• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Told a Big, Fat Lie a Couple of Weeks Ago

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta fess up fellas. A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread that described a hunting experience I had that day. In a nutshell, I passed on a large 10 point buck while hunting with a muzzleloader. Felt sorry for the deer, and had an overwhelming desire to never kill again, even though I continued to go out with my rifle.

Well, a few weeks after that, I was asked to go out and help a financially struggling family, as many of us are, fill their freezer with meat. Really had no intention of killing a deer ever again, but was talked into it, unsure if I could/would pull the trigger or not. But I went, almost hoping I wouldn't see anything. Took my Cabelas Hunter Hawken in .54 with me, as I have just recently installed a peep sight (Lyman 57) on it, and wanted to see how it would work in the woods. Went out and sat on a log, way back in the woods, and wasn't there 5 minutes before I heard a commotion headed my way thru the leaves and brush. Saw a doe first, running frantically from two identical looking bucks, headed straight for me. Six decades of pursuing deer kicked in without thinking, and as soon as one of the bucks stopped 15 yards away, I let him have it with a .530 ball propelled by 60 grains of Swiss 3f. Put him right down, but I reloaded quickly just in case. No sooner got reloaded, and a HUGE (counted at least 14 points very quickly!) buck came right down the same path, and stopped 10 yards away, never realizing I was right there. In Missouri, we are only allowed one buck, and I had a 10 point already on the ground, so Big Boy got to live another day.

In reality, if those deer had not been running, triggering my predatory instinct, I would not have shot. Even the Big Guy would have got a pass. Still, some folks got some needed meat, and they were very happy to drag the buck out of the woods for me. Sorry to tell a lie a couple of weeks ago, hopefully I'm done now, as I did have very mixed emotions and remorse as I saw this deer lying there. Old age is turning me into a Sissy Boy.
Hmmm. I’ve been around for a good while……but I haven’t been on this forum but for a short while, so I’m curious as to just which part of your post was a lie, or was the whole thing just a fabrication for our entertainment? It was entertaining btw. 🥴

I
I'm still at the stage where I don't see a nice handsome buck or a beautiful doe, I see steak and roasts. I hope I don't change. It makes life easier. I guess when somebody needs the meat our age old instincts kick in and take charge. You did the right thing.
I am a little more selective ,pass on the buck, does have more flavor/fat and during the rut bucks are run down not eating well and (HORNY) taints their senses!! /Ed

I don’t mean any disrespect for those that do. You have a perfect right to remember your hunts. Believe me I’m not being holier then thou. If I’m in your home I will admire your mounts, and compliment on a good hunt. But for me I don’t
Understood. No disrespect taken. Some folks simply deal with death differently than others.

Like an old Tennessee WW2 vet told me........."everybody to their own thang".

I see no problems with your logic. But stuff happens. I switched to pig hunting myself. We have jillions of pigs to shoot around here. No need to shoot deer and rile up the Bambi crowd.

I've been hunting whitetails and mule deer 73 years and I ain't about to quit now! I've killed many.....and if Good Lord lets me I'm gonna kill some more! I've never shot does....except on 7 different occasions when asked to do so! I quit counting 25 years ago at 427.

Latest posts

Back