• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PASS-TEE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE COOKING HACK!

So you can find the Pasty in just about anyplace the British empire existed. It's a specific "meat pie" in Guyana, which was once British Guyana. Be that as it may, IF you need the pastry wrapper for any of several dishes, empanada, pasty, meat-pie, & etc. and you're in a hurry, simply use Goya brand empanada wrappers for FRYING. Ten uncooked wrappers to a package, each wrapper is separate from the next by a thin sheet of plastic (like some pre sliced cheeses). Fill, fold, crimp, bake.

I found it next to the won-ton wrappers in the supermarket freezer. Look for the word "frying" on the package.

EMPANADA FOR FRYING.JPG

LD

Not living to far from Daryl Crawford up here in NE Pa., I have to agree. I like my pasties with beef gravy over them. I make Meat pies (Beef, Chicken, Turkey etc.) and they all get covered in gravy too. Our local churches used to have Meat Pie fund rasisers about once every 2 months or so. You always got a quart of Beef juice to go over them when you picked up your pies. I also use "Carrots" along with Peas, Onion, Garlic. and small diced Potatoes.
The under ground farmers here used to carry then in their pockets for a quick snack hence the other name we use, "Pocket Pies."
God bless:
Two Feathers

Smoked salmon with horseradish mashed taters as a filling works for me. ;)
Townsend found an eighteenth century recipe for ‘salmon the Italian way’. A patsy dough was made, the salmon laid inside then sprinkled with olive oil. Folded and baked. Townsend thought the olive oil made it ‘Italian’.
My wife won’t eat fish, so I tried it when she was at my daughters house for a weekend. It was real good but my 21st century mouth was looking for a bit more flavor.
Tried it next with mixed herbs and garlic and it was super.
Made one and let it get cold. Took it on a day trek in my haversack. A small fire just enough to make a bit of tea and this was real good

Townsend found an eighteenth century recipe for ‘salmon the Italian way’. A patsy dough was made, the salmon laid inside then sprinkled with olive oil. Folded and baked. Townsend thought the olive oil made it ‘Italian’.
My wife won’t eat fish, so I tried it when she was at my daughters house for a weekend. It was real good but my 21st century mouth was looking for a bit more flavor.
Tried it next with mixed herbs and garlic and it was super.
Made one and let it get cold. Took it on a day trek in my haversack. A small fire just enough to make a bit of tea and this was real good
The guest cook clarifies that the pastry made with olive oil was what the source of the recipe, Hannah Glasse, thought made things "Italian". I started watching the episode, and I thought if the Italian Way means using oil, then it was likely instead of butter/lard in a hot water crust paste, as it seemed very similar, and sure enough, the cook added water to the paste.

Since this was served cold, it was likely served with something like walnut ketchup and or mustard. I'm not sure that Mrs. Glasse thought these were travelling fare as we might today because they are "pastys"

Fish in Your Pocket?

LD

I plan to make pasties today. I make two versions, one with spicy italian sausage, potatoes and carrots, the other with beef or venison, rutabagas, onions and carrots. I add a pat of butter to the venison version. A pasty and a cup of tomato soup is a fine meal.

There is a town here in northeastern PA Pen Argyl. It is located in what is known as "the Slate Belt". The whole area is loaded with slate quarries. I believe that it was populated with immigrants from the Cornwall area of England, as they were experienced with quarrying slate. Their normal lunch food were Pasties. This is what they used to eating in the old country. There is a store in Pen Argyl called Mr. Pastie. They distribute them to stores locally. When I lived there we would get them for dinner a couple times a week. They make different varieties, and sell them either fresh or frozen. They are on the web for those of you who don't cook.

There is a town here in northeastern PA Pen Argyl. It is located in what is known as "the Slate Belt". The whole area is loaded with slate quarries. I believe that it was populated with immigrants from the Cornwall area of England, as they were experienced with quarrying slate. Their normal lunch food were Pasties. This is what they used to eating in the old country. There is a store in Pen Argyl called Mr. Pastie. They distribute them to stores locally. When I lived there we would get them for dinner a couple times a week. They make different varieties, and sell them either fresh or frozen. They are on the web for those of you who don't cook.
Yes Sir! Pen Argyl, the sun in the center of the Pastie Universe. Bangor has some good Pastie as well.

Back