• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Kit is shipping!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using Tried and Tru oil, put it on in microscopic layers. It takes a long time to dry. Also, direct sunlight is your friend. 5 hours in direct sunlight is like 5 days without. It took me longer to apply the wood finish than it did to build the kit. BUT the final results are worth it.

If you are using Tried and Tru oil, put it on in microscopic layers. It takes a long time to dry. Also, direct sunlight is your friend. 5 hours in direct sunlight is like 5 days without. It took me longer to apply the wood finish than it did to build the kit. BUT the final results are worth it.
Thanks for the tips Siringo!

I haven't, Kibler is sending me some scrap maple to practice the process.
I think you will like it. Application is a bit different than some finishes. First coat dilute 50/50 with mineral spirits and soak on as much as it will take let it sit for an hour or so and wipe down well. Let dry for a couple of days and hang in sunshine if available. Rest of coats are thin let sit for an hour and wipe down as if polishing with a microfiber cloth and let dry again sunshine really speeds thing up. I put 10 coats on my last rifle and it is the most awesome oil finish I have ever used.

I think you will like it. Application is a bit different than some finishes. First coat dilute 50/50 with mineral spirits and soak on as much as it will take let it sit for an hour or so and wipe down well. Let dry for a couple of days and hang in sunshine if available. Rest of coats are thin let sit for an hour and wipe down as if polishing with a microfiber cloth and let dry again sunshine really speeds thing up. I put 10 coats on my last rifle and it is the most awesome oil finish I have ever used.
Thank you denster!

You will certainly like your Kibler SMR. I have a 45 and a 36 and really like them both. The 45 is great for hunting deer sized game because it is light to carry all day and shoots great. The 36 is my squirrel gun and also the one I pick up when I am going on a trail walk, shooting at paper, or just plinking. I like the little extra weight because it is easier for me to hold it steady if there is a breeze. Good luck and have fun with the build and in shooting.

I ordered a SMR in .45 and a Colonial in .50. Mine probably won't arrive until May. For you guys that built at SMR, what did you finish the barrel with? In the video it appears that he used something that gave the barrel a more used (or slightly blued look rather than brown) which is the look I'd like for this rifle. Is this the "browning" liquid he sells at the site?

A dumb question... When you put the gun outside, do you occasionally go out and turn it?

qz,
He's using 'patina solution'. Was on his site for purchase. I didn't see it yesterday. I think brass blackening solution is the same thing.

I ordered my SMR kit in .45 with an upgraded "Fancy" maple stock in early December. I just got an email today telling me they are ready to ship it! Below is one of Jim's finished guns. This is the finish I want. I will be using Tannic Acid and Iron Nitrate with some darkened areas using bone black and several coats of Tried and True Oil. I just received my Bean SMR patch box from TOTW today. I'll be using the same chemical Jim uses "Historic Houseparts brass darkening solution" to create a French Grey rubbed back. I also ordered some pewter inlets from Track. If I get the courage up I'll add some of those.

View attachment 67206
Do keep us posted on your build!

I ordered a SMR in .45 and a Colonial in .50. Mine probably won't arrive until May. For you guys that built at SMR, what did you finish the barrel with? In the video it appears that he used something that gave the barrel a more used (or slightly blued look rather than brown) which is the look I'd like for this rifle. Is this the "browning" liquid he sells at the site?
@qz2026_1 this is what he uses for a French grey finish. I ordered some and tested it on some metal for a pistol I'm refinishing.

IMG_20210302_211334.jpg

https://www.historichouseparts.com/brass-darkening-solution-32-oz-.html

Back