• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good time to join the NMLRA!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your efforts.

I knew when I read the title there was going to be a lot nah, nah, nah coming forth with.

For those who say I am not goin to Friendship, how many NRA members' go to the NRA Range and compete in New Mexico? Enough said
Damn good point. I am an NRA Benefactor member for many years, and ILA and the Mrs. is an Endowment member.
I have only been to one function, and that was in back in the 90`s Reno Nevada.
Fortunately,
only 130 miles one way.
I am still a supporter,
however.

Buzz P.S I do not believe any arms are being twisted. Just opinions and bloviating.

Just opinions and bloviating

As for the NRA, of course they are a strong voice, but they do not have the expertise and commitment in the black powder arena that the NMLRA does. There are several good organizations out there that have their finger on the pulse of muzzleloading, but only one of them tries to do so much with so little: the NMLRA. It deserves the support of everyone who is serious about muzzleloading.
To set the record straight, membership is not $60 as someone said earlier; annual membership with a printed magazine is $50, but if you want to save some money you can sign up for the digital version of Muzzle Blasts.
Why does the NMLRA deserve the support of anyone, when in so many cases they have deliberately excluded so many people, and antagonized so many more? That's a serious question, and if you want the membership to grow, that is the question that needs to be answered. It isn't being answered by gaslighting from the "Friendship Mafia" and their friends, or the brainwashed parroting the party line. Substantive answers to why anyone should support an organization are part of what is necessary if the organization is going to survive, let alone thrive.

Oh, and by the way Mr. Bye, my membership last year cost $85: the $50 I sent in for a membership and magazine (check was cashed, but no membership etc was received--not for the first time) and the $35 I sent in later for a membership and online magazine.

The NMLRA does what it can to support muzzloading. The reason the organization reached out to the inline people was an effort to increase the membership with hopes that once they were exposed to what muzzleloading has to offer, that they would diversify their interest in the sport.
How's that working out? As I recall, the organization has lost half the members since they started promoting inlines. (It probably wasn't helped by an editor who told folks that if they didn't like all the inline coverage and ads they should leave. . . .)

I hate to admit, if it was not for going to Friendship to shoot, I would have quit a long time ago. I enjoy visiting with the friends on the pistol line I have made over the years.
So why should someone who is not going to go to Friendship join? That question gets asked over and over, we always get the same answers, but they don't really answer the question.

NMLRA is awesome, I line about an 1.5 hr away and enjoy the grounds, enjoy the shoots and enjoy having BP to buy. They put on some great classes and I have met some great people there. Like with every group someone is going to be unhappy, but for me it’s a tremendous asset.
Mr. Cooper, I'm happy for you. I'm glad you have a (reasonably close) range where you can enjoy the grounds and participate in the matches, and the classes, and just enjoy being a member. But why--other than to subsidize the fun of people like you, who do derive that benefit--should anyone who can't or won't go there be a member?

With the frequent bashing of the NMLRA, would you post here if you were the President of the NMLRA?
As an NMLRA member (well, they got my money again, don't know if I'm going to get membership or get ripped off again, but for now I'll assume I'm a member) I expect the officers--people who have sought to govern the organization and represent the membership--to take an active role recruiting on what is perhaps the most-effective recruitment opportunity available, even if it is uncomfortable. If the officers aren't doing that, well, it sorta suggests they don't want to do their job.

Snapper has admitted to being an NMLRA officer and participates here, and from time to time even tries to answer questions from the unwashed and uncouth folks like me who are perpetually perturbed with the Friendship Mafia.

A little food for thought for the folks spouting the "when the NMLRA dies, the sport will die" nonsense. I went to a shoot last fall. I don't know if the match was advertised or if it was just word-of-mouth, but I never saw an ad. Of the >70 registered adult shooters, the average age was just over 31; we also had almost 50 registered juniors. If everyone told the truth on the entry form, there were 6 NMLRA members competing, with an average age of >66 (ha! I was the youngest!).

Oh, and by the way Mr. Bye, my membership last year cost $85: the $50 I sent in for a membership and magazine (check was cashed, but no membership etc was received--not for the first time) and the $35 I sent in later for a membership and online magazine.

I am going to say your original payment of $50 was applied as either a june or september shoot fee to attend the matches as you were an active member at the time. As you indicated you have been to friendship and shot matches as well.

Such bitterness and hatred and yet you take advantage of the facilities. Those of us out in other states need help in growing our clubs. How many PAID employees does the NMLRA have excluding groundskeeping? The average age of the membership is over 75 years old. The office staff can only do so much and they work hard. The rest of the organization is made up of volunteers.

I love Muzzleblasts, I join the NMLRA every time I have the funds to renew. I’m currently working through a 3 year membership.

I don’t build guns (can’t afford to), but I enjoy reading about it. I’d love to shoot competitively again but again I cannot afford to. I skip those articles because it hurts to much.

living on $1000 a month in an area where a studio apartment costs $2400 a month really shortens your list of thing you can do. So I have to be very picky where to put my $$$, the NMLRA to me is worth every penny.

How's that working out? As I recall, the organization has lost half the members since they started promoting inlines. (It probably wasn't helped by an editor who told folks that if they didn't like all the inline coverage and ads they should leave. .

Excellent post Mr. LongWalker. I agree with all your points. I got nothing out of the organization, but allowing in those despicable (foul word omitted here) were allowed to join - well that was the last straw for me.

I agree with the OP..
Good time to join the NMLRA, the oldest ML Organization in our country (1933) - established by shooters. They also host the oldest Rendezvous..
Many if not all subsequent groups have spun off as more ‘specific’ facets of Muzzleloading- the NMLRA seems to have it all. That’s why it’s so wonderful to see nearly 1000 muzzleloading enthusiast/friends each year.
Look at the world around us and then look at those with specific complaints - lol..you’re part of the problem, move on.
Off the top of my head, I see these things offered:
Monthly Muzzle Blast Magazine
Western KY Gunsmith Seminars (since 1982)
LongHuhter Society (1988)
Territorial’s in many states
Annual Scholarships for youth
Additional Educational Opportunities such as Horn Making, Bag Making, Knife Making, Gun building…
See you at Friendship !

0FB8A1C4-7C83-443D-A5FE-1ED693AB3855.jpeg

Without the NMLRA it is likely that many of our mail order suppliers would shrink inventory or cease to exist. There are a lot of threads on this site that talk about Kibler, Colerain et. al. that would lose visibility and possibly revenue without the NMLRA advertising forum. We all benefit from as many windows into the sport as possible.

I am going to say your original payment of $50 was applied as either a june or september shoot fee to attend the matches as you were an active member at the time. As you indicated you have been to friendship and shot matches as well.
I never said or implied in any way that that I had attended the matches at Friendship this year. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever shot matches there. The last year I recall attending was one of the years I was in a wheelchair, and the friendly man at the gate made it perfectly clear that folks with problems such as I was having at the time, or with skin the color of my traveling buddy, were not welcome there.

The shoot I mentioned took place in Nebraska, more than 1,000 miles from Friendship--without any help from the NMLRA.

Such bitterness and hatred and yet you take advantage of the facilities. Those of us out in other states need help in growing our clubs. How many PAID employees does the NMLRA have excluding groundskeeping? The average age of the membership is over 75 years old. The office staff can only do so much and they work hard. The rest of the organization is made up of volunteers.
Which facilities have I supposedly taken advantage of? The parking lot, for less than an hour, more than a decade ago? I can't see any reason to go there; I am IN one of those other states, and out here we've never seen any support coming from the NMLRA for the local clubs. To the contrary, most of the interactions with Friendship are them wanting our support for some project at Friendship.

How the heck would I know how many paid employees the NMLRA has--when I asked I was told it was none of my business (and I was a member at the time). The fact that the membership is aging and increasingly out of touch with the ML shooters outside their little coterie is exactly my point. Unless the NMLRA changes, in another 20 years it will be nothing more than a local club with a pretentious name. The funny thing is that changes would be beneficial for all members, they just aren't wanted by the BOD and Friendship locals.

I never said or implied in any way that that I had attended the matches at Friendship this year. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever shot matches there. The last year I recall attending was one of the years I was in a wheelchair, and the friendly man at the gate made it perfectly clear that folks with problems such as I was having at the time, or with skin the color of my traveling buddy, were not welcome there.

The shoot I mentioned took place in Nebraska, more than 1,000 miles from Friendship--without any help from the NMLRA.

Which facilities have I supposedly taken advantage of? The parking lot, for less than an hour, more than a decade ago? I can't see any reason to go there; I am IN one of those other states, and out here we've never seen any support coming from the NMLRA for the local clubs. To the contrary, most of the interactions with Friendship are them wanting our support for some project at Friendship.

How the heck would I know how many paid employees the NMLRA has--when I asked I was told it was none of my business (and I was a member at the time). The fact that the membership is aging and increasingly out of touch with the ML shooters outside their little coterie is exactly my point. Unless the NMLRA changes, in another 20 years it will be nothing more than a local club with a pretentious name. The funny thing is that changes would be beneficial for all members, they just aren't wanted by the BOD and Friendship locals.
Man at the gate again.expect local good ole boy, knew I didn't like him some suggested he had too much cash. if of that I cant say by now he would be very old & crabbier . Rudyard

I’m not sure what to think reading this, I’m 32 and love traditional muzzle loaders, and I fit in no where. I’m just going to continue to collect the things I enjoy and avoid the rendezvous and the organizations. The sport and history of traditional firearms is great by itself but the people that can’t get along seem to take away from it.

Maybe we can remember it’s Christmas and be grateful for a short time and just pretend to get along.

I have been a member for over 20 years. To get to Friendship it is a 900-mile trip. My wife and I made it out there this year with our camper. I would enjoy the primitive camping but with my wife's oxygen machine and c-pap we need to have electricity. She had no problem going anywhere with her electric scooter which also needed electricity to recharge. The cost of this outing with gas at nearly $5.00 a gallon prevents us from going every year, so we can only make it every two or three years. But it is good to know that it is there to enjoy. Not just the shooting but the friends, new and old.
I have hosted club ML shoots for over 25 years and territorial for 20. I was glad that in-lines were allowed to participate. What I have found out in the last 25 years is that people get an inline to extend their hunting season and only shoot 1-3 times a year for sight in. When I allowed them to participate, they had a good time and when seeing all the fun of other types of ignitions they would get a cap lock, and some went from there to flint lock. If they were not allowed to join in, we would never have gained those new shooters.
NMLRA has the same problem as any other organization. Not enough people stepping up to volunteer. My mother always said, "Don't complain unless you are willing to step up and do something". If everyone complaining would volunteer it would help things run smoother and keep those who are stepping up from getting burned out.

I have been a member for over 20 years. To get to Friendship it is a 900-mile trip. My wife and I made it out there this year with our camper. I would enjoy the primitive camping but with my wife's oxygen machine and c-pap we need to have electricity. She had no problem going anywhere with her electric scooter which also needed electricity to recharge. The cost of this outing with gas at nearly $5.00 a gallon prevents us from going every year, so we can only make it every two or three years. But it is good to know that it is there to enjoy. Not just the shooting but the friends, new and old.
I have hosted club ML shoots for over 25 years and territorial for 20. I was glad that in-lines were allowed to participate. What I have found out in the last 25 years is that people get an inline to extend their hunting season and only shoot 1-3 times a year for sight in. When I allowed them to participate, they had a good time and when seeing all the fun of other types of ignitions they would get a cap lock, and some went from there to flint lock. If they were not allowed to join in, we would never have gained those new shooters.
NMLRA has the same problem as any other organization. Not enough people stepping up to volunteer. My mother always said, "Don't complain unless you are willing to step up and do something". If everyone complaining would volunteer it would help things run smoother and keep those who are stepping up from getting burned out.
Well said Smoke_Ring.

Smoke Ring

Were you the ones we help with recharging the scooter behind the cabin?

We have made quite a few changes to facilitates and accessibility to the ranges in the past year. The trap range has been completely rebuilt and handicap accessible. The woods walk has also been completely rebuilt and much more accessible.

A new ADA compliant bathroom should be done by June 01.

Fleener

There is this fabulous new device invented by Mr. Bell... You can actually call and talk to people, like in person. A MIRACLE! Every time I've ever called there, they were nice and helpful.

If you sent money and didn't get what you paid for, WHY would you send MORE without just calling and getting it straightened out? Or maybe you forgot the first check? Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:
There is this fabulous new device invented by Mr. Bell... You can actually call and talk to people, like in person. A MIRACLE! Every time I've ever called there, they were nice and helpful.

If you sent money and didn't get what you paid for, WHY would you send MORE without just calling and getting it straightened out? Or maybe you forgot the first check? Something doesn't add up
If (like me) you can't hear, "just calling" isn't an option. I tried calling a couple times via the modern version of the TTY and been hung up on every time (I'm guessing whoever answered thought it was a robocall). I followed the procedure recommended several years ago by one of the then-officers of the NMLRA: I mailed a note explaining the problem along with a copy of the cancelled check. I did this several times over the course of several months. Somewhere on my desk I even have paperwork showing the last one was delivered and signed for.

What "doesn't add up" is the lack of response, but why blame me for that?

Latest posts

Back