• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good time to join the NMLRA!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive joined off and on..WHATS the benefit? I get a magazine thats about building guns which i dont do.Then theres something about history of yesteryear about something i couldnt care about.5 pages of Scores from there shooting in indiana that iam never doing.All i get is something i dont need is a card to shoot at the territorials which my NRA membership already covers.I DONT EVER see anything about hunting mayby 2 articles a year or NOTHING about the states territorials or scores..all for 60.00 a year..ill pass
Unfortunately, I agree with you.

I recently rejoined after 10 years of not. Magazine stunk for all the reasons you stated.

I joined recently as I was told I needed to be a member in order to become a legitimate RO. I am not sure that is really the truth but I joined anyway. I do kinda enjoy the magazine but as noted already most of the content is of little interest to me. I also note that the same, somewhat reworked, article appeared in both Muzzle Blasts and Muzzleloader magazines a few months apart...................

Writers/authors really only have two magazines in which to submit articles for publication.

Will admit the same things in the same order are published each month in Muzzle Blasts. I read the entire magazine in 30 minutes. Idiot who writes the back page tells everyone, now for 7 years, each month that he has retired!

I hate to admit, if it was not for going to Friendship to shoot, I would have quit a long time ago. I enjoy visiting with the friends on the pistol line I have made over the years.

Seems there is a lot of infighting and politics in the BOD and the same folks rotate in and out on the Board.

As pointed out, this subject has been beat to death over the years, should be term limitations on it.

I think the problems with the magazine could be that it has published for such a long period of time that the majority of muzzle loading topics have been covered. The earlier years had most of the things that you want to read about, but the publishers can't keep rehashing old topics. I too would like to see a wider variety of topics in the magazine but I don't have anything interesting to write about that hasn't been done before.

The NMLRA does not have a lobbying presence in Washington, in large part because it does not have the money to support such activities. But on at least two occasions the Association sent representatives (then-presidents Jim Fulmer and Becky Waterman) to testify at the United Nations on some ill-considered international small arms treaties.
As for the NRA, of course they are a strong voice, but they do not have the expertise and commitment in the black powder arena that the NMLRA does. There are several good organizations out there that have their finger on the pulse of muzzleloading, but only one of them tries to do so much with so little: the NMLRA. It deserves the support of everyone who is serious about muzzleloading.
To set the record straight, membership is not $60 as someone said earlier; annual membership with a printed magazine is $50, but if you want to save some money you can sign up for the digital version of Muzzle Blasts.

Thanks for your in put.

For those who want to know about flintlocks, you need to buy Erics' book. His and Ned Robert's book should be required reading.

Ive joined off and on..WHATS the benefit? I get a magazine thats about building guns which i dont do.Then theres something about history of yesteryear about something i couldnt care about.5 pages of Scores from there shooting in indiana that iam never doing.All i get is something i dont need is a card to shoot at the territorials which my NRA membership already covers.I DONT EVER see anything about hunting mayby 2 articles a year or NOTHING about the states territorials or scores..all for 60.00 a year..ill pass
Digital Memberships are only $35 a year and there is always pictures of dead things shot, cooking recipes, charter club news, websites pertaining to muzzleloading, and so much more! And if you don't see what you like - you can always submit articles!
We need to support this Association which helps preserve our heritage!

Digital Memberships are only $35 a year and there is always pictures of dead things shot, cooking recipes, charter club news, websites pertaining to muzzleloading, and so much more! And if you don't see what you like - you can always submit articles!
We need to support this Association which helps preserve our heritage!
How do they preserve our heritage? What do they do to promote muzzleloading to the public? Are they involved in schools? Or with Scouts?

How do they preserve our heritage? What do they do to promote muzzleloading to the public? Are they involved in schools? Or with Scouts?
I was a member for years but when the inline season cheaters came in & welcomed. I gave it up . I did 17 or more Easterns ,N Easterns, Mid & even a Western one on the Flathead plus heaps of Friendship shoots . Just find modern rubbish offensive ( Ime so traditional I rather scorn cap locks '!) Huge snob I know but that's how i see it . Rudyard

I was a member for years but when the inline season cheaters came in & welcomed. I gave it up . I did 17 or more Easterns ,N Easterns, Mid & even a Western one on the Flathead plus heaps of Friendship shoots . Just find modern rubbish offensive ( Ime so traditional I rather scorn cap locks '!) Huge snob I know but that's how i see it . Rudyard
No organization is perfect. Most local clubs operate with just a few of the members doing all the work. It's the same with the national organizations. The NMLRA does what it can to support muzzloading. The reason the organization reached out to the inline people was an effort to increase the membership with hopes that once they were exposed to what muzzleloading has to offer, that they would diversify their interest in the sport. I've been a member for a lot of years. I've seen changes that I considered good and bad, but I'm still a member. When these national organizations die the sport will die. To disagree with earlier comments,they the magazine does post the territorial scores as well as articles about hunting. If you read this forum, there are many questions about hardening frizzens and flintlock tuning. This month's MUZZLE BLASTS has a great article on flintlock faults and fixes including how to re-harden frizzens. It also contains.articles.on flint knapping and an article on deer hunting. It's easy to criticize, but ask the question how many have stepped up to help improve the sport? Nothing in this world is perfect. Just my two cents.

I too think inlines are cheating. If they are kept in their own class with a different target array to prevent mixing targets ( cheating) let them play. Use them as the 22rimfire is used in bringing others in.
Sold off my cap guns. Now if i can stop buying American civil war stuff.

It seems like the NMLRA leadership would have a more active recruiting effort on this site, encouraging me to join and showing me all the benefits of membership.

With the frequent bashing of the NMLRA, would you post here if you were the President of the NMLRA?

One use to come here to read, but would not post.

Thought about vous camping up at Friendship, never been. Looking at the aerial view of the camping area looks pretty much like out in a field with more leaning towards the RV campers. I don't feel like I should have to pay to be a member to camp there, seems like if they are trying to get people in their club they would offer a normal rendezvous camp fee for first timers to check it out. I like to shoot but I enjoy the camaraderie more so than standing in line to shoot my gun (I can do that with my local club) . I might go and visit but I could also go to Fort De Chartres (about the same distance) and have more of a better time. I'm still up in the air on joining but it just seems that is for getting into their events and I have looked at the Muzzle Blasts mag but prefer the Muzzleloader mag for relative content and price.

I can't go to Friendship with my family because several have disabilities, so I quit the NMLRA.
And until La Pierre the elephant hunter and crew get tossed, the NRA gets no more money, either.
None of our rights or shooting sports depend upon any organization seeking funds for fancy suits and private jets (NRA), or can't be bothered to put simple wheelchair facilities at a range (NMLRA).
Individual people who will speak up and act make things happen.
"...a little rebellion now and then is a good thing...", so if these organizations can do what is good, right, and proper, and have an internal rebellion and fix some glaring issues, I'll rejoin.
Until then, nope.

I can't go to Friendship with my family because several have disabilities, so I quit the NMLRA.
And until La Pierre the elephant hunter and crew get tossed, the NRA gets no more money, either.
None of our rights or shooting sports depend upon any organization seeking funds for fancy suits and private jets (NRA), or can't be bothered to put simple wheelchair facilities at a range (NMLRA).
Individual people who will speak up and act make things happen.
"...a little rebellion now and then is a good thing...", so if these organizations can do what is good, right, and proper, and have an internal rebellion and fix some glaring issues, I'll rejoin.
Until then, nope.

Sir, you are totally correct.

Oh dear quite a lot of strong opinions there was allways a' O tucky ana' concentrate Naturally enough . If I got to Friendship very often and I didnt even live in the US but did 'winter ' mostly in the US not likeing the southern hemisphere winter ( Not likeing ANY winter ) a bit like going to Florida , I was single I could do that so I joyously did . They always made a fuss for overseas visitors they didn't for me & I was quite happy to be considered a national . I can't & don't fault the dedication of Mr Flintlock, Eric Bye. Jim Fulmer,Maxine Moss ' Sharon Cunningham.And many others I cant recal or never knew And the 'Bevel Brothers' where always fun . On occasion I wrote articles in MB & M loader . It was the wretched inlines' zip guns' that put me off . Though I see the reasoning . I did but no longer take Muzzle Loader Magazine . I did in Bill Scurocks time but the current editor is so demanding of photo's I can't supply . I should subscribe to the E Muzzle Blasts didn't know there was one . But its true most any need for information is found in This Forum and related ones . What the in liners put out No idea I class them with plastic camo & nitro .Not my scene. I never trusted the Gate man but I could have been wrong just his attitude .Anyway that's my current take on things.
Regards Rudyard

Back