• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rudyard Per our author agreement any article rights revert back to the author one year after publishing. So the article is yours. That being said I don't plan to republish articles wether they have appeared in MUZZLELOADER or any other publication. I am only interested in previously unpublished manuscripts.

Regarding length, length should be between 1500 and 5000 words with 2500-3000 being ideal for single part articles.

I am very picky regarding the photos. The upgrade in paper and full color was not inexpensive and I like to make full use of it. Publishing bad photos not only makes MUZZLELOADER look bad, it reflects poorly on the author as well.

If you would like to discuss other article ideas please feel free to email me as I am always looking for articles but prefer to keep any magazine related business to email for my records (versus have to check numerous forums or social media sites).
Thank you,
Jason W. Gatliff
MUZZLELOADER magazine

Thank you for the prompt response . I just suggest you read the article to gauge what I can write. Agree nice pics desirable but not allways available . I will correspond via E mail Regards Rudyard

I have been a subscriber for years, and I have bought a bunch of back issues from before my subscription started. Layout, photography, and editorial quality in Muzzleloader are way ahead of any competition. It is different now, since it changed hands, and I will say I miss the Rex Norman articles, but it is still the best black powder periodical out there. I particularly like Mike Nesbitt's shooting articles, the T.C. Albert "how-to" column, and the regular artisan's showcase. Several people mentioned wanting articles about hunting, and I think they do have a regular hunting column now, which I nearly always read. Frankly, I find some of the serialized, multi-issue articles on obscure historical topics to be a little tedious, and I seldom read them. However, there is enough other content to hold my attention and make the magazine well worth the subscription price. Jason does a great job! :thumb:

Notchy Bob

Layout, photography, and editorial quality in Muzzleloader are way ahead of any competition...

I will say I miss the Rex Norman articles...

Jason does a great job! :thumb:

Notchy Bob

Thank you for the kind words! I miss Rex’s articles also, unfortunately he has moved on to other things, I don’t even think he is involved in Fur Trade living history any longer. If I could find someone to fill a similar role I would add them to the roster immediately!
Jason W. Gatliff
MUZZLELOADER magazine

OK Read Dec 1995 see what you think .May I suggest .
Rudyard

I have read it. It’s OK. I think if you want to further discuss this possibility of you writing for MUZZLELOADER that we should continue the conversation via email.
Thank you,
Jason W. Gatliff
MUZZLELOADER magazine

I just rec'd the years 2016-2019. I love them. I love the photos of the guns in every issue as well as the articles. I will be subscribing and looking to buy all the issues prior to 2016.

Thanks R.H. A postal money order is in the mail.
I have many issues from 1976 - 1980 and from 1986-1990. Let me know if you are interested

There are hunting stories each issue. I wrote "A Diamond Mountain Mulle Deer Hunt in Utah" (editor's misspelling!) in the July/August 2015 issue. Parts of that story are in the Hunting Journal on this forum, September 28, 2014. I also wrote "A Utah Pronghorn Hunt" in the November/December 2019 issue. Some of that is in the Hunting Journal October 29, 2017.

I like ML magazine and will continue to support it with my subscription.
I also like MB magazine and will continue to support it as it’s where most cut their teeth.. I enjoy the variety of all ML - as should we all.

I have been getting Muzzleloader for maybe 10 years, off and on for 25. One thing I do is after I get all 6 copies for a year, I carefully cut the cover off and frame them. The same way people do with the covers of old Saturday Evening Post by Norman Rockwell. The only problem is I'm running out of wall space.

I go into Barnes and Noble every other month and get a Muzzle Loader magazine. I don't go into that liberal morass other than that. If I want books I buy them on the computer.

Prior to Jason purchasing MLM, I occasionally purchased one off the shelf, but did not subscribe because I thought the visual quality of the magazine was sub-standard. I guess I like high-quality imagery in a magazine. Once Jason took ownership and upped the visual quality by magnitudes and also kept the article quality top notch I subscribed and have no plans to stop.

I can read hunting stories all over the place, so the fact that there is generally only one hunting story per issue (and my main focus in the sport is hunting) doesn't bother me a bit because the historical articles are so good, which I cannot easily find everywhere. I love reading the snippets of original documentation in the articles. The series of articles on Sir Francis Drake were so good I couldn't put them down, but there have been many other topics running over several issues that have been like that. I can tell a lot of effort has gone into getting more information on the history west of the Mississippi included, which was something many had suggested in the letters to the editor. Voices from the east and west are nice little adders.

Jason...I wouldn't change much of anything! Keep up the great work.

Latest posts

Back