• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's see some "Poor-boys".

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scobrien said:
I am enjoying looking at the pics posted thus far. Here are a couple of pics of my plain gun, but this one does have a flat brass butt plate.

Steve

SANY0027.jpg

SANY0031.jpg

Very nice!

Ah yes Mike, perhaps a better intro to the gun on my part was in order. By plain, I was implying that this piece was limited to only four pieces of brass furniture and that it did not have a nose cap, entry pipe, side plate, or toe plate. As well, it has no carving in the stock nor a patch box.

I do realize your intended sense of humor in that your post applys to the wood grain. I also understand that you are a gun builder. So my response is put forth with full respect :)

Thanks guys...Steve

This thread is really making me look forward to getting mine!

I built this rifle about 30 years ago.

DSCF2330.jpg

DSCF2334.jpg

62cal Sharon, I was not real sure about half stock Po-boy's until an old man friend of mine showed me an original that came from Tenn. As you can see there are a lot of miles on this gun, I have shot every thing from Antelope to Elk with it. It has won me more prizes than I can count. The stripe around the but stock is natural flaw in the Maple. I got the wood from a builder friend of mine that said it was to ugly to sell to a customer. You can see there is 30 years of wear on the butt the elk horn takes most of the abuse. I have built lots of Po-boys since then but none of them could take the place of this one. I love my "ugly" Po-boy.

lockjaw said:
...tell us about it...

.45 caliber 44" swamped & tapered Flintlock Const. inc. slow twist barrel, full maple stock, deluxe Siler flintlock. It was actually Roy's personal gun, 'til I wrested it outta his sweaty grip! :grin:

I've long been a fan of the .45, though I know a lotta folk don't like it. I do. It's one heckuva paper puncher, and is legal for deer here in South Carolina. I haven't used it for that, though. (I've got a smoothie I use for just about all my hunting.) But I wouldn't hesitate to load her up and take one of our little deer within my effective range. (Not the rifle's range; mine.) I'm equally confident I could bark or take a squirrel in the head. It might make quite a mess of the head, but it is accurate enough. I have some trouble with my vision "ghosting" out the low rear sight, but I seem to have adapted fairly well.

Mostly I punch paper and kill cans with her. The only critter I've actually taken with it was a predator that came into my sights at the wrong time... :nono:

It's probably my second favorite smokepole of all. :thumbsup:

Here's a real one from my collection of old relics. I didn't clear this with roundball or lockjaw so I hope it's OK to post these... :redface:
Old Poor Boy
A couple things to notice. No buttplate and the nice way it's shaped. Very racey gun even though it is a low end example. Have you ever seen a larger bark inclusion in your life? :haha: Round barrel channel for an octagon barrel, one screw lock, probably percussion. Had set triggers and probably a brass guard. Is this cool or what?

Wow that bark inclusion made me cringe, haha ya gotta do what ya gotta do on a budget I guess!

So does a po-boy have to be a rifle? I built this long before (30yrs ago) I knew anything about building a double gun. Before ya holler, bare with me. I just knew I wanted a double flint and couldn't afford one.
DSCF2339.jpg

I started with a pair of barrels from a junk American Arms (Crescent) 16ga. that my dad bought at an Auction for $16, He still is wondering what happened to his barrels. (True story)
2 Siler lock kits, I did about 2 hours of welding on a Tipi trailer for them. Cost FREE (sort of)
A block of Myrtle wood that I found in a pawn shop in Ft Collins Co, Cost $15
13/16-20 Tap for the breach plugs Cost about $15
2 Flash hole liners. Cost $5
Triggers, Trigger guard, Entry thimble, and Butt plate come off a gun a friend of mine found in Wrist Canyon CO. Cost FREE
Breach plugs made from grade #5 Bolts, Cost $.50
Tang made from scrap steel, Cost FREE
Under lug made from a square RR spike, Cost FREE
Thimbles made from a 30-06 barrel, Cost FREE
Loading rod made from a Hickory dowel, Cost $1
Ram Rod Tip made from scrap brass that the Mill Wrights left laying around, Cost FREE
Hours and hours spent in the basement of an 85 year old man, scratching my head listening to his story's and asking him "now what" Cost PRICELESS

That would add up to um, hold on, I have to take my shoes off.
$52.50 (had to get the kids shoes of too)
Man my wife would have killed me if she knew I spent that much money on a gun back then.

Ya think that qualifies for a po-boy?
Bob

Mike Brooks said:
Here's a real one from my collection of old relics. I didn't clear this with roundball or lockjaw so I hope it's OK to post these... :redface:
Old Poor Boy
A couple things to notice. No buttplate and the nice way it's shaped. Very racey gun even though it is a low end example. Have you ever seen a larger bark inclusion in your life? :haha: Round barrel channel for an octagon barrel, one screw lock, probably percussion. Had set triggers and probably a brass guard. Is this cool or what?

...tell us the truth...it's not really old...you just got carried away on the antiquing...

Back