• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not sure if I can make this happen but…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My modern big game rifles have aperture sights. Once they are sighted in, the the aperture is unscrewed, and the sights for hunting are basically a ghost ring. Accuracy does not suffer.
Yep, that can work good. I have done this with another peep.

However, from my research, longer distance accuracy will totally depend on how big the ghost ring is. Most information from those have have used certain size ghost rings (not all sizes) report that their longer distance accuracy suffered.

I will find out with this one. If I decide to use it as a ghost ring, it measures 7/32= .21875 ID.

XS Ghost Ring offers .150 and .230 ID sights. So, this would be a little smaller than the largest one.

The only way to know for certain how well this might work is to take it to the range and test it. If I can get good accuracy out to 75 yards, like I was getting with the Lyman 57 I had drilled out, then that will suffice.

https://www.americanhunter.org/cont...,optical scope, but it’s the next best thing.

Last edited:
How do you like that peep on your Crockett Ed?
Ya know, for what it is, I like it. It works real well for my thick, dark and sometimes rugged hunting grounds. I really put my Crockett rifle through the test this past year. Many hunts with some being in the rain. Most of that was with the peep I have now. It does not appear to be all that durable but so far, it has held up fine. I have made some very difficult shots on squirrels in the dark woods here with that peep. Considering it folds rearward out of the way, that helps a lot.

My only concern with it is longevity, which remains to be seen.

There is absolutely no doubt about it. This little peep has saved the day for this ole boy. My old and damaged eyes can no longer do open sights.

Last edited:
I’m very interested in this project. I considered doing the same thing to my renegade but didn’t want to buy an expensive sight and have it not work.

What kind of front sight are you going with?

Do you know where one of these sights could be sourced? All of them I’ve seen fold backward.
Right now I'm using the original front blade sight that came on the ML. However, I'm considering ordering a Marble front sight for this ML and my Crockett.

I got this sight from Dixie Gun Works.

Yep, that can work good. I have done this with another peep.

However, from my research, longer distance accuracy will totally depend on how big the ghost ring is. Most information from those have have used certain size ghost rings (not all sizes) report that their longer distance accuracy suffered.

I will find out with this one. If I decide to use it as a ghost ring, it measures 7/32= .21875 ID.

XS Ghost Ring offers .150 and .230 ID sights. So, this would be a little smaller than the largest one.

The only way to know for certain how well this might work is to take it to the range and test it. If I can get good accuracy out to 75 yards, like I was getting with the Lyman 57 I had drilled out, then that will suffice.

https://www.americanhunter.org/cont...,optical scope, but it’s the next best thing.
How far are you going to shoot with a muzzle loader? I've killed deer at 200 yards with bolt rifles and the ghost ring.

I've been playing with peeps for a while now as even after 3 surgeries when sighting I see a shadow image when sighting (Two rear sights) the one i have on my Seneca 32 is a Johnson peep with a adjustable iris, it does require more work to mount but its not hatefull. another one that i found use full was a T/C peep for one of their inlines i forget which one but it works well I have it mounted on my Scout. I also have used the Bulls eye ghost ring for in the woods and it is fast and minute of deer out to a hundred yards or so. I wasn't sure it would work as well as a peep mounted on the tang but it was responsible for a quick shot on a 170 lb doe at 80 yards this fall
DSC04149.JPG
DSC04150.JPG
DSC04152.JPG

When I bow hunted I had to use a 3/8" peep to get enough light to see and that worked good enough at 30 yards thatI had to use a different bullseye for each shot to keep from destroying arrows. If I go back to rifle hunting g I'll pr0bably have to go with a gost ring.

How far are you going to shoot with a muzzle loader? I've killed deer at 200 yards with bolt rifles and the ghost ring.
Considering this is a round ball shooter, 75 to 100 yards.

No doubt longer shots are possible when using a ghost ring. Not arguing that one bit. But from all the information I have studied, all of it states longer distance accuracy degraded. May not be enough to make a difference on a big game animal, however.

Last edited:
When I bow hunted I had to use a 3/8" peep to get enough light to see and that worked good enough at 30 yards thatI had to use a different bullseye for each shot to keep from destroying arrows. If I go back to rifle hunting g I'll pr0bably have to go with a gost ring.
Yep, when I had to give up vertical bows I was using a 5/16” peep. I had good accuracy.

I've been playing with peeps for a while now as even after 3 surgeries when sighting I see a shadow image when sighting (Two rear sights) the one i have on my Seneca 32 is a Johnson peep with a adjustable iris, it does require more work to mount but its not hatefull. another one that i found use full was a T/C peep for one of their inlines i forget which one but it works well I have it mounted on my Scout. I also have used the Bulls eye ghost ring for in the woods and it is fast and minute of deer out to a hundred yards or so. I wasn't sure it would work as well as a peep mounted on the tang but it was responsible for a quick shot on a 170 lb doe at 80 yards this fall View attachment 288605View attachment 288606View attachment 288607
Congrats on the doe.

I’m totally sold on peeps. Considering my bad eye sight, peeps are my last chance before a scope. And I refuse to put a scope on a traditional ML. If I gotta go that route, then I’ll go to one of those new fandango ML’s if that what it takes to keep ML hunting.

I have been really encouraged since installing a ghost peep out on my barrel at the normal rear sight dovetail.

Degrading accuracy, though minimal, is a given as the aperture hole size increases past a certain point, but may be different by individual depending on their pupil diameter in varying light conditions:

The theory of operation behind the aperture sight is often stated that the human eye will automatically center the front sight when looking through the rear aperture, thus ensuring accuracy. However, aperture sights are accurate even if the front sight is not centered in the rear aperture due to a phenomenon called parallax suppression. This is because, when the aperture is smaller than the eye's pupil diameter, the aperture itself becomes the entrance pupil for the entire optical system of target, front sight post, rear aperture, and eye. As long as the aperture's diameter is completely contained within the eye's pupil diameter, the exact visual location of the front sight post within the rear aperture ring does not affect the accuracy, and accuracy only starts to degrade slightly due to parallax shift as the aperture's diameter begins to encroach on the outside of the eye's pupil diameter. An additional benefit to aperture sights is that smaller apertures provide greater depth of field, making the target less blurry when focusing on the front sight.

In low light conditions the parallax suppression phenomenon is markedly better. The depth of field looking through the sight remains the same as in bright conditions. This is in contrast to open sights, where the eye's pupil will become wider in low light conditions, meaning a larger aperture and a blurrier target. The downside to this is that the image through an aperture sight is darker than with an open sight.

I think also with me it's old-man muscle memory, since I've been almost exclusively shooting military unmentionables with peeps, dots, scopes, etc successfully for decades, and then coming back recently to the old blade and buckhorn sights I had issues with sight picture.

I’m going to try anyway. It’s not completely mounted yet. Needs a rear wood screw of the proper size. Also need to drill out the aperture. There’s room but not a whole lot to get it as large as I like. I think it will work on this .54 GPR well enough so I can see in poor light conditions. This is my deer tool for this coming season.ww
Source of screws Gun Screws They have quite an assortment of correct screws, very reasonable price. I put a Williams peep sight on my Traditions St Lewis Hawken, I have enclosed photos. Front sight is a Lyman 17 globe sight.

Attachments

• Williams from rear.jpg
    Williams from rear.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Lyman 17 GLobe.jpg
    Lyman 17 GLobe.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Williams left side.jpg
    Williams left side.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I installed a sight like that on my 45/70. Using the tang screw, even when I lay it down to use the factory peeps the recoil hits my cheek. Now I know why Quigley unscrewed his.
Currently looking for a thumb screw so I can remove it.

That’s exactly what I’ve always wondered about them. Seems like it would be awesome if you want to take a shot over 150 but I’d like to be able to use regular sights most of the time.

Back