• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Ships SMR Fast!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I did a poor job of expressing my opinion. Kibler longrifles are custom in that they are his own designs based on specific historical arms. The fact that they are machine made kits with minimal hand fitting and finishing done and are mass produced doesn't mean that each one isn't an example of a custom builder's work. It's just a matter of perspective I guess. Not that different from anyone else's hand made, unique, truly custom, one-off build in my mind.

"This is MY rifle. There are many like it, but THIS one is MINE...."

I think you would be very hard pressed to find a custom flintlock that meets the quality of a Kibler It's up to the buyer to make it a custom longrifle. Jim simply makes the canvas for us.
Jim Kibler has done much for the muzzleloading community, but his cnc machined kits are NOT CUSTOM MADE RIFLES. They are all the same from kit to kit. No good builder builds exactly the same rifle each time.

Jim Kibler has done much for the muzzleloading community, but his cnc machined kits are NOT CUSTOM MADE RIFLES. They are all the same from kit to kit. No good builder builds exactly the same rifle each time.
Your right that's why he makes an SMR and Woodsrunner..lol 🤪

Looking at it from the perspective of building rifles since 1980 or so, Jim Kibler's kits fill a niche that was missing when I started. I did build a nice Hawken rifle with an Ithaca kit but outside of that there weren't many quality kits around so I started building scratch rifles. They weren't kits so I guess you could call them custom rifles. I just wish Jim had been producing kits back then as they offer the average gun tinkerer a chance to produce a very fine quality rifle. I've never built one but I'm impressed with what I see.

Your right that's why he makes an SMR and Woodsrunner..lol 🤪
All the SMR's are the same except caliber differences, same with the Woodsrunner. All the Woodsrunners are just like the last Woodsrunner to come off the assembly line. Same with the Colonials. Each Colonial is the same as the last.

The beauty of the long rifle is it's lines, curves, proportions and how they flow together. The Kibler SMR (the only Kibler I am familiar with) captures this beauty, making it a joy to shoot, own and admire. A custom builder that fails to meet these essential criteria will have created a "one of a kind", but not a rifle worth a custom price regardless of carving or inlays. You know what you're getting with a Kibler.

A8A63FF6-48A9-451C-8171-8270153B4DF2.jpeg

That would make Mr. Kibler an Artisan and a Craftsman.

And the rifles Mr. Kibler created from scratch would be considered custom guns.

The kit guns assembled by his customers in a few days are not custom guns.

To believe otherwise is silly.
I feel you are harsh on those starting out. The fact remains that for a first time a Kibler rifle IS a custom project.

I had the privilege of spending a couple days socially getting to know Kyle Lamb, if that name rings a bell.

He absolutely lite up when I mentioned my rock lock fetish. He bought a Kibler SMR and put it together and has literally fallen into the deep end of the pool. Was talking about his next rifle and that he wanted to get a forge to try to make a knife and a hawk.

He had never put flint to steel before or burned black powder in his life…but he was drawn in by the allure of a quality rifle that he felt he could build himself.

How many of you started on a CVA kit? Well, Kibler is todays gateway drug into our sport and hobby.

If you are holding a chisel or a file and think he is taking money out of your pocket…you are a fool.

I was stunned to get a "ready to ship" notice from Kibler Long Rifles this morning for my SMR kit. It was ordered on Saturday evening, June 24, so that's an elapsed time of five business days - well under the two to three weeks as stated on the website. Wow!! I'm extremely impressed.
I placed an order for one a few days before you and waiting to get that shipping notification.

After building my first Kibler SMR 36 cal, cherry stock. With (a lot)of help from Wayne Trout my instructor at Bowling Green Ky.
It was a wonderful build!

Now having said that I was able to see the rest of the class build Woodsrunners and Colonials, very impressed with all of the kits.

I am now home in Alaska getting ready to attack another kit. Its based on a Virginia 54 cal, it is a kit from a different outfit. Big!!!! Difference in kit quality. It will definitely challenge me on building up more skills. But I need the challenge!

I will definitely build more of the Kibler SMR. My goal is a 40 cal in walnut and a 45 cal in fancy maple or ash. I am sticking with the SMR because I can't stand brass!!🤣🤣🤣

What people need to understand is the fact. That in the old days they used every bit of technology that they had. No different than what Kibler is doing now.
Why do you think there was the industrial revolution..?
There's always a better way to do things and that's what puts Jim Kibler ahead of the rest.

"How many of you started on a CVA kit? Well, Kibler is todays gateway drug into our sport and hobby.

If you are holding a chisel or a file and think he is taking money out of your pocket…you are a fool."

I just received my Woodsrunner 54. Its my first flinter. Yes it shipped fast. I've been around machine shops both manual and automate. You can believe that getting a CNC to carve that 50 odd inch wood stock to practically perfect is near Heroic skill level. If that product was aimed at a any one other than hobbyist kit assemblers it would not be "affordable". Period.

With quality comes price. You pay for what you get. If you were to have a rifle built to the quality of Jim's kits. You would be paying several hundred dollars more. But know one is forcing you to buy anything. You want a custom go for it or do it yourself. Your call.
That's what makes this hobby so much fun. I've done a CVA kits, Traditions, T.C. and other's. Plus built guns from scratch.
Kiblers kits are like Secretariat running the Belmont. So far ahead of the competition and not slowing down...JM2C

Good luck 'assembling' it. I really hope you are up to the task.
I was and they call me mitts (it's true) and come time to sell (top dollar) and quik too! Task it ain't , just easy and several times I had a question Jim answered along with replacing (NO CHARGE) a part I messed up ! I think you've never had the pleasure of dealing with the Kibler folks , not at all cranky like you!!!/Ed

Latest posts

Back