• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for my first flintlock...Pedersoli?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a new Target Jaeger. It is my second one. Both had super strong main springs and the cock geometry was off. Sparks landed forward of the pan. First lock was sent back to dixie, and I marked the parts. They did nothing on 2 attenps, so I returned it. I just sent in the new lock to Cabin creek / Emmig, so I hope it will be tuned properly. I also had a Mortimer, and it was amazong in every way. Probably the most reliable flintlock I ever owned.

The Pedersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge is a fine rifle for the money. I got a few of them in percussion and flint. The flint rifle is just as quick and reliable as any custom rifle I own or have seen in person, including some really high end stuff. I am not a good shot anymore (eyes can't see rear sight), especially with a flintlock, but my Frontiers will bust a clay pigeon at 50 yards off hand all day long, which is good enough for what I do.

A few upgrades I recommend, which are pretty cheap, are these. Get a real hickory ramrod, the factory supplied one will break. The factory front sight is horrible. It is very thick and dark, fills the entire rear notch and then some. Drive it out and replace it with a 3/16" tall thin silver blade. Also, drill the touch hole out to 1/16", I found that improved ignition to nearly 100%. I have removed to factory plastic looking finish (polyurethane?), and refinished with boiled linseed oil. Not necessary, but I like the look better. Are the Pedersoli's as authentic as a custom job? Nope. But you are paying one 1/3 to 1/10 the price of a custom rifle. I really like the easily removeable barrel for cleaning, not really how it was done, but a nice feature that does not detract from the appearance.

This is good info...I have recently picked up one of these rifles. What is a good source for the front sight?

Thanks, Jim

I was in your place a few months ago. I got a Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle from DGW and a Navy Moll pistol as its compannion piece. I am on 4000 acres in Wyoming. Nearest neighbor is a butte about a mile away. Over the past months, I have learned a g r e a t deal of how to n o t do/to do (ball jammed in the bore was the most fun. Now N O more charging other than with oiled packing!!!).

I fire elongated balls from my Colt molds. I size the balls to fit the rifleing (similar to dueling arms). No patch. Powder, one dry packing, one oil packing then the ball. Work v e r y well. I can do a 15'' group at 200 yds and 30'' at 300 yds.

Good fun.

The picture,- Just back from ranging. Both arms already have 'Ranging boundary incursion' experience.

Attachments

• 2021-10-26 16.50.56.jpg
    2021-10-26 16.50.56.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 52
Got to the range today, and put some lead down range. Oh, that was fun. A bit of a learning experience, for sure. Had a slight delay on some of the shots, so I'll need to tune my priming. Didn't shoot for grouping today; I'll do that when I put the new front sight on. But it hit where I aimed...okay, close, since I'm sure I flinched a little with the flash!

Learned a lesson about cleaning. Do NOT try to push a dry patch down the bore after a few shots. I had to pull the barrel, remove the touch hole liner, and dribble water in a few times. I let it sit while sighting in another rifle. Finally got it to come out with the assistance of a buddy. I was really starting to get concerned!

Got to the range today, and put some lead down range. Oh, that was fun. A bit of a learning experience, for sure. Had a slight delay on some of the shots, so I'll need to tune my priming. Didn't shoot for grouping today; I'll do that when I put the new front sight on. But it hit where I aimed...okay, close, since I'm sure I flinched a little with the flash!

Learned a lesson about cleaning. Do NOT try to push a dry patch down the bore after a few shots. I had to pull the barrel, remove the touch hole liner, and dribble water in a few times. I let it sit while sighting in another rifle. Finally got it to come out with the assistance of a buddy. I was really starting to get concerned!

Same goes for any muzzleloader, fortunately it's a mistake most of us only make once!

I really want a frontier myself one day, keen to see how yours progresses.

Well, once I figured out that replica black powder won't flash in the pan, things have been going well!

The Pedersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge is a fine rifle for the money. I got a few of them in percussion and flint. The flint rifle is just as quick and reliable as any custom rifle I own or have seen in person, including some really high end stuff. I am not a good shot anymore (eyes can't see rear sight), especially with a flintlock, but my Frontiers will bust a clay pigeon at 50 yards off hand all day long, which is good enough for what I do.

A few upgrades I recommend, which are pretty cheap, are these. Get a real hickory ramrod, the factory supplied one will break. The factory front sight is horrible. It is very thick and dark, fills the entire rear notch and then some. Drive it out and replace it with a 3/16" tall thin silver blade. Also, drill the touch hole out to 1/16", I found that improved ignition to nearly 100%. I have removed to factory plastic looking finish (polyurethane?), and refinished with boiled linseed oil. Not necessary, but I like the look better. Are the Pedersoli's as authentic as a custom job? Nope. But you are paying one 1/3 to 1/10 the price of a custom rifle. I really like the easily removeable barrel for cleaning, not really how it was done, but a nice feature that does not detract from the appearance.
Too bad, and ironic too, that the guys that are the engineers and owners of the Italian muzzleloader companies are not rifle or muzzleloader shooters.

Beautiful piece!

I got the Cabela's Blue Ridge version several years ago. I had some trouble sighting it in and as someone else suggested I replaced the front sight. That got results.

Now, first hunting trip I discovered that the powder was spilling out form the pan. Upon inspection I saw that the frizzen to pan closing had a gap. I decided instead of trying to repair it I would replace it with a drop in lock from L&R. The lock upgrade has a better closure, faster ignition, and in my opinion has been easier on flints.

As was also mentioned, they are fool proof simple to take apart to clean. I clean the barrel the same way I would a TC Hawken...bucket of soapy hot water, cleaning rod, and patches. After its dry I swab with lube and reassemble. Much easier than my Perdersoli Brown Bess.
What is the purpose of heating the water?

@smoothshooter,

The theory is that the heated water will clean better with the soap and when wiped out after warming the barrel, the barrel dies out faster.

In practice, the soap helps to clean and the barrel dries with the dry patch and a dose of water displacing fluids such as rubbing alcohol or WD40.

Back