• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal fatigue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but older women seem to get prettier and prettier as in response to kids getting dumber and dumber. With the way the schools are all scared of lawsuits these days, teachers can't touch `em. In the old days teachers could take a kid out back and beat some sense in to them, and it worked.

After reading the last bunch of posts, I thought the topic was "Mental Fatique".....Fred

and has anybody noticed how much steeper those hills get every year? must be due to movement in the earth's crust. can't think of any other reason for it.

I reckon that the fuzzing of the sights can be put down to the physics concept of ENTROPY, which has it that organized things tend to become unorganized with the passage of time (such as if you put cats in a box nice and neat and then they scatter all over the place). So the sharply cut sights gradually become less sharp as they increase their content of entropy. Of course the other ideas discussed in this thread also have merit, as physicists tell us that there is a Unified Field Theory where space, time. gravity and all those sorts of things are related to each other. Therefore it makes perfect sense in science when we observe that gravity is increasing and making rifle barrels heavier, distances we must walk out to the targets are increasing, and time flies faster than it used to.

Fred: getting back to the metal fatigue issue. I thought the metal had to be re repetitively stressed in some manner and after excessive episodes the metal could fail, like bending a wire back and forth to snap it in two. Does metal fatigue occur simply because the metal is old?

No expert on metallurgy but have had some experience as a toolmaker who spent some class time on metals and also spent a yr as the "tool hardener" in a 120 man toolshop.

Some hardened tool steels if improperly hardened and tempered could have incomplete transformation of the steel molecules or if over heated a poor grain structure.

But unhardened modern steels shouldn't fatigue through use or because of extremes in temps when firing in cold weather.

Blown up MLing bbls are usually caused by improper loading {projectile not "home" on powder charge}, an obstruction in the bbl or using smokeless powder.

Due to the low pressures generated by BP, the likelihood of a ruptured bbl because of a flaw in the steel is next to nothing.

I've never "proofed" a bbl and one would think that it's quite unnecessary in doing so w/ modern steel technology......we rarely hear about blown bbls but w/ the few instances that do happen, who knows if the causes were carelessness on the part of the shooter or a flaw in the steel....I'd bet on the carelessness.......Fred

crockett said:
Fred: getting back to the metal fatigue issue. I thought the metal had to be re repetitively stressed in some manner and after excessive episodes the metal could fail, like bending a wire back and forth to snap it in two. Does metal fatigue occur simply because the metal is old?

As far as I know, basically no. However, there is a condition called stress corrosion cracking with brass that is most often caused by ammonia and residual stresses left from cold forming the brass. There can also be extra hardening of hardened high carbon steels over years of time caused by small amounts of retained austenite slowly finishing their conversion to martensite, which was not fully completed in the hardening process. This is usually a minute amount of extra hardening, and although measurable, reasonably insignificant. Not a case of failure, but a change in the structure.

bubba.50 said:
and has anybody noticed how much steeper those hills get every year? must be due to movement in the earth's crust. can't think of any other reason for it.

And the ground has gotten harder. Used to be as soft as a a feather bed now as hard as a rock... and something in the water too. You go out hike all day make your camp have your meal drink a wee dram, hit the robe and no sooner then you drift off that water hits you driving you out of the blankets to its row and hue

tenngun said:
bubba.50 said:

And the ground has gotten harder. Used to be as soft as a a feather bed now as hard as a rock... and something in the water too. You go out hike all day make your camp have your meal drink a wee dram, hit the robe and no sooner then you drift off that water hits you driving you out of the blankets to its row and hue

I think the pioneers & other early settlers called that "settin' their water clock" so's they could get an early start in the mornin'.

"settin' their water clock" so's they could get an early start in the mornin'.

God made with a snooze in my time settin apparatus.....I most always get up once to "check the time" :rotf:

Not only does the steel in gun barrels stress, after a few decades so does the body. There's some kind of connection, there. :hmm:

Worst of all, the coins in my pockets have also grown fuzzier and fuzzier. They now won't buy half of what they used to. :shake:

age of the metal is not going to make any difference in our short period of time. Stress and environmental conditions can lead to the metal failure.

It all depends on the type of metal, thickness of the metal and temp. can also have an impact, but not as likely for most of us.

Stress fatigue is very real, but hopefully will not be an issue in our ML.

Fleener

It's atom exchange. With every shot a minute quantity of lead is absorbed by the gun, and a minute quantity of gun is absorbed by the bullet, over time the gun turns to lead. Meanwhile the kick of the gun creates an exchange of atoms with the shooter, making the gun more shooterish, and the shooter more gunnish. Fellow I knew who had been shooting an original Colt Army since the early 1960's came home from a trip to find his wife in bed with his Colt, he raised hell, so the gun climbed out of bed and locked the poor fellow in the gun safe.

Thanks Wick: so to get back to the issue, from what I understand on the posts herein- on a muzzle loading barrel and breach plug, drum, etc. there really should not be any metal fatigue worry, even if a small amount of hardening occurs from a heat treatment, it is insignificant.

Col. Batguano said:
Yes but older women seem to get prettier and prettier as in response to kids getting dumber and dumber. With the way the schools are all scared of lawsuits these days, teachers can't touch `em. In the old days teachers could take a kid out back and beat some sense in to them, and it worked.
I was asked by the principal at one of the schools where I sub this spring how many more years would I be subbing. ( I have subbed there for twelve years). I told him "Until I give in to the temptation to throw a kid into a seat and tell him to "shut up and do his work!" :idunno: :idunno:

Back