• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MLs are improving my shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the ammo shortage over the last couple of years, I have all but put aside my centerfires. I've gone to the range to confirm zero on my hunting rifles before a hunt. And I've shot my pistols a couple of times. But I used to get out to the pistol range about once a month. What little shooting I get to do these days has been with my percussion muzzleloaders. And I find them more fun lately anyway.

So I was a little unsure how I would do on a handgun qualification test I had to take last night. It's not a tough test by any stretch. But my results this year, compared with 2 years ago were surprising. Somehow, I improved from 2 years ago. I wasn't bad 2 years ago either. In fact, the instructor had even said I was among the best shooters of the class (a low bar but a complement all the same). Yet, with far less practice, I managed to do better than before. Go figure.

I credit the improvement to spending my shooting time behind muzzleloaders. CFs seem so much more forgiving and lightening fast after shooting these old-style guns. Having to really pay attention to holding sights on target through the entire lock time and firing of a percussion rifle is a challenge for me. I still have to battle a flinch in all shooting that I do -- including archery. My brain just wants to anticipate that shot. I have to focus on keeping that sight picture locked until I hear the ball hit the target because sometimes I still want to lift my head up after hearing the cap go off (doesn't take much of a hang fire to mess up that up). All that adds up to better shooting of everything -- MLs and CF. I'm pretty convinced at this point that a ML is one of the best tools for teaching shooting fundamentals.

Just wanted to share that bit of success. I hope that more people learn about traditional MLs and how it can improve their shooting. I had originally picked one up so I could participate in a lottery hunt. I never thought it would be so addicting. Now I've sold a couple CFs and looking to sell another while also looking to pick up more MLs. Good stuff.

Absolutely 👍
I don't even own a centerfire rifle currently but was handed recently a vintage Winchester 92 in 44wcf and shot a tighter group than its owner. He asked "how did you do that"? I said I shoot muzzleloaders!
I don't consider myself an expert marksman at all -- just proficient. But a few times, I've let others shoot my MLs. Each time, they miss the target completely at about 50 yards. Sometimes off by feet. Then they hand it back to me & don't want to shoot it anymore. I think we're both disappointed. They're disappointed by their shot. I'm disappointed that they didn't enjoy it & want to do another.

Fifty yards is too far, let them have a go at 15 yards.

It is not really hard to teach new folks pistol shooting. It took my wife a 2 sessions to get ready with a modern pistol to be ready for her concealed license and took my neighbor one.

Look at the target, it's okay if it is fuzzy, concentrate on the front sight, hold it on the bottom of the target, do not worry about the rear sight, the brain will take care of it and slowly pull the trigger.

There are no secrets to pistol shooting, other than good practice as No Second Place said.

I think on a whole muzzleloaders are more vested in each shot because we load each component right there before the shot and want each shot to count. I also reload unmentionables and it is similar as well but its to easy to shoot many more times in a short period. Causing rushed shots.

Fifty yards is too far, let them have a go at 15 yards.

It is not really hard to teach new folks pistol shooting. It took my wife a 2 sessions to get ready with a modern pistol to be ready for her concealed license and took my neighbor one.

Look at the target, it's okay if it is fuzzy, concentrate on the front sight, hold it on the bottom of the target, do not worry about the rear sight, the brain will take care of it and slowly pull the trigger.

There are no secrets to pistol shooting, other than good practice as No Second Place said.
My first handgun instructor introduced me to the dot torture test. I only have small handguns -- nothing full-size. And they're DAO with a very long pull. I have yet to clear that test with a perfect score.

I just bought a Pietta Police Pocket Model., .36 with a 6 1/2 barrel. It is the definition of small and cute.

Should be a fun pistol to shoot.

Try flint lock rifles. Those will help improve your hold on target. Cap locks are fine, but add a minor distraction (pan ignition) to the mix. When you get to the point of not seeing the pan ignite, then your attention to the sights and target will improve.

When you get there with a pistol, you have accomplished something. I shoot flint pistol better.

Try flint lock rifles. Those will help improve your hold on target. Cap locks are fine, but add a minor distraction (pan ignition) to the mix. When you get to the point of not seeing the pan ignite, then your attention to the sights and target will improve.
Working on that ;)

Three of the four longest shots I ever made on deer , were with muzzleloaders. .50 cal. , 135 yds. , .62 Jaeger , 165 yds.,, .62 long rifle ,210 yds. . Couldn't have done anything like this w/o having shot in competition , for years........Practice , practice , practice........:thumb:

When I'm instructing, I make the point that getting to be a good shot is harder with a muzzleloader for a number of reasons. First, everything happens much much slower than in a modern arm and that translates into technique and follow through becoming critical. Both of which are necessary, but not as major, in a modern arm. Next, because of the nature of black powder, all that happens after the shot is started is easily influenced by what you did right or wrong as you pulled the trigger. The term for it is exterior ballistics. Cant the gun, shot goes left or right. Lift your head, no telling where you just pulled the shot. Poor sight alignment or sight picture, don't expect a hit. So yeah, I'm completely on board with muzzleloading making you a better shot overall. All modern stuff does is to cover up for poor marksmanship and technique. These days, I shoot muzzleloaders and black powder almost all the time. I do break out modern stuff from time to time after a pleasant black powder session, but the holy black will keep you honest on the skill set.

I've done this at our range a couple times. I spend the better part of my range sessions shooting my Civil War muzzleloaders offhand for practice and some on the bench for load development. The tacticool crowd frowns on my guns making the stinky smoke. I'll put away the 1862 musket and musketoon and pull out a "modern sporting arm" more like theirs and proceed to wear out a 6in gong offhand at 200yd that they struggle to hit from a bench. That crowd has learned a couple things. First, muzzleloaders are capable of great accuracy cuz I'll take head shots on their fancy silhoutte targets with my musketoon. Second, they can't shoot for shinola.

With the ammo shortage over the last couple of years, I have all but put aside my centerfires. I've gone to the range to confirm zero on my hunting rifles before a hunt. And I've shot my pistols a couple of times. But I used to get out to the pistol range about once a month. What little shooting I get to do these days has been with my percussion muzzleloaders. And I find them more fun lately anyway.

So I was a little unsure how I would do on a handgun qualification test I had to take last night. It's not a tough test by any stretch. But my results this year, compared with 2 years ago were surprising. Somehow, I improved from 2 years ago. I wasn't bad 2 years ago either. In fact, the instructor had even said I was among the best shooters of the class (a low bar but a complement all the same). Yet, with far less practice, I managed to do better than before. Go figure.

I credit the improvement to spending my shooting time behind muzzleloaders. CFs seem so much more forgiving and lightening fast after shooting these old-style guns. Having to really pay attention to holding sights on target through the entire lock time and firing of a percussion rifle is a challenge for me. I still have to battle a flinch in all shooting that I do -- including archery. My brain just wants to anticipate that shot. I have to focus on keeping that sight picture locked until I hear the ball hit the target because sometimes I still want to lift my head up after hearing the cap go off (doesn't take much of a hang fire to mess up that up). All that adds up to better shooting of everything -- MLs and CF. I'm pretty convinced at this point that a ML is one of the best tools for teaching shooting fundamentals.

Just wanted to share that bit of success. I hope that more people learn about traditional MLs and how it can improve their shooting. I had originally picked one up so I could participate in a lottery hunt. I never thought it would be so addicting. Now I've sold a couple CFs and looking to sell another while also looking to pick up more MLs. Good stuff.
There is no 12 step program for this addiction. :dunno: Polecat

When I'm instructing, I make the point that getting to be a good shot is harder with a muzzleloader for a number of reasons. First, everything happens much much slower than in a modern arm and that translates into technique and follow through becoming critical

Absolutely true! And to get even better practice you can go to a lower velocity rifle/pistol (as in air powered).

Back