• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Mountain Flintlock vs Pedersoli Hawken Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopHat

Flatlander
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to get my first Flintlock and these two have caught my eye. Traditions Mountain Pedersoli Traditional Hunter in 54 cal.. What do you old timers recommend ?

The Pedersoli, if one of the good ones, will be superior to any Traditions. BUT an average Traditions is vastly superior to a bad Pedersoli. There seems to be far fewer bad Traditions than bad Pedersolis lately. So I would argue the Traditions is probably the safer bet. I own several firearms from both brands.

@TopHat

I will add this-

While I've never had a problem obtaining Pedersoli parts (it might be a long wait and expensive!), Traditions parts are everywhere and relatively inexpensive. The Pedersoli you mention has no lock profile in the wood. It's actually kind of odd looking from a HC/PC point of view. The Traditions you mention, while the profile is overly large, it is there in the stock. Also you have the issue of the barrel of the Traditions as well as some of the furniture being Ceracoated. It looks FAKE. That said, Pedersoli is using more and more ceramic coatings themselves. When done well, it looks like the real thing. When done poorly it looks like a bad paint job. From a purely functional point of view, I vote Traditions based on your two manufacturers/models.

You choose wisely.
But a Kibler costs 3 times what a Traditions costs. And that's not including tools or supplies and more importantly SKILL to assemble the kit. A Kibler is not going to be 3 times more accurate on target than a Traditions. No one complains about about Ardesa (Traditions) barrel quality. If the OP is wanting a pure HC/PC arm than the Kibler is best, but if he can't afford it or does not care about HC/PC, then a Traditions will serve him well.

But a Kibler costs 3 times what a Traditions costs. And that's not including tools or supplies and more importantly SKILL to assemble the kit. A Kibler is not going to be 3 times more accurate on target than a Traditions. No one complains about about Ardesa (Traditions) barrel quality. If the OP is wanting a pure HC/PC arm than the Kibler is best, but if he can't afford it or does not care about HC/PC, then a Traditions will serve him well.
That is what made the decision so hard. It's alot of money and my skills are so so. You tube will be my best friend.

Agree with what your saying but the OP already pulled the trigger on a Woodsrunner. I think he’ll be happy.

And what gun will hold or exceed its value in years to come? I doubt a Traditions will. And from what I've read and heard, the "skill level" to put together a Kibler is probably not that much more involved than putting a Traditions gun together. Also, add the cost of replacing broken, worn out, or defective parts on the Traditions and the Kibler starts looking a lot more attractive. You get what you pay for, and in this person's case, I think he made the right choice.

I don't understand why people get practically enraged when they hear that someone picked a better quality, and more expensive firearm over the lowly Traditions. Maybe it's because not everyone wants bottom of the barrel junk.

Latest posts

Back