• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mountian men rendezvous cannons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Silver

32 Cal.
Reaction score
some of my mates and i are interested in the collaping gun carriage that one of them saw at a rendezvous. it looks like a folding step ladder with wheels on one end and the barrel mounted to the top. can somebody post pics or info about them. thanks

I have never seen such a thing. But a cannon at a rendezvous???? Does anyone have any evidence of such a thing ever actually happening? What use would a trapper have had for a cannon? :idunno: I don't know......maybe it could have happened. :hmm: Perhaps if he was trapping in Texas and needed something to dispatch a Texas beaver. :haha:

there is evidence that the traders who came to trade for pelts used small swivel cannon at trading posts on the fronteer but in the things I have read I never came across a refrence to them being broght along to rendezvous... but I suppose if one felt the need anything is possible....
there is a nice bronze spanish swivel gun on display at the one time residence of a mountian man who became Governor of New Mexico which was owned by him.......

thanks for the historical info on the presents of cannons at rendezvous i have saw youtube vides of them being shot. i was trying to find out more on the construction of these collapeing carriages. the gun used on them are small bore probabley no more then an inch. also someone in our group said that the carriages may be copied from a series of books called sketchbook 59series about the french and indian war.

So, clearly a cannon was brought to one of the rendezvous. I am amazed but better informed.

Me and my fellow cannon shooters are finding at modern day rowdies cannons are coming more popular
Just another place shoot for a crowd

Correct or not i have no idea

buzz, i'm not interested as to the carriages period correctness, but more on how they are constructed. do you know of the type of carriage i'm referring to.

Cap i'm not one for hc/pc but few years ago i saw a folding carriage and when i made mine it bolts together andthe the whhels held on with keeper pins
Send me an pm if you like see my carriage
Pull two pins wheels off undo 2 nuts and loosen two more axel tail and wheels are in pieces axle fits between the tails and becomes as small as i can make it
Wheels 24'' dia barrel is 2.25 bore and about 90lbs carriage tails are 35'' long by 8'' wide
Total tear down or setup either way is appox 15 min or less and transports easily in my wife hatch back

Back