• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket caps on a percussion rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got asked a question yesterday and didn't have an answer. Can winged musket caps be used on a traditional percussion rifle like a T/C Renegade or Cherokee using the original nipples? Never had a specific need for musket caps and have no idea if the wings would get in the way of the hammer or if they would fit on the nipple without pinching.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

I put musket caps on all percussion rifles I own. Mainly because they are easier to handle. I had one on a TC Hawken, since given away, and it worked fine.

Well, you could, but the diameter of the musket caps is considerably larger than the diameter of a #11 nipple cone. The musket caps will be loose even after pinching and may be too large for a normal side hammer to effectively fire. Much easier to get the nipple with a musket sized cone.

It would be far better to use a magnum cap or RWS 1075 Plus on a #11 nipple. For most traditional side hammer percussion locks, the musket nipple is unnecessary. Yeah, I know the question is being asked because #11 caps are nearly impossible to find and musket caps may be more available. Still better to keep looking for #11 caps.

Musket caps are much easier to handle in the cold. Recent surgery has given me "tingle fingers" that don't always feel what they should feel. I drop a lot of #11s. Not musket caps. If your hammer is wide enough to handle them, and you can find a nipple to handle them, go for it. They do just fine.

ADK Bigfoot

Need to make sure the cavity in your hammer can handle musket caps, if it's not big enough the spent caps could stuck in there and you would have to pick them out.. I had a Zouave I used musket caps on, but ended up switching over to size 11 because of getting blowback debris in the face (of course it is possible my nipple was just worn out).

I have both musket and #11 nipples for most of my percussion rifles. If I run low on one, I can use the other.

Now, if Tap O Cap made a musket cap forming punch, I would be a lot happier.

Thanks for the information. I'll let my friend know. Fortunately, I learned my lesson after the last shortage and got enough size 10 and 11 caps to meet my needs and help out newcomers to the hobby. I use Ted Cash cappers for my rifles and handguns and they work great. They are especially helpful with my big ol' fingers.

Jeff

I would think that the flame on the outside of the nipple would cause damage to the rifle depending on the type of ignition system. (Snail vs. drum)

Stopped by a gun shop on the way home Tuesday. No number 10s or 11s, but plenty of top hat musket caps. Bought some more just in case...

I have found with several percussion guns that when musket caps were used, the hammer was not centered over the nipple and one side of the hammer cavity pinched against the side of the cap enough so that when the hammer fell it was slowed up enough so the cap did not fire. Tweaking the hammer by heating it up enough with a torch to bend it to center over the nipple fixed that. Didn't seem to hurt the hammer by heating it, some of those "adjustments" were made over 20 years ago and those rifles still operate fine.

I bought musket nipples for all my CVA rifles, because I could not find percussion caps, but I was able to buy 1,000 musket caps.

No regrets, they shoot great! I would say they are much hotter in terms of spark than number 11’s.

I have an order in for three tins of #11 percussion caps through grafs, but I will only use those on my TC Seneca. ( ...and only because I could not find a musket nipple that fit my Seneca )

I have bad arthritis and also find the musket caps much easier to manipulate.

I would think that the flame on the outside of the nipple would cause damage to the rifle depending on the type of ignition system. (Snail vs. drum)
Musket nipples are a different size from #10-#11 nipples, and are made to fit the caps. Only the threads are the same, so that they screw in properly

I tried the winged caps on a musket nipple in my Renegade and they did not fire . Had to open the nose considerably to make them work . They make wingless musket caps that would probably work better . Last I checked though , musket caps were not in stock either .

While we're on the subject of musket caps, not all caps are alike. RWS and Schutzen are good to go. CCI are garbage and designed for use in reenactor guns with blanks. Many reenactors in search of "reliable" ignition will take the misguided step of drilling out the nipple or flash channel or (horrors!) both when using a good quality cap will nearly always fix that issue. Back in the day, the CCI 6 wing caps were the thing to have. Hot and reliable. Then a reenactor got a chunk of one in his eye and sued CCI leading to them dumbing them down to the pitiful state they're in now.

While we're on the subject of musket caps, not all caps are alike. RWS and Schutzen are good to go. CCI are garbage and designed for use in reenactor guns with blanks. Many reenactors in search of "reliable" ignition will take the misguided step of drilling out the nipple or flash channel or (horrors!) both when using a good quality cap will nearly always fix that issue. Back in the day, the CCI 6 wing caps were the thing to have. Hot and reliable. Then a reenactor got a chunk of one in his eye and sued CCI leading to them dumbing them down to the pitiful state they're in now.

Latest posts

Back