• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Kit is shipping!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet-Jack

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered my SMR kit in .45 with an upgraded "Fancy" maple stock in early December. I just got an email today telling me they are ready to ship it! Below is one of Jim's finished guns. This is the finish I want. I will be using Tannic Acid and Iron Nitrate with some darkened areas using bone black and several coats of Tried and True Oil. I just received my Bean SMR patch box from TOTW today. I'll be using the same chemical Jim uses "Historic Houseparts brass darkening solution" to create a French Grey rubbed back. I also ordered some pewter inlets from Track. If I get the courage up I'll add some of those.

1614886477846.png

Out of curiosity, what made you choose .45 calibre?
A few things. The SMR comes in 32, 36, 40 and 45 caliber. The weights are 7 lb 6 oz in 32 caliber, 7 lb 3 oz in 36 caliber, slightly under 7 lbs in 40 caliber and 6 lb 10 oz in 45 caliber. I chose the .45 for it's light weight. I want a rifle I can shoot all day at a competition shoot. The other reason: A .45 is a nice all around caliber for target, Deer and small game hunting. Other reasons are I already own a couple of .50s one Flintlock and one Percussion cap.

I ordered my SMR kit in .45 with an upgraded "Fancy" maple stock in early December. I just got an email today telling me they are ready to ship it! Below is one of Jim's finished guns. This is the finish I want. I will be using Tannic Acid and Iron Nitrate with some darkened areas using bone black and several coats of Tried and True Oil. I just received my Bean SMR patch box from TOTW today. I'll be using the same chemical Jim uses "Historic Houseparts brass darkening solution" to create a French Grey rubbed back. I also ordered some pewter inlets from Track. If I get the courage up I'll add some of those.

View attachment 67206
Have you used the tried and true oil varnish before?

You're going to love every minute of work you put in to it. I remember when I got my .36 SMR kit. I popped the last screw off the box and stood there and stared for a few minutes. It was similar to Ralphie's Dad opening his leg lamp in The Christmas Story. It's the most money I have spent on a gun, and been totally satisfied. Enjoy your build!

You're going to love every minute of work you put in to it. I remember when I got my .36 SMR kit. I popped the last screw off the box and stood there and stared for a few minutes. It was similar to Ralphie's Dad opening his leg lamp in The Christmas Story. It's the most money I have spent on a gun, and been totally satisfied. Enjoy your build!
Thank you sir! And I think the crate it comes is marked Fragile pronounced in Italian Frahjilay!

Back