• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfritz44

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've decided to let my father's inherited CVA PA long rifle as is and not attempt to refinish it. It's a walnut stock, wouldn't be what I want to carry in the woods, and I don't want to chance screwing up a piece that was my dad's favorite.

Instead I've really taken a liking to the SMR rifles on extra curley maple, except there's one problem. I only see kits or finished guns in a maximum of 45 caliber and I really want at least a 50 for hunting purposes.

I know a 45 will do the job, as well a 36 if the deer is hit properly. However given my personal experiences with a 45 I really want the extra hitting power a 50 brings, especially with the option to use even heavier conicals.

Anyone see kits fur SMR's in 50 caliber, or know if Kibler offers a custom 50 SMR option?

Fred

Kibler does not offer a .50 version. There's just not enough wood there to handle a .50 charge without eventually breaking or cracking. I'm not aware of any other SMRs offered as a .50, but others might know of one. You generally go more to a Kentucky/Pennsylvania style that has a little extra bulk to handle .50 or larger. Or go with an older style rifle like the Woodsrunner.

I've decided to let my father's inherited CVA PA long rifle as is and not attempt to refinish it. It's a walnut stock, wouldn't be what I want to carry in the woods, and I don't want to chance screwing up a piece that was my dad's favorite.

Instead I've really taken a liking to the SMR rifles on extra curley maple, except there's one problem. I only see kits or finished guns in a maximum of 45 caliber and I really want at least a 50 for hunting purposes.

I know a 45 will do the job, as well a 36 if the deer is hit properly. However given my personal experiences with a 45 I really want the extra hitting power a 50 brings, especially with the option to use even heavier conicals.

Anyone see kits fur SMR's in 50 caliber, or know if Kibler offers a custom 50 SMR option?

Fred
Get with @ColonialRifleSmith he's made me a few guns now. I highly recommend him. He can make one for ya and it can be as fancy or plain as you want.

Something like this? I know several people that build them in most any caliber you want.

Attachments

• DSCN2366.JPG
    DSCN2366.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Yes, that's the style I'd like to get for hunting in a 50 or bigger, preferably a kit with extra curly maple stock.

Unfortunately, any Southern mountain rifle kit that comes with a .50 caliber barrel is going to come with a straight barrel... which is not going to have the balancing and handling characteristics that a gun with a swamped barrel will have.

Fred
Go with the Woods Runner ,easier loading for shorter guys /well balanced and practical for woods running , I kept tripping over my SMR (not really)and up to 54 in caliber ! /Ed

I think Getz made a few 13/16" barrels in .50, mighty thin walled.

Perhaps if you had one made with modern gun steel it might be safe, I don't have the knowledge to say for sure. Green mountain uses 1137 steel but I don't know how that stacks up against what Rice uses. You would have to have it custom-made.

You could make a Bogle rifle with a swamped barrel in .50 or.54. I would use a B weight barrel in .50

This is the current Joe Bogle holding his 5th great grandfather's gun.

joeandtheboglerifle.jpg

My favorite design lately has been a Haines with a 38" barrel, I made one in .54 with a C weight barrel, it is a joy to carry and balances perfectly.

I have a 7/8" straight barreled .45, it feels like a telephone pole of a barrel it is so heavy.

Here are two of the guns I've built. The first is my personal gun; and the second went somewhere else to live and work. On both I used a .50 caliber B weight swamped barrel, 44" long. The barrels are 1" at the breech, which allows for a nice slender rifle with good lines. The weight of each is just over seven pounds. And the guns balance right at the fore-stock transition. My gun "Miss Sally" is an absolute pleasure to carry in the field.

I'm working on a nice little .40 now. When that's done, I have other commitments for a while. But for a future gun I have a Rice Southern Classic barrel. It's 15/16 at the breech, .50 caliber, 44" long. And swamped of course. It will make a beautiful, slender gun.

So you can have the gun you want, but probably not from a kit. If you're patient and handy, I would suggest building from a blank. Or you could get a nice blank and have someone inlet the barrel and ramrod channel/hole for you... and take it from there. I love the Southern Mountain rifles... obviously.

Good luck on your journey!

Attachments

• 20191213_143541 2.jpg
    20191213_143541 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 10 1.jpg
    10 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I built this one in .50 in the early 80s. It weighs 7.5# and I used to shoot it offhand all the time. It was very easy to shoot offhand.
.50 southern mountain rifle.JPG

FWIW: I have a fine older .50, 38"straight-barrelled SMR, made by J.Garner. It is distinctly muzzle heavy, which took a bit to get used to, but weighs only 7# 5oz.
I'm an old fart, but it's not heavy enough to be a problem carrying through the woods.

The muzzle weight can make snap shots a bit more awkward but I've found that, if I use the across-the-chest stance, that weight gives the rifle a useful "hang".

Since I'm accustomed to still-hunting, which can move slow enough to pass for mime, bringing it up to aim is usually as slow and deliberate.

Good luck. Plan your choice well. If possible, handle and shoulder an example of what you are considering.

Fantastic looking guns gentlemen and I'm envious! Balance is important to me and anyone who's hunted from the ground with a flintlock should have known better, and I mean me!

I didn't think a 50 would have been so much heavier, but this might make me rethink my requirements.

Any of you 45 caliber SMR hunters use hollow bottom minies accurately with good kill results? In the end i want the ability to hit a deer marginally and still get a good blood trail primarily, using a beautiful gun secondarily.

Fred

Fantastic looking guns gentlemen and I'm envious! Balance is important to me and anyone who's hunted from the ground with a flintlock should have known better, and I mean me!

I didn't think a 50 would have been so much heavier, but this might make me rethink my requirements.

Any of you 45 caliber SMR hunters use hollow bottom minies accurately with good kill results? In the end i want the ability to hit a deer marginally and still get a good blood trail primarily, using a beautiful gun secondarily.

Fred
Nope I use 45 rb with 70 grains 3f and keep my range to 75 yards (which is a long shot where I hunt) never had a deer get away yet when a shot was taken. If you want lighter you can go swamped or up to a 54 cal - bigger hole equals less steel = less weight if same diameter barrel is used. My 54 has a 36" 15/16" barrel and it balances well and fast to swing in woods.

Next question.....I didn't see the twist rate of the Kibler 45 caliber SMR barrel on their site.

Anyone know the twist rate and if it's theoretically tight enough to throw minies accurately?

So in agreement with the Greenville Formula I just learned about the barrel is logically configured to shoot 45 caliber round balls, and if it was set up to shoot minies the ideal twist would be 1:33.

Back