• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Told a Big, Fat Lie a Couple of Weeks Ago

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all have what I call "going into kill mode", our predatory senses kick in, the blinders go on and nothing but our prey exists.

I need a deer for my freezer every year as well as one to have processed and give to my sister-in-law. Most of the time I don't click into kill mode and can't make myself shoot a deer, I can think of a dozen reasons not to pull the trigger, too hot, too far to drag, I don't feel like fooling with one etc. Every now and then, when the conditions are just right, I do click into kill mode, the degree of my focus almost shocks me. I think this is how primitive people must have felt when their life depended on the outcome of their hunt.

I don’t keep trophies, I do have some brain tan bags from kills, I don’t take photos of dead deer. I don’t disrespect animals who feed me. I’m a predator, I plan to be cremated and my ashes I hope are dropped in a garden or forest. Such is life
seems like you and me think alike.i dont post pics of deer i kill.yep im a predator too. tthanks for your honesty

For the past 2 years I have not shot a deer until today. I shot a nice mature doe with my T/C Hawkin percussion here in Pa. It did feel good to me. Last year my 8 year old grandson shot a buck and a doe and this year at age 9 he did it again. I was with him mentoring on all 4 occasions. Also his sister shot her first buck last year at age 16 and this year she shot a nice 8 point. Again I was with her on those occasions. I am turning 71 at the end of this month and have hunted deer since I was 12 years old, and I have taken many deer in that time, but I have to say these have been the best 2 hunting seasons I ever had. Like I said it did feel good to me that I was still able to shoot a deer, but more important than that, there are 2 more youngsters to carry on the hunting tradition and there is a third one, a 6 year old grandson that helped me quarter and debone my deer in the field today that said he wants to hunt next year when he turns 7.

I remember that post of yours and I respected your decision at that time. I read your post today and again I respect the decision you made. Today you helped some folks stock the freezer, and that’s great. A lot of folks are dealing with financial difficulties, you stepped up and helped them. I think that’s what it’s all about.

For the past 2 years I have not shot a deer until today. I shot a nice mature doe with my T/C Hawkin percussion here in Pa. It did feel good to me. Last year my 8 year old grandson shot a buck and a doe and this year at age 9 he did it again. I was with him mentoring on all 4 occasions. Also his sister shot her first buck last year at age 16 and this year she shot a nice 8 point. Again I was with her on those occasions. I am turning 71 at the end of this month and have hunted deer since I was 12 years old, and I have taken many deer in that time, but I have to say these have been the best 2 hunting seasons I ever had. Like I said it did feel good to me that I was still able to shoot a deer, but more important than that, there are 2 more youngsters to carry on the hunting tradition and there is a third one, a 6 year old grandson that helped me quarter and debone my deer in the field today that said he wants to hunt next year when he turns 7.
sounds like you teaching them right

I don’t keep trophies, I do have some brain tan bags from kills, I don’t take photos of dead deer. I don’t disrespect animals who feed me. I’m a predator, I plan to be cremated and my ashes I hope are dropped in a garden or forest. Such is life
Taking pictures of dead deer or to make a wall mount out them is disrespectful?

I see it 100% opposite of that.

Everybody to their own thang I reckon.

Last edited:
Gotta fess up fellas. A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread that described a hunting experience I had that day. In a nutshell, I passed on a large 10 point buck while hunting with a muzzleloader. Felt sorry for the deer, and had an overwhelming desire to never kill again, even though I continued to go out with my rifle.

Well, a few weeks after that, I was asked to go out and help a financially struggling family, as many of us are, fill their freezer with meat. Really had no intention of killing a deer ever again, but was talked into it, unsure if I could/would pull the trigger or not. But I went, almost hoping I wouldn't see anything. Took my Cabelas Hunter Hawken in .54 with me, as I have just recently installed a peep sight (Lyman 57) on it, and wanted to see how it would work in the woods. Went out and sat on a log, way back in the woods, and wasn't there 5 minutes before I heard a commotion headed my way thru the leaves and brush. Saw a doe first, running frantically from two identical looking bucks, headed straight for me. Six decades of pursuing deer kicked in without thinking, and as soon as one of the bucks stopped 15 yards away, I let him have it with a .530 ball propelled by 60 grains of Swiss 3f. Put him right down, but I reloaded quickly just in case. No sooner got reloaded, and a HUGE (counted at least 14 points very quickly!) buck came right down the same path, and stopped 10 yards away, never realizing I was right there. In Missouri, we are only allowed one buck, and I had a 10 point already on the ground, so Big Boy got to live another day.

In reality, if those deer had not been running, triggering my predatory instinct, I would not have shot. Even the Big Guy would have got a pass. Still, some folks got some needed meat, and they were very happy to drag the buck out of the woods for me. Sorry to tell a lie a couple of weeks ago, hopefully I'm done now, as I did have very mixed emotions and remorse as I saw this deer lying there. Old age is turning me into a Sissy Boy.

Never say never

Gotta fess up fellas. A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread that described a hunting experience I had that day. In a nutshell, I passed on a large 10 point buck while hunting with a muzzleloader. Felt sorry for the deer, and had an overwhelming desire to never kill again, even though I continued to go out with my rifle.

Well, a few weeks after that, I was asked to go out and help a financially struggling family, as many of us are, fill their freezer with meat. Really had no intention of killing a deer ever again, but was talked into it, unsure if I could/would pull the trigger or not. But I went, almost hoping I wouldn't see anything. Took my Cabelas Hunter Hawken in .54 with me, as I have just recently installed a peep sight (Lyman 57) on it, and wanted to see how it would work in the woods. Went out and sat on a log, way back in the woods, and wasn't there 5 minutes before I heard a commotion headed my way thru the leaves and brush. Saw a doe first, running frantically from two identical looking bucks, headed straight for me. Six decades of pursuing deer kicked in without thinking, and as soon as one of the bucks stopped 15 yards away, I let him have it with a .530 ball propelled by 60 grains of Swiss 3f. Put him right down, but I reloaded quickly just in case. No sooner got reloaded, and a HUGE (counted at least 14 points very quickly!) buck came right down the same path, and stopped 10 yards away, never realizing I was right there. In Missouri, we are only allowed one buck, and I had a 10 point already on the ground, so Big Boy got to live another day.
In reality, if those deer had not been running, triggering my predatory instinct, I would not have shot. Even the Big Guy would have got a pass. Still, some folks got some needed meat, and they were very happy to drag the buck out of the woods for me. Sorry to tell a lie a couple of weeks ago, hopefully I'm done now, as I did have very mixed emotions and remorse as I saw this deer lying there. Old age is turning me into a Sissy Boy.
No need for remorse, a power higher than you directed your hand.

Taking pictures of dead deer or to make a wall mount out them is disrespectful?

I see it 100% opposite of that.

Everybody to their own thang I reckon.
I don’t mean any disrespect for those that do. You have a perfect right to remember your hunts. Believe me I’m not being holier then thou. If I’m in your home I will admire your mounts, and compliment on a good hunt. But for me I don’t

Gotta fess up fellas. A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread that described a hunting experience I had that day. In a nutshell, I passed on a large 10 point buck while hunting with a muzzleloader.
Sissy Boy??? Easy does it Pastor.
After we spend a few decades on God' s planet our views tend to change. When I grew up times were not easy and wildlife filled the food gap. When my five children were at home we ate many critters. As my family grew and dispersed In a few years my grandchildren filled their own freezers and I have little need for wild meat.
I still love to shoot and be in the bush so I have changed some things. I added a good quality camera to a rifle stock. It works well for me and is easy to take home.
When I come in and my lady asks about my day I say" let me show you!"
What you are experiencing is personal growth. Embrace it.

Me too. I'm getting more and more apt to pass on game. Last year I had a 4 point stop in front of my blind at 12 yards, head down. Hunting with a long bow and wooden arrows. Drew the string back, picked a spot, then eased the string down. Only at that moment did I realize my killing had become less fervent. Haven't hunted since but always planning g to. I reckon its not the shot, but just the need to get out in the wild wood with my primitive stuff. I think now I enjoy the range as much as hunting, and it is grand just to know I can. For me, now, it's mostly about the history of early America and the associated stuff and methods.

as we get older we start to respect that spark that is called life more. as those we love and cherish pass on the lust of youth diminishes and we are left with the appreciation of living things.
this year almost became the first in 67 years that i didn't hunt. (other than a year or so in the late 60's). i finally bought a deer tag and went out for 2 days. jumped a good buck over a scrape and couldn't get the shot. went back the next day and he was with a girlfriend. didn't have the heart to interrupt. staggered home and hung up the flintlock. the hunt was to me very successful.

I don't see it as a lie at all. You had decided back then that shooting a deer then wasn't what you wanted to do that day, or maybe ever again. Fast forward to this hunt. You were asked to help provide, which for all us older gentlemen is what we were taught from young children was what we were required to do as grown men. When those bucks came charging down the trail instinct kicks in and you provide! You may not take another deer for yourself again, but I bet if these same circumstances arise again in future years, you will do what in your very bones, you know must be done!
Cheers.

You are a very lucky man. Fate didn't bless my wife and I with grandchildren so we "adopted" some along the way with the approval of their parents. They are grown and avid hunters and fishermen and I am proud of them all.

I don't see it as a lie at all. You had decided back then that shooting a deer then wasn't what you wanted to do that day, or maybe ever again. Fast forward to this hunt. You were asked to help provide, which for all us older gentlemen is what we were taught from young children was what we were required to do as grown men. When those bucks came charging down the trail instinct kicks in and you provide! You may not take another deer for yourself again, but I bet if these same circumstances arise again in future years, you will do what in your very bones, you know must be done!
Cheers.
This is exactly what I think! Well said.

@PastorB you are not alone in this dilemma. I find myself increasingly reluctant to pull the trigger. I’ve killed many a deer, now I like to feed them and watch them. Some of it is old age tenderness, some is being too lazy to skin them out. But if I ever get hungry enough they better watch out.

We are doing the same with feeding the animals in the wild ...

I don't see a lie, you said you 'desired' not to kill again, that doesn't mean you wouldn't. I say kudos for still getting after it to help a hungry family. Sounds like another great hunt. Good for you and that family.

Latest posts

Back