• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor boy triggers. Single or double?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been doing some studying on antique Tennessee poor boy type rifles. I'm seeing that nearly all of them have double set triggers. Wouldn't a standard single trigger have been cheaper and simpler for the poor boy who was paying to have it built?

Is there a different reason?

Would a modern poor boy build utilizing a single set trigger be blasphemy/out of the realms of HCPCness?

My apologies, I see you asked about single set triggers as apposed to double set. Your own research shows double set to be PC but as to building one for your own use you will need to decide for yourself.

My apologies, I see you asked about single set triggers as apposed to double set. Your own research shows double set to be PC but as to building one for your own use you will need to decide for yourself.
I'm just mainly wondering why the vast majority of these antique poor boy guns have double set triggers when a single trigger would have been simpler and more affordable. Isn't that the whole idea behind that style in the first place?

I'm just mainly wondering why the vast majority of these antique poor boy guns have double set triggers when a single trigger would have been simpler and more affordable. Isn't that the whole idea behind that style in the first place?
I would guess that those rifles were bought by people that felt that being able to take a careful shot was very important and it’s more economical to pay for the triggers than wasting powder. Any rifle was more expensive then a smooth bore so the added cost of rifling deserves the other basics be up to the task.

I would guess that those rifles were bought by people that felt that being able to take a careful shot was very important and it’s more economical to pay for the triggers than wasting powder. Any rifle was more expensive then a smooth bore so the added cost of rifling deserves the other basics be up to the task.
Very good explanation.

Skimp on everything but the mechanics it takes to make the shot count.

Here's a bit of speculation. Not entirely on my part. I've read of this written by others whose opinions I respect.

The southern guns were predominantly built with double set triggers. The triggers often hand crafted by the builder. Now Here's the speculation. The builders often built their guns to a simple in the white state with the functional parts, eg., lock, triggers barrels being across the board the best that the builder had and could provide. Those were available to purchase as such, possibly even without finish as they were OR could be selected and agreed upon with the maker that additional features would be added to suit the buyer. When completed it could be anywhere from quite plain to highly decorated, carved and engraved.

The term "poor boy" wasn't in use back then. Neither was "barn gun" or "schimmel".

A local well to do farmer or merchant might select the exact same gun that a less well to do buyer would pick. One adding more features and the other settling for utilitarian.

That's a theoretical speculative scenario. Might not hold up to diligent research.

I would think the most accurate trigger to be had would trump cost when it came to feeding the family with game.

I also think that style rifle was in vogue in those parts and those times and had nothing to do with customers being too poor to have a fancy rifle.

A good single trigger can do everything a set trigger can do without all the expense and complications. Some will no doubt disagree. Probably even the smiths that built the originals.

Although I prefer set Triggers on my ML rifles, I was taught a valuable lesson back in the 80's by a highly respected elder ML here in Australia called John Kells (RIP).
His ML Rifles were mostly single triggered (but not all) as I recall, yet they featured a remarkable light trigger action.
As John showed me, it was how the trigger bar (hidden and extending back from the fitted trigger) was placed during installation; in regard to the horizontal sear bar that it triggered for ignition.
Difficult to describe without seeing it, other than the "elbow" where the Trigger was pinned sat within a 1/4 of an inch forward of where the Sear bar crossed above it. There was very little play in the trigger action enabling a light Trigger pull.
I have fitted a few that way and its very efficient if done with care.

By the early 1800s most bears and deer were gone so they were hunting squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, etc...Bores were typically .30-.40 caliber, so, you are shooting a small target, usually the head with smaller calibers, accuracy was the key...Thus, they went with set triggers.

Been doing some studying on antique Tennessee poor boy type rifles. I'm seeing that nearly all of them have double set triggers. Wouldn't a standard single trigger have been cheaper and simpler for the poor boy who was paying to have it built?

Is there a different reason?

Would a modern poor boy build utilizing a single set trigger be blasphemy/out of the realms of HCPCness?
Of all the terms invented by collectors/marketers, Poor-Boy or Po-Boy is perhaps the worst. It has nothing to do with poverty. Frugal? Maybe. Poverty? No.

All a poor boy is, is a rifle without a buttplate, sometimes without a buttplate and nose cap. Usually these are found with a very nice trigger guard. Usually, the workmanship is high quality typical of the "School" the rifle comes from.

You must not confuse these types of rifles/guns with mis matched parts guns built by unskilled makers (probably kids).

A so-called poor boy can be a very fine rifle. The big expense was in the barrel followed by the lock and triggers.

Double set triggers in American rifles go way back, prior to the Revolution or Independence War. Single sets....nope.

I have not researched, only owned one made by Jack Gardner. Mine is. 40 LH perc. had double set trigger. Loved hunting with it early season while temps are above about 40 degrees. Once temps drop down to n below the 30's i leave it at home. I have a problem of trigger finger in glove firing it after i have set it. I stick my gloved finger in and it does hit trigger it fires. I may or may not have my sights right & its a miss. I have found that any rifle i have with a smaller trigger bow makes trouble for me. Larger trigger bow more room to wiggle. Personally i like a single trigger.

I like the set triggers where the rear trigger "sets" the front or firing trigger. I mostly prefer them but I do have a few with single plain triggers that are delightful to shoot. Even some of the double triggers are so nice unset that I often use them without being "set".

Back