• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front globe sight adjustment Lyman Deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottK

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a really nice older Lyman Deerstalker that I’m setting up for my son to hunt with. It has never been fired and still has the original nipple cap strung to the trigger guard.

As an added bonus, it came fitted with the Lyman front and rear 57SML globe peep sights.

Other than needing a good cleaning (it’s been sitting in a safe for years) I noticed that the front sight is a good 1/16” off to the right. Not sure how well the below pics illustrate it but you can take my word for it I guess.

Is there a recommended tool for this? I’m very comfortable with tools and gunsmithing, and have used sight pushers on Glock pistols. Just never on an older ML.

Any advice would be appreciated. I figured I’d ask here first before doing something stupid like taking a hammer to it and/or breaking something.

IMG_0979.jpeg
IMG_0981.jpeg

I saw that as well when I posted the pics. It’s definitely not canted. It’s some sort of illusion in the pictures.

I just fit one of these a few weeks ago. The advice to drift is sound. If it does not want to go home, drift it out and wipe the bottom with a fine file which will decrease tension in the dovetail....but as said, do shoot it first.

I've had sights that appeared to be "off". Before I moved them I went to the range to figure out just how much they needed moved. Sometimes found out that they were right on the money and no adjustment needed. Sometimes not. Shoot first, adjust second.

As others have said, brass punch to the dovetail and *not* the globe. I have installed a couple of these globes. If it is super stuck, you can use a three sided file with one side ground smooth to open the sight dovetail (not the barrel dovetail). I am pretty sure if it is on that much, it just needs so additional taps to center it. Work slowly and hold the punch firmly so it doesn't slide off and mark the barrel. I use a piece of leather or a soft plastic auto body filler squeegee between the sight and the punch to protect the dovetail from getting brass marks.

Back