• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition WOES!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a BP barrel to be squeaky clean in no time, drop a tablespoon of TSP powder in the bucket of about half a gallon of hot water and then do your suction routine with the ramrod/jag/patch. It takes just seconds and fouling is dissolved. Wear gloves. It’s not good for your skin.

Just make sure to dry it good and oil it adequately.

I’ve used TSP/water to clean my TC 50cal Hawken since I built it in the early 80’s. It takes so little time to get it clean, and it’s still in fine shape.

TSP = Trisodium Phosphate. Available at any hardware store.

As stated above… 120g? Really?
My .50 Hawken does fine with 55g and the most i ever shot was 110g on a bet that I couldn’t hit an extreme distance target, I did, but i think you approaching explosion territory at 120g.
Sounds about right for a long-range load in a .54. My .451, 1:20 twist barrel likes 100gr 3F 777 for a 330gr bullet.
WaHoo, WaHoo, & WaHoo. It's firing perfectly!!! After a very intense hot water & soap flush last night. I did increase the size of the hole in my nipple..Simple job. Using my standard CCI cap, 80grs of Triple 7 FF, & a patched RB. Trying to save my Lee 300gr REAL for hunting. It's been raining so wasn't able to use my 50yd range. Shot off the porch, about 35yds. . Fired three shots, one right after the other. A big BOOM every time. No hesitation. All three smacked my target dead on. So satisfying. Got to thinking. My shop has bugs crawling around , every now & then. Was wondering if one might have crawled into my barrel last winter & made a nest in the bottom of the barrel? I have had bugs do similar things in past years. This rifle hangs on my shop wall, not in the safe. I know my rifle was sparkling clean when I put it up. Love this rifle . It has always been accurate , & a pleasure to shoot. When you hear that boom, & the shove against your shoulder, pure pleasure.
Got a 357 levergun with a pregnant bulge in the spout as a teaching aid. Dirt Dobber, I suspect.
Now everybody wants to talk about your 120gr load.

a friend of mine periodically has alot of problems with misfires...by chance also a GPR, CCI primers....black powder. I am convinced he leaves a very wet breech. I use windex frequently for a quick range cleaning, but I am a firm believer that a good hot water plunge and scrub ultimatley does the best job of cleaning the breech by far. After swabbing bore as dry as possible, give the bore a good shot of WD 40, then swab again . I occaissionally will make a small "mop" of a small patch balled up under the larger cotton patch on the jag to ensure "mopping" the breech area as good as possible. I believe firmly in dry firing before loading. Several times I have put the muzzle over a newspaper when dry firing, and have been amazed with what came out of what I thought was a clean bore (residue that is). Be sure to firmly press the cap down on the nipple too.

I understand it's frustrating to have misfires with your rifle. Since you've checked many things, make sure the small cap you put on top is on properly, and maybe try a different brand of caps to see if that helps.

He tried 2 nipples and carb cleaner. Nipple poker yea but you should see a little light it's clear.

I don't snap off caps on clean and dry nipples.. it's already clear don't dirty it. With firing just the cap there's no blow back I think that's when a little piece a junk gets stuck in there.

Powder? Caps?

Tapp tap the gun after dropping the powder.. make sure it travels to the nipple?
It is that paper that covers the powder in the cap on store-bought caps it clogs everything

Yea.. makes like a paper ash when fired that shoots right in the nipple and it's not easy to pick out of there. Noticed it only ends up in there when firing just a cap.
It is that paper that covers the powder in the cap on store-bought caps it clogs everything

Latest posts

Back