• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Deerstalker Ignition Woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really shouldn't need a musket cap, but some people feel they need need the confidence created by all that priming charge.

It's a 50 cal, Is there a musket cap nipple made for the Lyman Deerstalker I wonder?
One of these from Track of the Wolf should fit: CVA-MS (6-1 mm), RLP-MS (6-.75 mm), or RST-MS (1/4-28)

Search - Track of the Wolf

Guess you're right. After 15 years my day is probably due. I'm sure when that day comes, I'll just clear it out and get by for another 15 years with the same method. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, the idea is to go very sparingly on oil in the flash channel. It's a very sensitive area when it comes to oil. Both for the gun, and to some of the people on here.

But I have put hundreds of balls through my lyman and I cant remember the last time I had a misfire. I stand behind my gun 100% and never have any doubt whether it will go bang. Hundreds of balls.
You sir have a good rifle. Long may it last 👍

After my cleaning process, I oil the heck out of my barrel. Then I push it into the flame channel with a tight patch... so much that it squirts out of the nipple. Then when I’m ready to shoot, I squirt brake clean into my barrel, and push it out of the nipple as well. Let it dry, pop some caps and then load. Been doing this for as long as I’ve been shooting, nearly 20 years now and no failure to fire... ever. The oil I use is fluid Film, I’ve used others through the years, but that oil works the best it seems.
I beleive what’s going on with your rifle, is that your not getting the oil out of the flame channel... try cleaning it with a pipe cleaner, as others have suggested... then go another step further. Spray some brake clean into the nipple hole, Use the red plastic straw provided on the can And direct it where you want it to go. Then follow that with the pipe cleaner. Should be pretty pristine after that.

After my cleaning process, I oil the heck out of my barrel. Then I push it into the flame channel with a tight patch... so much that it squirts out of the nipple. Then when I’m ready to shoot, I squirt brake clean into my barrel, and push it out of the nipple as well. Let it dry, pop some caps and then load. Been doing this for as long as I’ve been shooting, nearly 20 years now and no failure to fire... ever. The oil I use is fluid Film, I’ve used others through the years, but that oil works the best it seems.
I beleive what’s going on with your rifle, is that your not getting the oil out of the flame channel... try cleaning it with a pipe cleaner, as others have suggested... then go another step further. Spray some brake clean into the nipple hole, Use the red plastic straw provided on the can And direct it where you want it to go. Then follow that with the pipe cleaner. Should be pretty pristine after that.
I have done the same before now but with a can of contact cleaner.
In fact I forgot about it but could of recently benefitted from it had I remembered 🤦‍♂️

using brake clean or something similar to clean a flash channel is an option also.

a friend of mine would put zippo lighter fluid in his flash channel and light it up to "dry" the flash channel

claimed it worked well would also hold his nipple with a pliers and heat it with the zippo so no water could remain. he would go hunt national forests and stay in a hotel so everything he did had to work in a motel and the gun had to be 100% for the next morning.

brake clean in a hotel room might be a bit much.

It could be just a bad nipple that you got when you bought the rifle? The nipple's edge where the cap sit may be flatten. If it is the original Lyman nipple, they aren't known for being the best for getting spark to the powder charge to begin with. If you can get a 6x.75 (that is the thread size Lyman uses) thread Hot Shot nipple where you live that maybe a good choice for a fix with poor ignition or a AMCO as mentioned previously using #11 caps. Also "IF" you can order from Track of the Wolf from where you are at, that would be a good place to get them from. DANNY

I used to live in Australia in a prior life. I lived in West Australia
north of Meridan in a little place called Bencubbin. Was a wheat
and sheep station. Then went to NSW Darlinghurst. Loved it but
high taxes. You can get just about anything in Australia. Might take
longer.

There should be no need to change over to 209's if it is maintained properly.

What part of Aus are you from? Don't see many other hunters here.

I'm in Darwin now. Not many people hunt with muzzleloaders in Aus. Two of my friends do but they use modern inline jobs with scopes etc.
My Lyman absolutely flattens Fallow Bucks and I generally get into bow hunting ranges. IE 50 yards or less.
BP is pretty popular at the pistol club with revolvers but I don't know anyone else that uses a traditional style like mine.
My next rifle will be a Great Plains Rifle or potentially a Pederasoli Hawken Hunter

I'm in Darwin now. Not many people hunt with muzzleloaders in Aus. Two of my friends do but they use modern inline jobs with scopes etc.
My Lyman absolutely flattens Fallow Bucks and I generally get into bow hunting ranges. IE 50 yards or less.
BP is pretty popular at the pistol club with revolvers but I don't know anyone else that uses a traditional style like mine.
My next rifle will be a Great Plains Rifle or potentially a Pederasoli Hawken Hunter

Good stuff, I've shot a few fallow and sambar with them but mostly reds.

I'll be up your way later this year hunting buff with my BP. I almost ordered a hawken hunter but ended up going the Missouri River.

I have given it a really good clean, used a pipe cleaner and changed the nipple. Have some Remington #11 caps. Just ordered some more Great Plains Bullets and also have some Lee REAL bullets to try.
I have also ordered a Lyman Aperture sight for the rifle so it's getting a new lease on life.
I'll post the results...

Good stuff, I've shot a few fallow and sambar with them but mostly reds.

I'll be up your way later this year hunting buff with my BP. I almost ordered a hawken hunter but ended up going the Missouri River.
I thought about trying my DeerStalker on Water Buffalo but not sure if it will do the job. I might need to get a 54. I'm pretty sure it would flatten big boars though so looking forward to using it on them once the dry season gets here.

I thought about trying my DeerStalker on Water Buffalo but not sure if it will do the job. I might need to get a 54. I'm pretty sure it would flatten big boars though so looking forward to using it on them once the dry season gets here.

I guess it depends on what you're using. A heavy lead conical would do the job (at least thats the idea I'm running with).

I don't cast but want to get into it, something in the vicinity of a 450gr big metplat bullet is going to kill anything in the world maybe short of an elephant. I'd like to try paper patched bullets too, completely removes the leading issue.

Post up a thread next time you knock something with your smoker, love to see Aussies knocking animals with BP. I'm still trying to take a hoggie with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back