• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who the heck made this Hawken rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansas Paul

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So I'm pretty new and posted about a Hawken I recently purchased.
Well my dad has had this one for 20+ years and I don't think he's ever shot the darn thing.
I was talking to him about wanting to get into shooting the traditional MLs and he told me to take this one and use it.
The markings on the barrel simply say: Odessa Spain, .58 caliber, Black Powder Only.
That's the only markings on the entire gun.
Is there any way to tell who made it? Or any educated gueses?

I appreciate any info y'all have. Thanks.

oc99LG3.jpg

I feel really stupid.
For some reason I assumed Odessa was a place in Spain. lol
I watched a Johnny Carson segment when I was doing things I ought not have been doing back in high school. I was AMAZED later when I learned spaghetti did NOT grow on trees! It was super super realistic and VERY well done. Good stuff back in those days.

If you aren’t familiar with these guns the rifle has double set triggers. Before anything else check that the rifle isn’t loaded. Lower the hammer by pulling the hammer back just a bit and holding it then pull the front trigger to to lower then hammer to the nipple. In this position you can pull the rear trigger till it catches then a light pull on the front trigger will make a snap. That is the way to practice as much as you like without harming the rifle. I hope I’m not telling you what you already know, just trying to help.

Traditions doesn't make anything, they are just a brand name. Kind of like when Lyman sold muzzleloaders with their name on it, but actually made by investarm.
Yep. Wouldn't be surprised if the parent company in Spain is still jukar or ardessa. CVA and traditions are just the US importer name for the company.

Latest posts

Back