• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

will these caps work in a typical zouave rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy2175m4

32 Cal
Reaction score
The only percusison caps that seem to be readily available now are CCI 301 Four Wing Musket Caps Black Powder Brass
on the package it says "For reenactment use"

my question is this: i cannot find any specs on the size of nipple these are supposed to fit, my gun is a new 58 cal zouave repro rifled musket, I dont know the exact OD of the nipple and have no idea of the ID of theses caps.

Do these caps typically fit regular repro muskets ? I would think they would but I cant veriy, no numbers

thanks

My mid-60s Zoli came with #11s. Tiny little things.

Musket cap rattled around on them.

Bought a musket nipple from TOTW.

Of course, the previous owner could have installed the #11.

Attachments

• IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    684.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
the nipple on the zoauve is 0.2" in diameter at the end (0.199 but who's counting ?)

are these CCI (for reenactment) musket caps 0.20" ID ?

First off, NO "Zouves" EVER came with a nipple for #11s. Second, virtually NO #11 will match the power of a proper musket cap. Third, CCI Reenactor caps are weak and suitable for blanks only. (Yeah, some yahoos will insist otherwise but they're 100% wrong).

Scheutzen are easily available and RWS are back in stock. Those are the only ones you want if you're serious about shooting this rifle to its full potential.

Last edited:
The only percusison caps that seem to be readily available now are CCI 301 Four Wing Musket Caps Black Powder Brass

my question is this: i cannot find any specs on the size of nipple these are supposed to fit, my gun is a new 58 cal zouave repro rifled musket, I dont know the exact OD of the nipple and have no idea of the ID of theses caps.

Do these caps typically fit regular repro muskets ? I would think they would but I cant veriy, no numbers

thanks
You really need to take a dive into the North South Skirmish Association pool. We shoot Civil War era arms in competition for both speed and accuracy. The "Zouave" is considered to be a solid "starter" musket and is very capable when loaded correctly and if the shooter has at least an inkling on how to shoot offhand.

And no, we don't use no stinking #11 iddy biddy caps

First off, NO "Zouves" EVER came with a nipple for #11s. Second, virtually NO #11 will match the power of a proper musket cap. Third, CCI Reenactor caps are weak and suitable for blanks only. (Yeah, some yahoos will insist otherwise but they're 100% wrong).

Scheutzen are easily available and RWS are back in stock. Those are the only ones you want if you're serious about shooting this rifle to its full potential.
Thanks for the reply. I finally found a table of percussion cap specifications in the Henry Krank website, they have virtually no inventory but I did see that the RWS 4 wing musket cap is .230" ID, will fit, and I am hoping the CCI 4 wing musket cap will fit, looks like the 0.238" OD nipple on my gun is standard.

Thanks for the reply. I finally found a table of percussion cap specifications in the Henry Krank website, they have virtually no inventory but I did see that the RWS 4 wing musket cap is .230" ID, will fit, and I am hoping the CCI 4 wing musket cap will fit, looks like the 0.238" OD nipple on my gun is standard.
I just received 600 RWS caps from muzzle-loaders.com Also you can get a new nipple (I would suggest the Track of the Wolf Stainless Steel musket nipple) and those fit the Scheutzen/RIO Musket caps well also

Both are still in stock as of this post.

thanks
I bought some at friendship from dixie. Put 15 rounds through my Zouave and they did very well

thanks
Sorry my caps were rws not cci😫🙄

despite looking everywhere the only caps I can find are the cci 0301 reenactors caps, I bought 1 box on amazon, $37. Nothing else can if find. not ideal but for getting started I think they will work. I suppose I can just fire blanks til i get some real RWS caps .... somewhere

despite looking everywhere the only caps I can find are the cci 0301 reenactors caps, I bought 1 box on amazon, $37. Nothing else can if find. not ideal but for getting started I think they will work. I suppose I can just fire blanks til i get some real RWS caps .... somewhere
Back Creek Gun Shop

If you're looking at your local shop, you won't find them. Most don't even carry real black powder either.

If you are shooting real bullets, make sure you don't have a blank ! ! ! shooting nipple in your gun.
When I got mine many years ago (mid 70s) the nipples bore is huge.
So large that when I shoot my first loads though it, it would blow the hammer back to half cock.
Burned the stock, and came close to burning my pretty face.

Latest posts

Back