• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MISUNDERSTANDING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutch, I have always enjoyed your writings and learnt a lot from them. So thankyou and Merry Christmas from across and south aways the other pond New Zealand.
Cheers Euan.

I WAS DOING some research on my late brother who was a Vice Admiral who went by the same name as I and stumbled across a lot of post on The American Long Rifle Forum regarding my efforts. They were not uncomplimentary but a tad short sighted.
They all objected that I was interested in teaching bench shooting. If that'd your interest perhaps I'm your man but bench shooting will show you how well your rifle shoots.
Out of the box or off the table with no instructions using a guessed at powder charge and a grabbed at piece of cotton cloth your ew to you rifle will not give you a group worth talking about. Daniel Boone and David Crocket couldn't shoot any better than that rifle is doing out of the box. You should and I try to help folks make the adjustments in powder, patch thickness and lubrication to bring that bench rest group a group tight enough to bring a smile to your face. That's a number of step ones.
THEN WHEN THE RIFLE HAS DISPLAYED GOOD BEHAVIOR YOU BOLDLY STEP UP, PUT ASIDE YOUR BENCH REST EQUIPMENTS ANDSTAND TO TO TRY YOUR LUCK OR SKILLS SHOOTING OFFHAND.
YOU WILL NOT SHOOT ANYWHERE NEAR AS WELL AS YOU DID TOWARD THE END OF YOUR BENCH REST TUNING IN.
WHY? BECAUSE YOU HAVE TAKEN A PERFECTLY ACCURATE RIFLE AND ADDED ALL YOUR PERSONAL WEAVING, WAVERING AND POSSIBLE SHAKING INTO THE PROCEDURE. HOW EMBARRASSING. Now it is time to work on your stance. You are the gun emplacement and that front sight has taken on a life of its own. Whizzing from left to right and back with maybe a shirt of up and down thrown in for punishment.. Slowly you lear how to control some or even a lot of that and your offhand groups begin to narrow. Don't hold too long it will only get worse etc.
In time you may begin to win prizes and become regarded as a pain in the lower lumbar areas by others at competitions.

But will never do well with a rifle that has never been tamed to acceptable behavior shooting at the bench unaffected by an argument with your bride or the results of a hangover.
If you never do well offhand you can always go back to bench. There is something rather grand about the rifleman who loads aims and fires and hits rather exactly where he aimed.
Dutch

Dutch My Apologies to you Sir, My comments were rude and uncalled for.I also apologize to the other Members of this Forum.
SM

Last edited by a moderator:
As a member, I sincerely accept your apology. Thank you for it.
Now, let us move onward in harmony of purpose.
Thank you, I am sincerely sorry for allowing myself to type such a thing and in the way I did it was simply wrong.
I would like to express my gratitude to everyone on this forum for their help and advice. I truly appreciate having this. I can and will do better.
SM

I’m a noob BPML shooter and a lurker here. Folks in the club I I joined have been encouraging and helpful. Interestingly, many have developed different opinions & practices that work well for them. Reading Dutch’s notes compels me to buy his book- someone please inform me as to the title, his name and where I might order one; I’d like to have him autograph a copy for me, if he’s amenable. Certainly, soon as I’m able, I’ll be out to the club, shooting my 1863 Springfield two-band from the bench. Am not a hunter, but since our matches are all offhand, I’ll get both my smoke-pole and myself “tuned”. Thanks Dutch and thanks to all of you for sharing.

As a long time lurker I feel that I must comment on this.
In my humble opinion Dutch Schultz has contributed an immense amount of time and effort attempting to teach the general public his understanding of shooting our ancestral firearms and I strongly believe that he fully deserves to be respected and encouraged to continue doing so. His knowledge has allowed me to become a significant opponent in the NMLRA events that I participate in throughout the north eastern United States. I can only hope that he realizes that the vast majority of dedicated black powder shooters have only the highest respect and admiration for him. I wish him the very best for the holiday season, the best of health and hope to read many of his comments in future posts.
Respectfully LR_Smoker.

I shoot "from the bench" when sighting in and working up loads. (no real rests an stuff, I just use the bench to steady my hold.)
I shoot off-hand after that.

I used to be a fair shot ... back when I was young and could see better.
Shootin' 1 inch diameter broom sticks and them small used to be free at bars and restaurants match books at 100 yards was easy kills.

Now that I old, decrepit, and need bifocals ... I dunno ... I hope I can hit the broadside of a barn now ... when inside said barn.

Thank you, I am sincerely sorry for allowing myself to type such a thing and in the way I did it was simply wrong.
I would like to express my gratitude to everyone on this forum for their help and advice. I truly appreciate having this. I can and will do better.
SM
I don’t doubt you will do better. Myself, I often pause for a few minutes or even hours before clicking “post reply”... in no way does it stop me from eating my foot from time to time but it’s not a regular part of my diet lately. Passes for success in my world.

Good on you sir. A Happy and prosperous New Year to all men of good will.

I don’t doubt you will do better. Myself, I often pause for a few minutes or even hours before clicking “post reply”... in no way does it stop me from eating my foot from time to time but it’s not a regular part of my diet lately. Passes for success in my world.

Good on you sir. A Happy and prosperous New Year to all men of good will.
That's one of the hazards of the internet age; there's no cooling off period. You can fire off your idiocy immediately. In the old days when you wrote an alcohol infused, rage fueled or butt-hurt letter to the editor, you had to stuff it in an envelope, stick a stamp on it, and drop it in a mailbox. A hot cup of coffee on a cold morning after gave you a chance to reconsider before you committed yourself...

When I started posting in chat forums, I only belonged to one. Being a novice, I tended to get overheated a little more often than I do today. Occasionally I'd post a scathing response to some idiocy, read it the next morning, and delete or tone it down because I decided it was over the top.

After about five years of being a member in good standing, I was abruptly tossed by a moderator who decided I was a pinko commie liberal for not blindly supporting his political candidate. I went back in a year or two later out of curiosity, and was startled to find several posts by a friend of his who claimed I had made a habit of posting inflammatory remarks, leaving them for a while to be read, then deleting or editing them before I could get called on them.

I was momentarily tempted to rejoin long enough to explain that I had just been self-censoring, and point out I hadn't even done it that often. Then I reminded myself that when you wrestle with a pig, you both get muddy - and the pig enjoys it. ;)

Last edited:
I shoot "from the bench" when sighting in and working up loads. (no real rests an stuff, I just use the bench to steady my hold.)
I shoot off-hand after that.

I used to be a fair shot ... back when I was young and could see better.
Shootin' 1 inch diameter broom sticks and them small used to be free at bars and restaurants match books at 100 yards was easy kills.

Now that I old, decrepit, and need bifocals ... I dunno ... I hope I can hit the broadside of a barn now ... when inside said barn.
You and me both old man!!!!
Now I shoot more for fun, a little for hunting, and do a lot of remembering good days gone by...
Now when hunting, I always shoot from a supported position. Have not had a miss in decades. I owe a clean quick kill to the deer.

BUT - still enjoying every minute of it.

In my years I've found that everyone deserves respect until he proves that he doesn't. Those that can atone for past misteaks in responses, do earn respect.
I just tested the spell checker, and it obviously isn't on.

Back