• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Kit Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not counting the one I put together fifty-some years ago that I bought at a hobby shop and never shot.

Today I got my first kit as a semi-coherent adult, a Pedersoli KY flintlock pistol.
Those things are pretty rough, aren't they?

I'm still undecided how I'm going to shape the grip. One side has three prominent lines, including the line that you see on a lot of pistols running from the lock to the butt. The other side is darn near missing that line from the brass piece to the butt. I guess I wasn't expecting things to not at least be symmetrical. Now I have to decide it I want to remove that line from the one side, or add it to the other side. I'll probably meet somewhere in the middle.
And it probably doesn't help that I hate working with wood...

But I have already taken a 4-way to it and some 140grit.
The channel for the ramrod had a 1" long "dent" in it by the rear thimble where the side of the gun meets the round channel. That sharp corner that runs alongside the ramrod. So I took the channel down on both sides until the corners were the same height as the dent, making the dent no longer. Then blended things in. One small step for mankind, one giant step for me :)

And what is up with that nose cap? I thought it said color case hardened, but it looks like raw cast metal to me???

I also noticed that aside from the inletting for the lock and brass piece, that most of the wood is proud. I'm guessing that is to account for sanding. I would have rather blended the metal to meet the wood myself. But depending on things I may have to anyway, lol.

Wish me luck!

Ah... I don't think I've ever seen that acronym. Most forums/members post the smiley/emoji or whatever they are called now ;) Maybe we don't have that group of people holding up signs here.

I was going to post a pic if I finish it and it comes out.
I just started the thread in case I have questions. Then I have a place to post them. And to create a timeline.

I'll take some pics of the grip.

Good luck! The Pedersoli kits do have a lot of proud wood but it is easily workable. The metal on my Charleville kit was very rough cast and needed the most work but was a good learning experience!

Here you go @64Springer , pictures.

This grip will be the last thing I tackle. Nice dent by the butt on that one side, huh? And the chattermarks on the other? Sheesh.
IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

That's a lot of blending in the grip area.

I would have expected cleaner lines from Pedersoli.

May look really nice with a rounded grip.

Last edited:
@pacanis, congrats on your kit. I find it helpful to study as many photos of the originals that you can. I built a Pedersoli Kentucky a few years ago. Here’s some photos.

Attachments

• 1FFA2BAA-1760-47DC-BF03-3F1076E1F40B.jpeg
    1FFA2BAA-1760-47DC-BF03-3F1076E1F40B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • B7DD5263-CEE7-4DC1-9F21-A35955CB715A.jpeg
    B7DD5263-CEE7-4DC1-9F21-A35955CB715A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 35E7D270-00B9-4DA9-89DB-535E1FAF1B9B.jpeg
    35E7D270-00B9-4DA9-89DB-535E1FAF1B9B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 5D4F673E-3CFD-43D8-AFD7-978BFEFA3142.jpeg
    5D4F673E-3CFD-43D8-AFD7-978BFEFA3142.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
That's a lot of blending in the grip area.

I would have expected cleaner lines from Pedorsoli.

May look really nice with a rounded grip.

Tell me about it.
I was good at math, but I may have been absent the day they discussed converging lines o_O
Nothing like a challenge though. Go big or go home.

@pacanis, congrats on your kit. I find it helpful to study as many photos of the originals that you can. I built a Pedersoli Kentucky a few years ago. Here’s some photos.

Thanks. Nice build.

I've been looking at pictures. I typically research the poop out of stuff before I dive in. It does seem like it's the kit guns that leave the (prominent) line and the originals that don't have it at all.
I'd just like to know where Duelist 1954 got all that extra material to carve on his. It seems I'll be removing material just to get things smoothed out.

But it will keep me off the streets :ghostly:

Thanks. Nice build.

I've been looking at pictures. I typically research the poop out of stuff before I dive in. It does seem like it's the kit guns that leave the (prominent) line and the originals that don't have it at all.
I'd just like to know where Duelist 1954 got all that extra material to carve on his. It seems I'll be removing material just to get things smoothed out.

But it will keep me off the streets :ghostly:
Thanks. Yeah, my builds keep me from wandering around in the woods at night! Good luck with your build.

More stock shaping done today.
That raised section of wood where the lock goes and the side plate goes, that was not a smooth cut on the curved part and the pointed end where it goes into the grip. But the curved part on both sides was the worse. It looked like whatever milled out the wood had some play in it when following the curve. It was not a smooth or even arc.

This is about halfway done. I just have a couple more areas to even up into a nice arc and then blend the radius into the main stock.
IMG_7765.JPG

I also put quite a bit of work into the grip. Mostly using the 4-way, so a LOT of sanding is in my future.
It pained me to have to work out that divot (above pic) and then remove that much wood from the *good side* to make the grip symmetrical. I should have just held it against the disc sander, but I used the 4-way on that, too. Long process. The butt of the gun will have a teardrop shape now when that gets blended in.

Almost time for a beer 😇

Bringing the wood down to the metal in some areas and the metal down to the wood in other areas. And also starting the polishing of the side plate as a byproduct.

I don't suppose there's a way to lessen the gap where Pedersoli inlet it too big, is there? Probably not without fudging things I imagine.

IMG_7768.JPG

I had to do some major reshaping of the grip to get the one side to match the other where that divot was. Right now I've got it pretty close. By my eyes anyway.
I'm going to leave it alone and look at it later for a new perspective.

That might work.

I know moisture can swell a small dent. Especially when coupled with a little heat. Wood having a memory and all.

I think I'll cut a narrow strip of paper towel and lay it in there where the gap is and see what happens. Even if I can get some fuzz/fibers to grow that would help make it less noticeable.

Good suggestion.

I thought these things came a little small. But I have to say I was not looking forward to opening the inlets. The lock fits nice.

Probably a good enough polish job. If I was going with a glossy stock and a browned or blued barrel I'd take it further.

IMG_1646.jpg

It’s a kit! It’s going to require some work with proper tools.
Take your time building your gun. The internet is loaded with examples of crudely built guns where the amateur builder didn't and just slapped the kit together. As mentioned look a originals for inspiration.

Back