• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Rods -

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Getting ready to build my own range rod...I would love to see everyone's range rod that they have made.... Let see 'em boys..

Getting ready to build my own range rod...I would love to see everyone's range rod that they have made.... Let see 'em boys..
Dunno what there is to see? Mine are Hickory 48" wood rods X 1/4, 3/8 or 7/16 inch diameter depending on the rifle. The 3/8" (most used) has 2 cross pinned brass ends for receiving threaded loading/cleaning/ball removal acessories.
Larry

My stuff is pretty simple. Old wood rod with a couple metal prigs to maybe pull out a wet patch the day after cleaning. O, I had to try the new one from Kibler. I like the nylon bore guide. Prior, I have used the Creedmore from Track for many years. Have an older one that's shorter but stopped using it cause somehow the threaded end of something got stuck in it and I can't get it out. So I got yet another, bigger, 5/16 that I can grab onto if needed.
And, I do have a .50 sectional that the military didn't need. Cost 5 bucks. Like Campbell.

I broke my wooden rod a year or so ago so I had too make a new one..

The first lasted over 10 years..

Just be sure too pin the ends..😁

633370FC-97B8-4839-942C-5DC0E6C22E5E.jpeg

FBEC9216-EEE4-4806-BDB9-BFE87B5DDC55.jpeg

4694AA59-2FC5-496F-9707-5856630AF735.jpeg

FYI, I make Range Rods from thick wall tubular brass, as it has 95+% of the strength, but only ~1/2 the weight vs. a solid rod.

Here's a DIY Option using brass pieces, for rods up to 60" long!

I will add that brass prices sure have gone UP ... so check around for pricing, as the parts appear more expensive than from the last time I made some, no thanks to Bideconomics! I had bought enough to make 3 and they were only about $22 each back then (only a year or so ago), plus add a few buck or two for whatever your handle of choice is, e.g., a 2" wooden ball is $1 or so at local hobby store, or other brass needed if you want to make a T-Handle.

From the picture at the bottom, top to bottom, the parts are:
  • 11/32" OB brass tubing, bought in a 36" length - This is the SLEEVE
  • 5/16" OB thick wall brass tubing, bought in a 6' length (I would only use thick wall tubing here) - This is the MAIN ROD
  • 5/16" ramrod extension, 5/16" OD solid brass, threaded 10-32 on both ends, $5 from Muzzleloaders Builder Supply - These will be the ramrod threaded ENDS
Assembly:

-Cut the ENDS from the 4" extension into two 2" long pieces and remove the male 10-32 stud from one end of each
-Cut the MAIN ROD to your desired length
-Cut two 3" long sleeves from the larger SLEEVE tubing, your 'sleeve' could be longer if you think YOU need more strength there ...

-Insert the solid END, so that the 10-32 threaded hold show flush, into the 3" SLEEVE - Glue and pin together. I use a LokTite product that makes up space between pieces and permanently bonds them together (epoxy would work too!). Then pin with a brass pin/brad peened into a countersunk hole on each end.

-Then insert the MAIN ROD into the 2" of the SLEEVE on the solid END you just put together - Glue and pin together.

-Do the same for the handle end, making sure the tapped 10-32 female hole is flush at the end. When using 2" or so wooden balls for a handle, I tap drill a 1-1/2" machine bolt 10-32 that's epoxied into the ball, leaving 1/2" out. I also made up some T-Handles too ... but so far have never needed them.

There you go ... a CUSTOM length - light but strong - brass tubular Range Rod for only $25 or so (maybe more now with Biden Priceconomics)!

7C9C33D6-BF21-46DE-93AF-30E9BF79C177.jpeg

My 64" ramrod for my 60" barreled firelocks. The two 2" ends added 4" overall to the length. The rod almost appears 'bent' in the photo, but that is due to the lighting only.

R1.jpg

Accessory Tip End - Some may not care for the 'spliced section' ... but for loooooong rods like I use, believe me, the tubular brass is perfect! As is, I need to tip those long firelocks over at a good 45 to 60 degree angle to load them ... that would be much more difficult with a HEAVY and long range rod!

R2.jpg

Handle End

R3.jpg

Very nice rod, Dale, and well thought out. It ought to last a good long while.
I got to thinking back over the years and am pretty sure that in the days when Turner Kirkland was still alive and the Dixie catalog was a genuine hoot to read, they offered straight-grained hickory dowels for use as range and ram rods. I believe they recommended soaking them for a month in coal oil and always begged the customers to order several at a time so as not to have to ship just one rod in a tube. Does this ring any bells with the -- ahem! -- more mature members here?

I've been building my custom range rods for almost 30 years for friends family and others solid brass sometimes steel run of the mill comes with a generic file handle. Unless requested otherwise they are threaded 10-32 normally a muzzle gard and appropriate jag are added. most ask for custom handles and want special wood or fancy antique brass door knobs
DSC04096.JPG
DSC04098.JPG
DSC04099.JPG
DSC04101.JPG

It used to be that I could buy 3/8" brass rod in 6' lengths for $8.00 each. That allowed me to cut and make 2 for most barrel lengths I had. I orginally had 6 that I used with Scouts and 4-H kids trainings. I now only have 2 left as some Adults decided they liked them more than I needed to keep them

Your steel military surplus .50 cal rods with swivel headed T handles fitted with a tapered brass muzzle protector are best bar-none to fit most calibers simply by exchanging the combo cleaning/loading jag to fit the caliber.
Can't count the times I've seen frustrated shooters using rods with fixed handles who have lost their rod's tips down the bore due to being unscrewed by twist in the rifling.
Relic shooter

Your steel military surplus .50 cal rods with swivel headed T handles fitted with a tapered brass muzzle protector are best bar-none to fit most calibers simply by exchanging the combo cleaning/loading jag to fit the caliber.
Can't count the times I've seen frustrated shooters using rods with fixed handles who have lost their rod's tips down the bore due to being unscrewed by twist in the rifling.
Relic shooter
Thank you, again for including one of those .50 cal range rod with my Swiss Jaeger. Mil spec is great!

Thank you, again for including one of those .50 cal range rod with my Swiss Jaeger. Mil spec is great!
Most welcome Bill,
Very pleased to know this exceptionally rare flint-era Jaeger has a good home & will be well cared for !
Due to health issues I was never able to shoot this rifle with it's perfect bore, I & forum members look
forward to hearing about your long range accuracy results.
Best to you & yours,
Relic shooter aka Chuck

I make mine for my .54s out of half inch diameter dowel rods...One, I used a turned wooden handle, the last i made a handle from a deer antler, did the same for my short starter...

IMG_8207.jpeg
IMG_8208.jpeg
IMG_8209.jpeg

Back