly believe 209 and Triple 7 are not Substitutes? What I KNOW is 1) I am not that guy anymore 2) If it has "PROPELLANT" on the packaging it is a Substitute! and 3) It is much more delightful to walk away, leaving stupidity to stew in stupidity, cause similar to hornets what happens when ya poke a hornets nest with a stick and give it a stir? Nah Man no need to spread that stuff out. Let it Be.......
I could care less what some one else uses and thinks about what they use? Shooting is shooting and if it will get my ball down range and into the target I am satisfied. I am a little amazed that you have an inline and complained about what the fellow thought about his propellent?

i have to wait out this bunch on my range multiple times a day. they never ask questions but sure lollygag .
View attachment 220096
We got Sheeped at our Spring Rendezvous last month.
The sheep that clear our local hills just had to do our range the weekend of Rendezvous!
Then those lazy 'non animals' decided to Nap most of the directly under our targets!! Not even a warning shot phased them....but I think it got the attention of the Shepherd...who did absolutely Nothing to make them move on

I so wish there was public land near me to shoot on. Unfortunately 95% of all land in Texas is privately owned. The only gun club I know near me has a whopping $10,000 initiation fee.... guess I'll stick to public ranges.
Wow! I guess Texas has changed a lot since I was a kid and my older cousin used to take be coon hunting down by the river, then street racing (he needed the coons to prove to our parents he dit Not take me racing 👌). That was back around late 60s to early 70s.

Latest posts

Back