• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well, they are both done...............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few days ago I purchased a used Lyman 57 peep sight for my .54 GPR. Due to vision problems (old eyes) the buckhorn sight was simply not going to cut it. A wedge and screw came with the sight. Made a trip to town this morning and picked up a drill and a tap. Back home I first marked the proper location for the one hole I had to drill and tap. Then it was disassemble time, pulled the tang, took one more measurement and placed on X over the center of the hole location. Everything went well. I did have to add one shim to get it level.

The sight came with what I believe was a .40" aperture. Well, that wasn't going to cut it either. I do not know the exact size of the aperture in my TC peep but its pretty big, and it flat out works awesome in the darker woods. Didn't have a drill bit that size so I had to drop down some to drill out the .40 thousands aperture in my Lyman sight to 107 thousands. Walked out back and took aim at a stump down the hill in the darker woods. I would reckon its about 80 yards down there. Its going to work out great. Clear sight picture and I can still easily center the front bead in the aperture.

I also reinstalled the TC peep on my New Englander.

I plan on making a trip to the range tomorrow where I can get some farther distances and get them both zeroed in.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Getting the ML ready for in the morning. Ran a patch down the barrel and noticed it came out with a small cut in it. Ran two more down the bore and they too, were cut. Not real bad but they were cut. Lapped the barrel. Patches are no longer cut.

She's loaded and ready to the range now.

The .54 Great Plains Rifle is ready to hunt with RB if I so desire. Needs a little work for conica(s).

75 yards. The one at 9:00 was an oops. I wasn’t even ready to pull the trigger.

The 107 thousands aperture works great.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpeg
    IMG_1399.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
The .54 Great Plains Rifle is ready to hunt with RB if I so desire. Needs a little work for conica(s).

75 yards. The one at 9:00 was an oops. I wasn’t even ready to pull the trigger.

The 107 thousands aperture works great.
Very good Ed, won't be too long. I will get an early start in Oct. 6/7/& 8th. For antlerless, i can take one each day. Yoy can kill all you want to buy tags for. I just don't think i could handle more than just one in the 3 days.

Very good Ed, won't be too long. I will get an early start in Oct. 6/7/& 8th. For antlerless, i can take one each day. Yoy can kill all you want to buy tags for. I just don't think i could handle more than just one in the 3 days.
Hope you have a great season, Mike.

Latest posts

Back