• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Meat and potatoes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene L said:
nhmoose said:
Uh Meat gets canned when around no DNA then Figure it out if you can not???????

Please explain your post. It's indecipherable. I know a little about canning but nothing about DNA.

I know a little about canning and much more about DNA, but it's still undecipherable...

ImVho, most people who "fail to do well" with crockpots fail because of one of two things:

1. Trying to use crockpots for an "all purpose cooking appliance"
OR
2. Failing to read/follow directions including with the slow-cooker OR in any of the cookbooks, that are written for those appliances.

Note: Currently, I have 8 crockpots of from 4 to 10 liter capacity & from less than a year to nearly 30 years old.
(I do a lot of cooking for charity, church functions & for service clubs; the crockpot is my "secret weapon" for cooking for a crowd.)

Imo, the best place & time to find "a screaming deal" on a slow-cooker is in January & February at thrift stores. = Often, you can find a NEW/NICE-quality slow-cooker, still in the box, for 10.oo or often less at that time of year.
(Unwanted holiday presents, is my guess.)

yours, satx

Brokennock said:
Sounds like some meat is being procured outside the grocery store without "tags" or concern for "season" dates. But I'm just guessing.

Got a friend who cans deer meat, well within season and since the seasons are generous and deer are plentiful until recently, cans enough to do him. He thinks it's very good! Puts a pepper and an onion in the jar and when he eats it, pours some brown gravy over it.

My mother used to can chicken. I don't remember how as I was a kid, but I loved it. Don't remember how it was prepared over a wood stove, but it sure was good.

OK, but as a career cop, I can't imagine (a) a game warden obtaining probable cause for a search warrant to seize and test any canned meat, or (b) a lab doing DNA tests on any meat except human flesh. DNA is an extremely expensive and painstaking procedure. In GA, testing game DNA just isn't done.

I guess the fish cops are pretty dedicated in NH.

:)

nhmoose said:
Brokennock said:
Sounds like some meat is being procured outside the grocery store without "tags" or concern for "season" dates. But I'm just guessing.
Good guess Cooked or canned meat has no DNA so cannot be tested by fish cops.
That is not accurate. Boiling water temperatures denature but do not destroy DNA...

Gene L said:
OK, but as a career cop, I can't imagine (a) a game warden obtaining probable cause for a search warrant to seize and test any canned meat, or (b) a lab doing DNA tests on any meat except human flesh. DNA is an extremely expensive and painstaking procedure. In GA, testing game DNA just isn't done.

I guess the fish cops are pretty dedicated in NH.

:)
NH and ME standard procedure when busting someone for possession. They have money obviously GA don't what can I tell you.

In nh they arrested the winner of the big statewide ice fishing derby 20K cash and the boat prize seized because the said the fish was not caught in the lake he stated.

Two years later in court they were asked why not and they stated the fish do not go from that lake to the next on the Conn river. The Judge himself asked the Fish PIG is there a net or dam or something keeping them from going up stream and the answer was No.

The man was then released as the judge found no reason for the arrest or claim.
Another trial returned the money and boat to the man as it was taken under the color of authority violating his rights.

Up hear in rural new England they are not game wardens anymore just conservation officers more like anti-hunters or gunners except for a very few of them they are not loved or respected at all.

Well, you're talking $20K, and that much money is going to raise some legitimate questions. For that much money it's more than a conservation officer question, it's a Grand Larceny issue.

Not sure DNA was involved in the case you cite. A fish is a fish and DNA can't decide which body of water a fish came from.

Just for the record. Your "fish PIG" comment is offensive, but I notice you've mentioned it and poaching in other threads so maybe it makes sense.
And your blanket statement about game wardens in New England is IGNORANT and offensive.

Brokennock said:
Just for the record. Your "fish PIG" comment is offensive, but I notice you've mentioned it and poaching in other threads so maybe it makes sense.
And your blanket statement about game wardens in New England is IGNORANT and offensive.
Telling you what they are called by the majority of hunters in Northern New England so not ignorant offensive to you but not to many who have put up with them in the last 2 decades.

They want a better rep they should work on it as I said there are some good ones but the "new breed" are want to be State troopers for what ever reason they want to be a meter maid for.

Showing disrespect to them is no way for a good working relationship to develop. Name-calling shows you've already lost the battle...

Gene L said:
Well, you're talking $20K, and that much money is going to raise some legitimate questions. For that much money it's more than a conservation officer question, it's a Grand Larceny issue.

Not sure DNA was involved in the case you cite. A fish is a fish and DNA can't decide which body of water a fish came from.
Look the case up NH winter fishing derby about 10 years ago.

2-3 lawyers in NH will do pro-bono against the F&G it has gotten that bad.

I agree, but being disrespectful doesn't get you anywhere. I also lends weight to their point of view and makes you (not them) look bad...

I hold them to the same standards I held to when I was employed. Period. Lesser don't look for excuses for being abusive under the color of law. Sorry but times where there is no compromise.

Being disrespectful is not the same as telling the truth. I thank you for trying to understand.

I do not care about feelings if I did I would be a Democrat/Marxist Not aimed at you for sure this is a discussion. But being called ignorant by someone from away hits a button.

In 2 weeks I am much more friendly as all those from away will be gone.

nhmoose said:
But being called ignorant by someone from away hits a button.
I know how you feel. it smarts, doesn't it, like being called a Democrat/Marxist.

Spence

Being a former Wildlife Agency employee myself, I am enjoying this discussion. As far as using DNA, fish biologist are constantly using DNA in their work, and I don't mean law enforcement, but in trying to study the populations of fish in various drainages. It sounds like they used some of that research to try and convince a judge the guy caught his fish in the wrong lake, but the judge didn't buy into it.

BTW, wildlife LEOS, like anyone else, do have to earn their respect. The attitude that just being an LEO means people have to respect you is a mistaken attitude. It is still supposedly a free country and anyone has a right to express an opinion, especially regarding the actions of public service employees. That also doesn't mean all criticism is right. A lot of it is misguided due to lack of being privy to all the facts. Some of it is well guided, though. It's one of those, "if the shoe fits, wear it" situations. If it doesn't fit, don't worry about it, IMHO.

Native Arizonan said:
Being a former Wildlife Agency employee myself, I am enjoying this discussion. As far as using DNA, fish biologist are constantly using DNA in their work, and I don't mean law enforcement, but in trying to study the populations of fish in various drainages. It sounds like they used some of that research to try and convince a judge the guy caught his fish in the wrong lake, but the judge didn't buy into it.

BTW, wildlife LEOS, like anyone else, do have to earn their respect. The attitude that just being an LEO means people have to respect you is a mistaken attitude. It is still supposedly a free country and anyone has a right to express an opinion, especially regarding the actions of public service employees. That also doesn't mean all criticism is right. A lot of it is misguided due to lack of being privy to all the facts. Some of it is well guided, though. It's one of those, "if the shoe fits, wear it" situations. If it doesn't fit, don't worry about it, IMHO.
Thank you, I have zero problem by the biologist but as you know the LE division will run from there. I understand all the training I had showed you how to beat the constitution as interpreted at the time. Also I was not popular at these courses.

My employer liked my results on arson however and I will state I Never pushed the line. I did not need to as the perps were always very dumb reason they did it in the first place.

Even then it was a crime against a person.

Back