• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Meat and potatoes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got to admit, I'm a M&P guy. While I like other more elaborate foods, I tend back toward roast beef, potatoes, onion, garlic, and brown gravy. Pot roast, oven roast, steak/baked potatoes, maybe some asparagus. Add carrots, and any root vegetable. (Bread of course, goes without saying.)

Anyone have some kick-ass recipes for the basics? Or hog and hominy? Any additions? I like green veggies, beans, etc., and love eggplant, squash, all garden vegetables, really.

Scroll down this page and the previous page and you will read answers for some of your questions!

Pssssssssst! ___ Just don't mention the word grits! :rotf:

I'm a M&P guy my self. Not so much any more meat on the grill (except BARBQ which I love),but slow cooked in crock pot is super. My garden produces lots of GOOD green stuff which I love in my Wife's made soups.

Slice an onion thin and set aside. Slice any wild or red tame meat in to half inch thick slices about one and a half inches thick. Brown in grease of choice oil butter or lard, you want to leave the insides pink. Remove from skillet then brown onion in meat drippings. When they are just start to carmilize add 1/2 cup beef broth and one half cup red wine to the skillet then when it start to boil, less then a minute add back the meat, cook at simmer just long enough that the meat is hot enough to make a good meal,2-4 minutes, and serve. You can have any tasteless stape on the side. Boiled and buttered noodles, potatoes boiled or mashed, rice, ect.
Or a garden salad, potatoes salad or baked beans. Works well with wild turkey breast, any sort of deer, feral hog, beef, or mutton and goat and lamb. With the Sheeps a pilaf is good on the side if that's not to far from m&p.
Should you want this with candles and wine, mushrooms and green peppers can be added to the onions as they fry. Then you can go all frenchy and serve it in a bread bowl with a pouched egg on top and Parmesan cheese stuck under the broiler until the cheese Browns.

With pork, wild hog or bear you want to make sure there is no pink in the meat.
As a side dish to this or any other meal out of the garden take your zooks and get one of those vegetable spagitti makers. Get you a big serving of zook spagitti raw in a bowl. Lightly say it and let stand about 15 min. In the mean time slice an onion into thin rings. Heat some olive oil in a deep skillet add the veggies and saute add some basil and pepper as its cooking. Should you want to go fancy and have a one dish meal from this, add some sliced mushrooms and cook just until it goes limp. Slice up about a half pound of pepperoni or take some lightly fried bacon, you want it limp but cooked, and add that to the veggies. Put in oven proof shallow dish and cover with shredded parmasan cheese. Put under a broiler and cook till cheese browned. Serve with hard Italian or french bread.

Should have made one post. Those braziers sold by so many suppliers will broil a small frying pan at camp. Townsend makes a big one and I would bet you coild broil with that but I haven't tried it.

We had slow cooker pot roast with taters, carrots, and celery last night with asparagus on the side.

Depending on the size of the cut of meat, I like 1 cup of red wine and one cup of water, plus a minced garlic clove..., maybe two, and salt and pepper... as the basis for the stock. Some folks like to add Worcestershire sauce, but if they overdo it there is too much vinegar (imho). (If I want sauerbraten, I will make sauerbraten. :wink: )

LD

One of my favorite meals is a thicker beef chuck roast w/ quartered onions, carrots, celery and potatoes slow cooked in one of my Dutch ovens. Garlic is necessary along w/ salt, pepper, thyme and a smidge of oregano. Towards the end, a little red cabernet completes the cooking. This isn't a "fancy" meal but surely is "mouth watering"....anyways to me. Of course, over cooking can really detract from not only the meat but also the veggies.

Lately have found that buying a decent beef chuck roast can be "tricky" in that some are not too tasty and some aren't very tender....or both....but when they are "just right", a feast for sure.....Fred

Mrs Coot has a simple crock pot "Hunters Stew" that we have enjoyed for years. Layers of beef tips, "baby" carrots, quartered small onions, quartered small potatoes and sliced mushrooms - all rinsed & drained before hitting the pot. Then a bottle of russian salad dressing for both moisture and spices/seasoning. It is even inside my skill level.

PS - I cannot think of a way to prepare potatoes that I am not happy to eat. :grin:

Despite what the fancy chefs say, slow cooking is the way to go. My wife is a gourmet cook and insists on HOT AND FAST. I can't convince her. Most stuff is just warm and raw. But I love her anyway even though I'm losing weight.

Depends on what you are cooking. Some require hot and fast while others require low and slow.

I understand that on some very lean, organic meats, that have not been aged, (i.e. venison) you want a quick sear to seal in juices, but this is not necessarily true for all over-the-counter meats. Pot Roast, which first appears as "stewed beef" was at a time when a lot of the beef that was cheap was not aged much, and was not very fat. It might also have been from an animal that was a bit older than a year, or from a dairy cow that was butchered. Any fat, and the connecting tissue in that cheap cut was then pretty tough, so by this method of slow cooking it then gets turned into the gravy, and the meat is thus tender when eaten.

LD

Large slices of potatoes, carrots and cabbage laid in the bottom of a slow cooker. A chunk of cheap beef laid on top. Add some cut up onions on top of that and some salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, mustard and/or whatever other spices you like the flavor of on top of that. Put the lid on and cook until the meat starts to falls apart when you try to lift it with a fork, then keep it on warm until you eat it. Every slow cooker is different. Mine has a high setting that can run for 6 hours, which is usually just right.

I gave my slow cooker to the Salvation Army. I just never was able to reach a level of satisfaction with it.

My slow cooking, which isn't all that slow is done on my stove top on a cast iron pot my mother used to use. And which I restored from a rusted wreck.

I tend to over cook beef in a slow cooker, or in any kind of cooker for that matter. Especially cheap, non-fat beef. This almost cost me my taste for beef.

I guess...well, I'm quite sure...I don't season it enough to make it interesting. Like roasted potatoes, like carrots (which I never peel, btw) but I'm a failure at pot roasts. Any seasoning tips would be much appreciated for my dying taste buds.

Back