• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see the movie too, in spite of DiCaprio . . . Yet, it looks very dark. It says "based upon a true story" but that obviously doesn't mean much.

I saw an item on Mountain Men on History Channel via netflix and I think this Revenant movie is about the man mentioned in that HC documentary who was attacked by a bear, left behind with two men from a scouting party.

The men left behind thought he would die and left him . . . he hung in there and crawled to a fort 2 months later. The movie makes it look like the men buried him alive, don't think that is true and brings in a bunch of mystical spooky stuff . . . as well as his wanting revenge against those who left him.

Not sure if the revenge thing is true or just hollywood manure as everything they seem to make now has to be over the top.

Though I rarely go see movies at the theater, I may see this just for the guns in it and the general story.

The man was Hugh Glass, mauled by a bear while with the Ashley party, (182, present SD) and left to die with two other trappers to watch him. One was nineteen year old Jim Bridger.

Whether they thought he was dead, or were frightened off by Arikara Indians, the two took Glass's weapons, and left to catch up with the rest of the party. Unarmed, and badly mauled, Glass had to cover 200 miles of wild country on his own, though he was treated by friendly Indians, and given food and weapons. But Glass suffered great hardships.

Glass eventually caught up with Bridger, and forgave him, because of his youth. He did not kill the second man because he had become a soldier, and
had the protection of Government Service.

Glass was killed, along with two other trappers, by the Arikara, in 1833, along the Yellowstone.

The first written account named the younger man as 'Bridges'. Bridger was with Ashly and was 17 or 18, but we dont know for sure if it was him that stayed with Glass. The story, like the John Johnson story is so muddled its unlikly the facts will ever be known. This is how Achillies and Arthur were born.

Well fellers, guess it's time to tell you. Back in August of 2014, the Propmaster of this movie emailed Miss Tudy and requested that we make the bags and knives for the principal actors. We had a lot to do and a little time to do it. I can't show the pictures until after it comes out at Christmas, however at that time I will. Most notably, we made the Hugh Glass knife. If you look, you can see glimpses of it it various preview pictures on the internet. It's been a real hoot, reading the different posts in the last year and a half. Regardless of what some of you feel about Leonardo, it has been an honor to do this... Nifeman

Could have been him, in an age that would have held those actions beyond the pale and cowardly Bridger never suffered social repricusion for it. If it was truly Bridger that may have explained his later life as he strived to make up for what he did. It was pride worthy that glass let Bridger or bridges off with it on account of his youth. It was only a few years since the Brits hung a 12 year old midshipmen for surrendering his ship, blown apart with all the officers and senior warrants dead.since the court found the ship could still have been fought.

I think you all will enjoy the movie if you just watch it for what it is.

As with almost all Hollywood movies,
any resemblance between the real story and the movie is purely coincidental.

Don't expect things to be realistic.

Put your knowledge of the times and what really happened to Glass aside.

Just accept what you see as entertainment, not a lesson in history.

If you go with this in mind you'll enjoy the show. :)

I read Lord Grizzly by Frederick Manfred maybe 50 or more years ago as a teen. It is the Hugh Glass story. It is a historical novel, so has some doctoring. It was one of those tales that started the muzzle loading fire in me.

If you haven't read it give it a look. Your local library might have it or it is available at amazon.

I got lots of John Wayne westrens, The Mountian Men, how the west was won, ect. I'll be a watching it, most likely buy it. I might grumble a bit but all and all I'm looking forward to it

If this movie is a blockbuster, maybe someone will remake "Jeramiah Johnson" and "The Mountain Men".
Or maybe an original work, something completely new.

Smile when you say that Pilgrim.

FB_IMG_1446510495515_zpsaqcnvtob.jpg
[/URL][/img]

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

If we were having a contest.....you just won... :hatsoff:

Nifeman said:
Well fellers, guess it's time to tell you. Back in August of 2014, the Propmaster of this movie emailed Miss Tudy and requested that we make the bags and knives for the principal actors. We had a lot to do and a little time to do it. I can't show the pictures until after it comes out at Christmas, however at that time I will. Most notably, we made the Hugh Glass knife. If you look, you can see glimpses of it it various preview pictures on the internet. It's been a real hoot, reading the different posts in the last year and a half. Regardless of what some of you feel about Leonardo, it has been an honor to do this... Nifeman

Well, congratulations, that's really cool. I'll definitely pay close attention when I see the movie to see your handiwork.

Compare and contrast.....This is a new website sponsored by the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale, WY, to explore the myth & reality of Hugh Glass.
http://hughglass.org/

Rod

Ps. For what it's worth, I own a portion of Glass Bluffs, along the south side of the Missouri just downriver from the confluence of the Missouri & Yellowstone Rivers. And yes, named after Hugh Glass, from his time spent as a hunter employed at Ft. Union.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back