• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor boy triggers. Single or double?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just mainly wondering why the vast majority of these antique poor boy guns have double set triggers when a single trigger would have been simpler and more affordable. Isn't that the whole idea behind that style in the first place?
The ‘poor boy’ rifles were poor boy only by not doing frills, carving, patch box ect. They still wanted it to be a shooter
The workmanship on these guns was as fine as best coming out of the gun shops of Europe Pennsylvania and Connecticut

My apologies, I see you asked about single set triggers as apposed to double set. Your own research shows double set to be PC but as to building one for your own use you will need to decide for yourself.
Didn't Andew Jackson have a dueling pistol with a single set trigger? He just pushed the trigger forward to set it.

A good single trigger can do everything a set trigger can do without all the expense and complications. Some will no doubt disagree. Probably even the smiths that built the originals.
I disagree. I usually get better accuracy, from the same gun, when I use my set trigger. For hunting I rarely use the set trigger. For shooting competition, I usually use the set trigger.

In Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in the Go[lden Age Kindig list info from Leonard Reedy's Journals. He shows making a rifle for $7.00 and also a smooth rifle for $7.00, also shows a number of listing as made a gun $7.00 so the question is were the ones listed as guns smooth bore or Rifled? So many people talk about how expensive rifling is. Reedys most common repair was to freshen a rifle for the price of 0.25 cents.
I have found that a single trigger properly installed can easily have a trigger pull comparable to any set trigger. The current rifle I am working has about a 2 pound trigger pull.

As already been stated terms such as "poor (or po) boy rifles, barn guns, canoe guns, Late Lancaster/Early Lancaster, etc, likely were never used until the 20th Century. The original builders of yesteryear either used other or used no particular epithet for rifles they built.

The ‘poor boy’ rifles were poor boy only by not doing frills, carving, patch box ect. They still wanted it to be a shooter
The workmanship on these guns was as fine as best coming out of the gun shops of Europe Pennsylvania and Connecticut
SOME of the workmanship was good, but a lot was not. Pictures in the Kindig book show some pretty bad work by today’s standards.

SOME of the workmanship was good, but a lot was not. Pictures in the Kindig book show some pretty bad work by today’s standards.
The guild system in Europe regulated who could become a master gunsmith and open a shop. Not having that in the colonies or later in America anyone could open a shop. In Kindig's, Shumway's and others books you can see a large range of work. You have some like Isaac Haines and some others who were true masters. You have others like Wolfgang Haga who Shumway considered a master carver but none of the guns attributed to him were carved. Peter Gonter supposedly apprenticed to Haga was also considered an excellent carver but a poor engraver probably because Haga couldn't teach him. I have often wondered how many of the gunsmiths who came from Europe were actually Journeyman who were probably never going to become masters and later how many were runaway apprentice's.

Back