• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MISUNDERSTANDING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir, I have never shot an Australian in my life. These are not beer cans, they are empty propane cans. Only problem with them is that we gotta pick them up after we get done shooting.
Dutch, you funny guy.

Sir, I have never shot an Australian in my life. These are not beer cans, they are empty propane cans. Only problem with them is that we gotta pick them up after we get done shooting.
Dutch, you funny guy.

I WAS SURPRISED AND AMUSED WHEN AN AUSTRALIAN REFERRED TO BUDWEISER AS "LOVE ON THE BEACH".
THE REASON FOR THIS IS TOO CRUDE FOR THE FORUM.
DUTCH

The coleman cans I shoot at are one pound of propane cans that are expended. They are dark green, about six or seven inches tall and about three or four inches across. Not the big one gallon coleman cans with liquid fuel for stoves. My cans are used on my camp stove then discarded. I guess I should have been more descriptive in the original post.
Those are 1# pressurized propane cylinders.
I don't shoot mine, I refill them, MUCH cheaper than buying new ones.
20191228_202640.jpg

View attachment 21039
These Coleman bottles remind me of family legends relating the invention of the gasoline powered stove, called Primus stove at one time that was invented by a hard headed German relative way the heck back in time. Being an H H German he wasn't going to shake the riches of his invention with any family members, so he sold the whole idea to the Prentice company for the staggering sum of $50 plus his name added to that of the company. This was before WW I and the family name was Wabbers. The sound of a disturbed duck. It was felt to be too Germanic when the Huns were distressing nuns and small children in Belgium in 1914 so they had changed the name to the equally Deutsch name of Webbers.
So he sold the patent and idea for big bucks and the company name became The Prentice Wabbers company, Later revel from duskiness and became the Preway company which still exists today.
Think of of all the people who set fire to themselves with this. I almost makes you proud.
There's another legend about the horse drawn potato digger which also involved some self inflicting hard headedness.
Where is everybody this grey Monday morning/You can't all be contributing members of society? Mostnof us have reached the Golden Years to become a burden on everyone. Hw! Hw1
Dutch

Bringing this back to shooting; agree with the initial post. I have been a competitive shooter for more than 40 years and have Master classifications in several different shooting disciplines. I have also been a professional instructor for over 30 years. I would break down the initial post even further. I am getting ready to teach my daughter how to shoot. Shes going to learn the basics of all marksmanship first, with a .22, learning sight picture trigger squeeze and follow through. Maybe from the bench initially to have fun, but I will introduce sling supported prone first. Then sitting, kneeling, and offhand as she grows into it. Once you have the basics down you can apply them to almost any fire arm. Except maybe shotgun but I get yelled at for shooting a shotgun like a rifle all the time. I do shoot all my rifles from the bench because I want to know the mechanical limitations of the rifle. How accurate is it mechanically, how much does a sight adjustment move the round at a given distance. I do however practice shooting under field conditions. With a real accurate rifle, you may get different shot placement just by changing stance from prone to sitting to kneeling to standing, maybe not a minute of deer change but even a quarter MOA difference can be a lot depending on what you're shooting. Also, depending on the rifle resting the stock on something can change impact. Your going to effect the bedding of the rifle maybe and definitely how it recoils which can change bullet impact. You also need to know your limits as a shooter. You maybe comfortable taking an offhand shot at a deer at 50 yards but supported prone maybe you're comfortable out to 100 or 125. Now through in wind rain changing light conditions and temperature you have a lot to know. To summarize a long winded rant: 1. Learn to shoot. 2 Learn to shoot your rifle (or pistol or shotgun) 3 Learn to shoot it under the field conditions your going to be shooting it under. I know this is a muzzle loading forum and I shoot my muzzleloader a lot, I shoot that once a month usually, but I am also putting 500 rounds a week through a handgun. But at the end of the day no matter what im shooting it comes down to what I learned on a single shot .22 bolt action; sight picture, trigger squeeze, follow through. Sorry for the rant. I don't thing there is any one right way to shoot but I do thing there are a lot of wrong ways.

These Coleman bottles remind me of family legends relating the invention of the gasoline powered stove, called Primus stove at one time that was invented by a hard headed German relative way the heck back in time. Being an H H German he wasn't going to shake the riches of his invention with any family members, so he sold the whole idea to the Prentice company for the staggering sum of $50 plus his name added to that of the company. This was before WW I and the family name was Wabbers. The sound of a disturbed duck. It was felt to be too Germanic when the Huns were distressing nuns and small children in Belgium in 1914 so they had changed the name to the equally Deutsch name of Webbers.
So he sold the patent and idea for big bucks and the company name became The Prentice Wabbers company, Later revel from duskiness and became the Preway company which still exists today.
Think of of all the people who set fire to themselves with this. I almost makes you proud.
There's another legend about the horse drawn potato digger which also involved some self inflicting hard headedness.
Where is everybody this grey Monday morning/You can't all be contributing members of society? Mostnof us have reached the Golden Years to become a burden on everyone. Hw! Hw1
Dutch
View attachment 21039
The Coleman stove containers has caused me to think of a wee prize to give as a reward for the best –––––––––––––––––. I must go see if it's affordable but I need a contest related to ML orBP or even some other aspect of our sport and hobby.
Dutch
Bringing this back to shooting; agree with the initial post. I have been a competitive shooter for more than 40 years and have Master classifications in several different shooting disciplines. I have also been a professional instructor for over 30 years. I would break down the initial post even further. I am getting ready to teach my daughter how to shoot. Shes going to learn the basics of all marksmanship first, with a .22, learning sight picture trigger squeeze and follow through. Maybe from the bench initially to have fun, but I will introduce sling supported prone first. Then sitting, kneeling, and offhand as she grows into it. Once you have the basics down you can apply them to almost any fire arm. Except maybe shotgun but I get yelled at for shooting a shotgun like a rifle all the time. I do shoot all my rifles from the bench because I want to know the mechanical limitations of the rifle. How accurate is it mechanically, how much does a sight adjustment move the round at a given distance. I do however practice shooting under field conditions. With a real accurate rifle, you may get different shot placement just by changing stance from prone to sitting to kneeling to standing, maybe not a minute of deer change but even a quarter MOA difference can be a lot depending on what you're shooting. Also, depending on the rifle resting the stock on something can change impact. Your going to effect the bedding of the rifle maybe and definitely how it recoils which can change bullet impact. You also need to know your limits as a shooter. You maybe comfortable taking an offhand shot at a deer at 50 yards but supported prone maybe you're comfortable out to 100 or 125. Now through in wind rain changing light conditions and temperature you have a lot to know. To summarize a long winded rant: 1. Learn to shoot. 2 Learn to shoot your rifle (or pistol or shotgun) 3 Learn to shoot it under the field conditions your going to be shooting it under. I know this is a muzzle loading forum and I shoot my muzzleloader a lot, I shoot that once a month usually, but I am also putting 500 rounds a week through a handgun. But at the end of the day no matter what im shooting it comes down to what I learned on a single shot .22 bolt action; sight picture, trigger squeeze, follow through. Sorry for the rant. I don't thing there is any one right way to shoot but I do thing there are a lot of wrong ways.

WHAT A SPLENDID POST. IT'S LIKE A COMPLETE STUDY LESSON PLAN. PROBABLY A BIT OVER THE CAPABILITIES OF A LOT OF US BECAUSE OF TIME AND MONEY LIMITATIONS.
I WOUL APPRECIATE YOUR EXPLAINING FOLLOW THROUGH WHICH I IGNORANTLY THOUGHT /I HAD INVENTED UNTIL I WAS EMBARRASSED TO LEARN WAS BASIC PROCEDURE AMONG THE BETTER SHOOTERS LIKE OUR CORRESPONDENT..
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

SPEAK TO ME.
MY ONLY KIWI KONTACT IS DUNCAN MACREADY WHO NOW LIVES ON SOUTH ISLAND
MANY YEARS AGO SOMEONE HALF WAY UP THE NORTH ISLAND BOUGHT MY EFFORT AND SAID IT SEEMED REMARKABLY FAMILIAR. HE WAS A MEMBER OF THE NZ RIFLE TEAM AND LEARNED THAT THEIR CURRENT LEADER WAS BASING HIS INSTRUCTIONS ON MY DISCOVERIES.

Hello Dutch,
I don't personaly Know Duncan, But i know the name. I had a cousin living in Blenhiem at top of the south Island, and he use to talk about him. I have come aross Duncan on the New Zealand Blackpowder forum. He posts there at times. seems to have a lot of Knowlege, which is great.
Yes I do have a copy of of your wonderful ebook. It has been a great help.
Wishing you a great and happy new year,
Cheers Euan, from Central Otago, New Zealand.

Hello Dutch,
I don't personaly Know Duncan, But i know the name. I had a cousin living in Blenhiem at top of the south Island, and he use to talk about him. I have come aross Duncan on the New Zealand Blackpowder forum. He posts there at times. seems to have a lot of Knowlege, which is great.
Yes I do have a copy of of your wonderful ebook. It has been a great help.
Wishing you a great and happy new year,
Cheers Euan, from Central Otago, New Zealand.
DOES YOUR COPY HAVE 94 PAGES?

NEW ZEALAND HAS A ML FORUM? I DIDN'T KNOW THAT.
I PANICKED WHEN OBAMA WAS PRESIDENT AND DESTROYED ALL MY RECORDS WHEN I FEARED HIS ANTI GUN GESTAPO WOUULD LIKE THAT ENORMOUS LIST OF NAMES AND ADDRESSES.SO I LOST THE NAME OF THE GENT LIVING HALFWAY UP THE WEST EDGE OF TH N ISLAND WHO TOLD ME ABOUT THE NZ ML RIFLE TEAM FOLLOWING MY INSTRUCTIONS.
IT'S ALL GREAT FUN. AT92 I STILL MISS IT GREATLY.
DUTCH

TO SIT ON OR SHOOT FROM?I USED TO SHOOT EXCLUSIVELY FROM THE BENC IN ADJUSTING RIFLES TO HIT EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE AIMED AT. NOW AS I WADDLE ABOUT MY HEART LEAPS WITH JOY AT THE SIGHT OF A BENCH. TSK
DUTCH

I've set on then, shot off them, hell I've even slept on then down in southern Ohio!
Nit Wit

Last edited by a moderator:
Back