• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adjustable Barrel Lapping Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Adjustable Barrel Lapping Tool

I’ll not try to make the case here for why the bore of many modern barrels (especially target guns) can be made much better by lapping. I’m sure you’ve heard enough about the benefits as well as the hassle of doing it the usual way.

My approach requires no heat on the barrel and most shooters will have very little if anything to purchase to get this done. A bill of materials will follow.

Essentially, I compress a soft lead ball between two washers and mounted to a hickory ramrod. A threaded stud (same thread as ramrod end cap) runs through the center of the ball. Then tightening nuts on each side off the washers compresses the ball (while it is in the barrel) until it is forced into the lands and grooves. This is easier to do without the breech plug in place but is not that difficult to do from the muzzle if you plan ahead.
IMG_2020.jpeg

Most people don’t have all-thread studs lying around that match the female thread of their ramrod so I usually find a bolt of suitable length and cleanly remove the head so I have a stud. You will want enough length to bottom out in your ramrod and lock in place by making a double nut locknut so this doesn’t come unscrewed while using. A small washer goes on next and this should be a tight fit to your threads to keep lead from squeezing through. If you don’t have a tight washer, drill out an undersized washer to make the close fit.
IMG_2023.jpeg
IMG_2025.jpeg

Next you push your center drilled, soft lead ball, conical or round fishing weight on the shaft to the washer. Another snug washer goes over the ball followed by a nut which will compress the lead. At this point push the back of the ramrod through the muzzle and out the breech. You want to have the ball part inside the barrel with the nut outside the muzzle so it can be tightened while you or a helper holds the ramrod at the breech end to keep the ball from turning in the barrel. You want to slowly compress the ball since the stud you made is possible to strip if over tightened at once. I just stripped a thread on one I’ve been using for years and had to replace it yesterday. My new one was from a drawer pull knob and Phillips button head which I decided to leave on until it gets in the way.
IMG_2033.jpeg

Anyway, when your lapping rod moves freely through the barrel, give another half turn on the nut to expand the lead more. It is a good idea to mark your ramrod so you know when you are about to hit the breech plug threads and stop your stroke before your rig leaves the rifling. It isn’t a bad idea to index your lead ball to the front sight or top flat in case the lands and grooves are not a perfect match. That way you can remove the rammer and line it up the same way when you reinsert it.
IMG_2027.jpeg

What to do with a closed breech without removing the breech plug. We start out assembling the same way but we remove the rammer before we try to insert the tool. In this case rather than an all thread stud I suggest using a bolt and leaving the head on since it will give you something to pull on in case you push it too deep.

At this point I would secure the head of the bolt with bailing wire or good braided nylon line. An alternative to this would be a fender washer that you have installed between the head of the bolt and the nut you will be tightening so that the head is retained and the washer can’t go into the barrel. The above is just in case since accidents can happen. With care you may not need this since you just tap the head of the bolt with a hammer and pull it back between tightening the nut. I only pull out far enough to reach the nut with a wrench. Use oil at this point to make sliding the lead in and out easier until you have good lands and grooves formed.
IMG_2028.jpeg

Once you see good grooves on the lead ball go ahead and extract the tool and attach securely to your ramrod. This will reverse the ball in the barrel but this seems to make no difference as far as lapping. You will have to remove the rammer each time you want to tighten the nut and expand the ball. Just take it slowly so it doesn’t swell so much it won’t force back in. You can try marking the ball so you can always line it up with the same land in the barrel. That may not be necessary with machine rifled barrels.

Back in the day we used to ball burnish the barrel without compound or just drop a little fine dust in the barrel. In recent decades I have used the adjustable tool described above for a number of strokes with only oil, but then add a little compound meant for polishing wheels to buff out knife blades or other metal. If you don’t have an abrasive stick on hand but do gave some silver polish or compound for your automotive finish, those will also work to smooth out that bore. As the lead wears I tighten the nut a smidgen to improve the fit.

In conclusion, you don’t have melt lead in your barrel and i find it useful to be able to adjust the fit of the lead ball part of this tool. You don’t have to use an abrasive but it speeds things up. If you have a friend who is a mechanic they likely have some very fine valve grinding paste if you want to remove metal quickly.

I normally lap barrels when taking a break from stock carving or cleaning up castings for a new rifle. I’m in no hurry and don’t use such heavy abrasives. Lapping is something you can do while watching TV since it requires no thought once you get going. If you have questions please let me know. I be been making these for about 19 years and was preparing a video this week but had to stop before finished because of holiday stuff.

B.O.M.

1- wooden ramrod with a female threaded metal end cap.

1- soft lead ball the size of your barrel or smaller and center drilled to accept a stud that will screw into your ramrod.

1- all thread stud or a bolt that fits your ramrod threads.

4- nuts to match the threads on the stud or bolt.

2- washers that are a very close fit to the OD of your stud or bolt.

Some gun Oil

Optional - Abrasives

Thank you. I got a batch of large caliber barrels 19 years ago and decided to try to make one a good bench gun. I tried driving a lead slug through it with an half inch dowel and afterwards drilled a hole through it, and rigged it up on a ramrod. From there I moved on to forming the slug from a ball by mashing it between washers.
As you know, it is the easy way to improve your barrels. I will post some more of my homemade tools soon since they may help others do some easier.

Thank you. I got a batch of large caliber barrels 19 years ago and decided to try to make one a good bench gun. I tried driving a lead slug through it with an half inch dowel and afterwards drilled a hole through it, and rigged it up on a ramrod. From there I moved on to forming the slug from a ball by mashing it between washers.
As you know, it is the easy way to improve your barrels. I will post some more of my homemade tools soon since they may help others do some easier.
Can this be used on slightly rough or rusted bores to freshen rifling?

My Adjustable Barrel Lapping Tool

I’ll not try to make the case here for why the bore of many modern barrels (especially target guns) can be made much better by lapping. I’m sure you’ve heard enough about the benefits as well as the hassle of doing it the usual way.

My approach requires no heat on the barrel and most shooters will have very little if anything to purchase to get this done. A bill of materials will follow.

Essentially, I compress a soft lead ball between two washers and mounted to a hickory ramrod. A threaded stud (same thread as ramrod end cap) runs through the center of the ball. Then tightening nuts on each side off the washers compresses the ball (while it is in the barrel) until it is forced into the lands and grooves. This is easier to do without the breech plug in place but is not that difficult to do from the muzzle if you plan ahead.
View attachment 280991
Most people don’t have all-thread studs lying around that match the female thread of their ramrod so I usually find a bolt of suitable length and cleanly remove the head so I have a stud. You will want enough length to bottom out in your ramrod and lock in place by making a double nut locknut so this doesn’t come unscrewed while using. A small washer goes on next and this should be a tight fit to your threads to keep lead from squeezing through. If you don’t have a tight washer, drill out an undersized washer to make the close fit.
View attachment 280996View attachment 280997
Next you push your center drilled, soft lead ball, conical or round fishing weight on the shaft to the washer. Another snug washer goes over the ball followed by a nut which will compress the lead. At this point push the back of the ramrod through the muzzle and out the breech. You want to have the ball part inside the barrel with the nut outside the muzzle so it can be tightened while you or a helper holds the ramrod at the breech end to keep the ball from turning in the barrel. You want to slowly compress the ball since the stud you made is possible to strip if over tightened at once. I just stripped a thread on one I’ve been using for years and had to replace it yesterday. My new one was from a drawer pull knob and Phillips button head which I decided to leave on until it gets in the way.
View attachment 280999
Anyway, when your lapping rod moves freely through the barrel, give another half turn on the nut to expand the lead more. It is a good idea to mark your ramrod so you know when you are about to hit the breech plug threads and stop your stroke before your rig leaves the rifling. It isn’t a bad idea to index your lead ball to the front sight or top flat in case the lands and grooves are not a perfect match. That way you can remove the rammer and line it up the same way when you reinsert it.
View attachment 281000
What to do with a closed breech without removing the breech plug. We start out assembling the same way but we remove the rammer before we try to insert the tool. In this case rather than an all thread stud I suggest using a bolt and leaving the head on since it will give you something to pull on in case you push it too deep.

At this point I would secure the head of the bolt with bailing wire or good braided nylon line. An alternative to this would be a fender washer that you have installed between the head of the bolt and the nut you will be tightening so that the head is retained and the washer can’t go into the barrel. The above is just in case since accidents can happen. With care you may not need this since you just tap the head of the bolt with a hammer and pull it back between tightening the nut. I only pull out far enough to reach the nut with a wrench. Use oil at this point to make sliding the lead in and out easier until you have good lands and grooves formed.
View attachment 281001
Once you see good grooves on the lead ball go ahead and extract the tool and attach securely to your ramrod. This will reverse the ball in the barrel but this seems to make no difference as far as lapping. You will have to remove the rammer each time you want to tighten the nut and expand the ball. Just take it slowly so it doesn’t swell so much it won’t force back in. You can try marking the ball so you can always line it up with the same land in the barrel. That may not be necessary with machine rifled barrels.

Back in the day we used to ball burnish the barrel without compound or just drop a little fine dust in the barrel. In recent decades I have used the adjustable tool described above for a number of strokes with only oil, but then add a little compound meant for polishing wheels to buff out knife blades or other metal. If you don’t have an abrasive stick on hand but do gave some silver polish or compound for your automotive finish, those will also work to smooth out that bore. As the lead wears I tighten the nut a smidgen to improve the fit.

In conclusion, you don’t have melt lead in your barrel and i find it useful to be able to adjust the fit of the lead ball part of this tool. You don’t have to use an abrasive but it speeds things up. If you have a friend who is a mechanic they likely have some very fine valve grinding paste if you want to remove metal quickly.

I normally lap barrels when taking a break from stock carving or cleaning up castings for a new rifle. I’m in no hurry and don’t use such heavy abrasives. Lapping is something you can do while watching TV since it requires no thought once you get going. If you have questions please let me know. I be been making these for about 19 years and was preparing a video this week but had to stop before finished because of holiday stuff.

B.O.M.

1- wooden ramrod with a female threaded metal end cap.

1- soft lead ball the size of your barrel or smaller and center drilled to accept a stud that will screw into your ramrod.

1- all thread stud or a bolt that fits your ramrod threads.

4- nuts to match the threads on the stud or bolt.

2- washers that are a very close fit to the OD of your stud or bolt.

Some gun Oil

Optional - Abrasives

Excellent posting BOM, your photos will be of much help to folks who are new to reconditioning barrels !!
Tip;
I use a military surplus .50 cal. cleaning rod with a tapered brass collar from Treso for lapping, cleaning & loading at the range.
These rugged military rods have swivel 'T' handles that prevents 'rifling' from unscrewing your lapping tool or cleaning/loading jag.
Relic shooter

Excellent posting BOM, your photos will be of much help to folks who are new to reconditioning barrels !!
Tip;
I use a military surplus .50 cal. cleaning rod with a tapered brass collar from Treso for lapping, cleaning & loading at the range.
These rugged military rods have swivel 'T' handles that prevents 'rifling' from unscrewing your lapping tool or cleaning/loading jag.
Relic shooter
I also use a M2 cleaning rod but as you pointed out, a protective collar is absolutely essential to protect the muzzle rifling and crown. It wasn’t until I read your comment that I realized my M2 cleaning rod handle does not swivel any more (the one on my garage is from a different set and the good one must still be packed away from storage).

I recommend the hickory one for anyone new to this or those who don’t take instructions seriously. But a heavy steel rod with a freely swiveling handle won’t try to twist in your hands as it follows the rifling.

I use to lap my own, however I currently have a new custom rifle with a very rough barrel. I am looking for a smith who can remove the breach and do a full length lap. Hit me up if you have a guy.

I use to lap my own, however I currently have a new custom rifle with a very rough barrel. I am looking for a smith who can remove the breach and do a full length lap. Hit me up if you have a guy.
I don’t blame you. Sometime that breach just doesn’t want to come out from vise and breach plug wrench, when they have lots of corrosion. Then heat and other methods of encouragement are needed. I’ve never attempted it on an original.

Is it an old original or something that has seen abuse or neglect since the 1970’s or so? I don’t know anyone around here that does that but will touch base with you if I hear of someone.

I don’t blame you. Sometime that breach just doesn’t want to come out from vise and breach plug wrench, when they have lots of corrosion. Then heat and other methods of encouragement are needed. I’ve never attempted it on an original.

Is it an old original or something that has seen abuse or neglect since the 1970’s or so? I don’t know anyone around here that does that but will touch base with you if I hear of someone.
Thanks, The barrel is less than a year old. It was part of a custom build. I would not mind removing the breach myself. But currently I am not setup to do it. I guess that I should draw up a tool that I can have shop cut for me. Then I can just use a heavy vice to hold it.

Thanks, The barrel is less than a year old. It was part of a custom build. I would not mind removing the breach myself. But currently I am not setup to do it. I guess that I should draw up a tool that I can have shop cut for me. Then I can just use a heavy vice to hold it.
There are breach plug wrenches that might save having to make one. Just protect the barrel from the vise jaws and grip the breach plug where it won’t show when reassembled. I use a nickel based anti seize compound to coat the threads so next time it comes apart easier.

The Dixie Gun Works

MT0303 Breechplug Wrench​

Is currently out of stock. It may be better to search BP suppliers for wrench and then see what they have.
This is 20” long and maybe not hard to make one if for use on a traditional type breechplug. There are a variety listed for the Italian guns if you google search. They are for specific guns like CVS or Traditions.

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2275.jpeg
    IMG_2275.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 0
This is 20” long and maybe not hard to make one if for use on a traditional type breechplug. There are a variety listed for the Italian guns if you google search. They are for specific guns like CVS or Traditions.
Hi Bob, Thanks for the post. I have been looking at some wrenches that are designed like that. Being fairly new to my home, I need to setup my work bench and get my vice set. At the same time I might have a local shop make a tool that is an exact fit.

Hi Bob, Thanks for the post. I have been looking at some wrenches that are designed like that. Being fairly new to my home, I need to setup my work bench and get my vice set. At the same time I might have a local shop make a tool that is an exact fit.
I think if you had a piece of 1/4” or thicker flat bar you could take a Dremel cutting disk and approximate the shape of your plug’s tang and make it a little longer so it could be used on other rifles too. You may not even need 1/4” and if 3/16” is available it is worth trying.

i have never needed anything more than a 12" Cresent wrench to remove a breech plug. always work from the underside and make sure it is snug. protecting the flats in the vise is the most important part of the equation. also be sure to clamp the barrel with the breech free from the jaws or you will fight yourself.
of course this for a tanged plug, if it is a patent breech you are on your own. I quit using them.

Latest posts

Back