• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Told a Big, Fat Lie a Couple of Weeks Ago

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
Gotta fess up fellas. A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread that described a hunting experience I had that day. In a nutshell, I passed on a large 10 point buck while hunting with a muzzleloader. Felt sorry for the deer, and had an overwhelming desire to never kill again, even though I continued to go out with my rifle.

Well, a few weeks after that, I was asked to go out and help a financially struggling family, as many of us are, fill their freezer with meat. Really had no intention of killing a deer ever again, but was talked into it, unsure if I could/would pull the trigger or not. But I went, almost hoping I wouldn't see anything. Took my Cabelas Hunter Hawken in .54 with me, as I have just recently installed a peep sight (Lyman 57) on it, and wanted to see how it would work in the woods. Went out and sat on a log, way back in the woods, and wasn't there 5 minutes before I heard a commotion headed my way thru the leaves and brush. Saw a doe first, running frantically from two identical looking bucks, headed straight for me. Six decades of pursuing deer kicked in without thinking, and as soon as one of the bucks stopped 15 yards away, I let him have it with a .530 ball propelled by 60 grains of Swiss 3f. Put him right down, but I reloaded quickly just in case. No sooner got reloaded, and a HUGE (counted at least 14 points very quickly!) buck came right down the same path, and stopped 10 yards away, never realizing I was right there. In Missouri, we are only allowed one buck, and I had a 10 point already on the ground, so Big Boy got to live another day.

In reality, if those deer had not been running, triggering my predatory instinct, I would not have shot. Even the Big Guy would have got a pass. Still, some folks got some needed meat, and they were very happy to drag the buck out of the woods for me. Sorry to tell a lie a couple of weeks ago, hopefully I'm done now, as I did have very mixed emotions and remorse as I saw this deer lying there. Old age is turning me into a Sissy Boy.

Attachments

• 20231121_152004.jpg
    20231121_152004.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
I really don't empathize with the mixed emotions. I think you done well. You should be proud of 1) bagging your deer 2) donating the meat to a needy family. There's too many deer around, anyway. I saw a half dozen does in my neighborhood just today. Better to thin them out and put the harvest to good use. In my sights, you're one heck of an A-OK guy. :thumb:

Last edited:
Gotta fess up fellas. A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread that described a hunting experience I had that day. In a nutshell, I passed on a large 10 point buck while hunting with a muzzleloader. Felt sorry for the deer, and had an overwhelming desire to never kill again, even though I continued to go out with my rifle.

Well, a few weeks after that, I was asked to go out and help a financially struggling family, as many of us are, fill their freezer with meat. Really had no intention of killing a deer ever again, but was talked into it, unsure if I could/would pull the trigger or not. But I went, almost hoping I wouldn't see anything. Took my Cabelas Hunter Hawken in .54 with me, as I have just recently installed a peep sight (Lyman 57) on it, and wanted to see how it would work in the woods. Went out and sat on a log, way back in the woods, and wasn't there 5 minutes before I heard a commotion headed my way thru the leaves and brush. Saw a doe first, running frantically from two identical looking bucks, headed straight for me. Six decades of pursuing deer kicked in without thinking, and as soon as one of the bucks stopped 15 yards away, I let him have it with a .530 ball propelled by 60 grains of Swiss 3f. Put him right down, but I reloaded quickly just in case. No sooner got reloaded, and a HUGE (counted at least 14 points very quickly!) buck came right down the same path, and stopped 10 yards away, never realizing I was right there. In Missouri, we are only allowed one buck, and I had a 10 point already on the ground, so Big Boy got to live another day.

In reality, if those deer had not been running, triggering my predatory instinct, I would not have shot. Even the Big Guy would have got a pass. Still, some folks got some needed meat, and they were very happy to drag the buck out of the woods for me. Sorry to tell a lie a couple of weeks ago, hopefully I'm done now, as I did have very mixed emotions and remorse as I saw this deer lying there. Old age is turning me into a Sissy Boy.
Didn't see a lie in your post. 😇😊

You didn't do it for the bragging rights like most of us have done in our youth, you did it for a good cause I don't consider your earlier post as a lie.
I haven't even been in the woods this year but if I knew there was a family out there that needed help feeding themself I'd be out there this morning.

Not really, you helped a family in need and that is the greater good. It was not for your personal satisfaction or desire. You would still be the same man if someone had not asked for help so someone asking you for help and you provide it does not change the man.

Call it hunters maturity, you don't feel the drive to kill everything you see. Ive started passing on small bucks, which is dumb in my area, if you want meat. Generally don't even see a buck so passing on one can be bad. But it's done and I don't regret it.

I find it enjoyable to watch them, and don't feel the necessity to shoot so much anymore.

I don't see a lie. Although I think you used that for lack of a better term.
I don't even really see a change in perspective, just a change in circumstance or situation. You had the skills, and the luck that someone in need could receive benefit from and acted appropriately to help.

Maybe this question is just a thought exercise but maybe you can get some benefit from it, maybe even find a way to keep hunting in at least a limited capacity.
When you have taken an animal in the past, do you "pray" (this could be a relative and individually/personally defined term) over, offering thanks and apology to the animal for sacrificing it's life?
This may seem silly to some, especially to those for whom only antlers, of the biggest most measurable kind, matter.... But, it has a long history in many cultures, and when the animal has been presented to you by nature/God/the cosmos (however you look at it) it seems only right to take what is offered and be thankful and show that gratitude,,, and there is nothing wrong with a little sorrow at the sacrifice either.
If you haven't or don't, do you think doing so might change your feelings or help assuage any guilt, if/when you do take an animal to feed your family or the family of someone else in need?
Again, mostly just something to think about, probably best not to succumb to one's first "knee jerk" response to these questions.

Sorry to be so long. For what it's worth, I think, "ya done good."

I always liked deer hunting but would only hunt if I had room in the freezer or needed the meat. I started working for the Kentucky Park system. a few years back, I see beautiful does and large bucks almost every day when I drive into work. I enjoy just watching them anymore and don't have the itch to kill. Now the darn squirrels that chew on everything they can is another story. I think I know where your coming from though.
Merry Christmas

I don't see a lie. Although I think you used that for lack of a better term.
I don't even really see a change in perspective, just a change in circumstance or situation. You had the skills, and the luck that someone in need could receive benefit from and acted appropriately to help.

Maybe this question is just a thought exercise but maybe you can get some benefit from it, maybe even find a way to keep hunting in at least a limited capacity.
When you have taken an animal in the past, do you "pray" (this could be a relative and individually/personally defined term) over, offering thanks and apology to the animal for sacrificing it's life?
This may seem silly to some, especially to those for whom only antlers, of the biggest most measurable kind, matter.... But, it has a long history in many cultures, and when the animal has been presented to you by nature/God/the cosmos (however you look at it) it seems only right to take what is offered and be thankful and show that gratitude,,, and there is nothing wrong with a little sorrow at the sacrifice either.
If you haven't or don't, do you think doing so might change your feelings or help assuage any guilt, if/when you do take an animal to feed your family or the family of someone else in need?
Again, mostly just something to think about, probably best not to succumb to one's first "knee jerk" response to these questions.

Sorry to be so long. For what it's worth, I think, "ya done good."
I do pray, both to the Maker and the spirit of the dead game

Latest posts

Back